so discouraged!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hnl79, Mar 15, 2008.

1. hnl79

hnl79 New Member

Mar 15, 2008

I feel so discouraged! I graduated in December 07 with a Early Childhood degree. I went back to school to get this degree so I am 28. In my town there are 12 elementary schools. I was so hoping to get a job at the school I student taught. I had an interview and the principal wanted to hire me but I found out from my CT that the assistant principal did not want to b/c I was nervous at the interview. I am a first year teacher! Of course I am going to be nervous! So there goes that school. I had another interview last Friday, and i haven't heard anything yet. This morning I went to a job fair for teachers for the district I live in, and I wanted to cry. There were about 75 people there for early childhood positions. The interview sessions were supposed to be 15 minutes each and I had 4 interviews at 4 different schools. Two in which the principal interviewed and the others teachers from that school interviewed me. They all asked the same questions from a form they had. It was like a cattle call. I saw the teacher that sat in on the interview I had last Friday and she told me she received that thank you card I sent. Then she said good luck today, which makes me think I did not get the job at her school. I feel so depressed that I am not going to get a job. I do not know what I am doing wrong at these interviews! :confused: I already had to move back home b/c of a relationship ending. I am 28 I am not supposed to be living at home!:mad: I also have no health insurance. I am to the point were I am just going to go and work in a office somewhere. I did not think it would be this hard to get a teaching job. I just want to crawl in a hole!!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 15, 2008

The right job will come along eventually. I lived at home until 30! I graduated with a degree in elementary education when I was 26. I didn't find a job until last year. I'm 32 now. On my second school and looking again because of budget cuts.
    Don't give up something will come along. I sent out over 100 applications each year I was searching and went on countless interviews.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 15, 2008

I lived at home until I was 26 because it allowed me to pay off my car and my student loans faster. I would have stayed another year or two if my parents didn't decide to move out of the country :D. Thankfully I got a teaching position (private school) the year that they moved.

5. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

Boy do I know how you feel, i live at home and am about to be 26. I don't have a teaching job yet and graduated in '06. It can be so frustrating and I don't think I had any idea it was going to be so difficult to find a teaching job. Keep plugging away at it, and maybe be willing to relocate to find a good fit..I'm considering it myself currently! Good luck to you in your job search

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2008

Don't be discouraged. Sometimes the job search takes awhile. Just keep trying.
    You can't compare your situation with anyone else's or compare your life to where you thought your life would be. Eventually you will find a job and be able to be out on your own.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2008

I once had an interview at the school I student taught at. One of the teachers who was in the interview was giving me thumbs up and winking when I gave good answers. I didn't get the job. But I did get a job in the same district in a higher grade. The principal of the school I student taught at told me she was glad I got into the district, she thought I would be a great fit for a higher grade. She then told me she would have several 4th grade teachers retiring and she would love to have me if I wanted to switch at the end of the school year.
    I have heard that I'm more suited to intermediate grades before-but didn't want to believe it. Now that I actually teach an intermediate grade I love it.
    The moral of that looong story is-everything happens for a reason. Would I have been happy in that 1st grade classroom-maybe, but I would have to put up with all of the little things that I didn't realized bothered me until I stopped teaching primary. Now I can't picture myself teaching below 4th grade. Keep looking and you'll find the job that is right for you!

8. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 15, 2008

I am worried now. I will graduate in Dec with my degree in Early Childhood. I see that you are from SC and I really thought that job outlook was good in SC, but now I am seeing that I should be concerned.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 15, 2008

Hnl79-

You have a lot of weight on your shoulders right now. I have definitely been there. Please don't be so down on yourself. Try to separate the issues you have and figure out which ones you can control and it won't seem so mountainous. And count the blessings you do have.

Living with your parents...Millions of people do that. Millions of people go through things in their life that are not supposed to happen to them like loss of jobs, forclosure, major illnesses, death of a loved one, bankruptcy etc. Living with your parents certainly isn't the end of the world and certainly not permanent. Where would you be if you did not have them close? BLESSING

Failed relationship...Well that sucks :down: and probably hurts but even if you had a teaching job it wouldn't change the fact you had a break up would it?

No Health Insurance... I was in this situation with a husband and two young children. I was forced from permanent employee to contract employee and lost all benefits. My husband's company closed the office here and he was without a job and insurance. :eek: What we did was pick up some temporary health insurance that covered major things. I think it was about $250 a month for our family but it gave me peace of mind that anything big would be covered. There are also much better temporary plans if you need more coverage than that. Visit http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ and you will see many options there.

Back to working in an office... Not the end of the world either. In fact, it might be a short term solution while you continue to look for a teaching job. I will do this if I don't get a job this year. I can't afford to sub another year.

She said good luck today... I can relate to this. I read into every comment like this last year. This year I read into about half of them. It will drive you crazy, seriously. In your situation, I would try to think of it this way: what else could she have said to you? "Bad luck today." "We are going to hire you so don't bother with this job fair." Do you see what I am trying to say? Try to relax she was just being nice and saying the most natural thing.

Job Fairs... you should be happy you had 4 interviews. There were a couple thousand people at the one I went to. MOOO

Lastly, what are you doing wrong in your interview? :dunno:It's hard to say but you said yourself you were nervous so try to work on that and try to be yourself. Try not to come off as desperate. Just because you don't get hired after an interview doesn't mean you did something wrong, it probably means someone else did better, or fit the position better, or, sadly, knew somebody and had an "in".

Things will look up. :2up: Visit these boards and look for the happy posts. :) Everyone is here to help!

Lemonhead

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 15, 2008

Don't be so hard on yourself. Give yourself a period of time, say 5 months, to get a permanent job. It isn't going to happen overnight. It is very rare that a student teacher gets picked-up mid year for a full-time contract. Usually, they get picked up as a long term sub (with no benefits) with the unwritten "promise" of a contract for the next year (which doesn't always come true!)

Expecting to walk straight out of student teaching into a full-time midyear contract is expecting too much. You need to be realistic. If you do, you won't come across as desperate. If you seem desperate, you won't be able to get a job no matter how hard you try.

11. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 16, 2008

i am sorry to hear about your situation. i too possess an early childhood license and it's VERY TOUGH to get a job here too. my best advice to you is to just keep trying. i have worked in charter schools here for the last 4 years and although they leave a lot to be desired.....it's a job, it (helps to) pay the bills, and i do have benefits. if the public schools won't talk to you, maybe you need to consider private and/or charters. then you can continue to look for your "dream job" while you work and gain experience.

as for the living at home thing, i would not worry about this too much. i think my dh would have lived at home until he was 40 if i hadn't strongly encouraged him to move out! no, but seriously, i have read a lot of articles on how recent college grads. have to move back home due to situations like yours. they finish college, can't find jobs/jobs that pay enough for them to be self-sufficient, and so they have to keep relying on good old mom & dad. be grateful that you have parents that are willing to help.

sorry for such a long reply post! i will cross my fingers and pray that you find a teaching job soon! take care!! :)

Meri

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2008

My mom also recently told me that she read the average age of children leaving home is 31 because they can't find jobs that will bring in enough bacon. If I wasn't married I would definitely still be at home.

13. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

Hang in there! I didn't get a single interview the summer after I finished my program. Everyone kept telling me about teachers who got hired the day before school began but I wasn't one of them. So last year I subbed solely in the district where I student taught and continued to work 20 hrs a week for benefits for my family and myself. I am now a 40-year-old first year teacher and the pain of last year only makes this year more pleasant!

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2008

That elusive teaching job is out there. Don't worry. What are you talking about? I lived at home till I was 30 and wish I could go back. The grass always looks greener, but in reality it isn't .

What's so bad about working in an office. I do that too. It's not forever, it's in the meantime... think about how well rounded you are becoming. You have the luxury of learning and improving upon your skills....

Think about those lesson plans you don't have to write, because there will be a day when you are writing plenty. You can sub and work as you please. Job flexibility is so important and you have that option now.

I don't care anymore about finding a job. Quite honestly, my priorities have changed. Sure, I love kids, but sometimes the politics is unbearable. So, I currently have 3 jobs ! You can always find a part time job to get benefits.

Sometimes, you have to be willing to do the dirty work. Life isn't that bad. You just need to change your perspective.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

I waited for that last teacher job, too. This year has got to be my year. I will be so appreciative! And um well let's just say I am about your age too!

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

Can I hear and AMEN to that?

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

I wish there were jobs here to apply to!

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2008

Jaime- have you heard anything about the position you have now?

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

They posted it than they pulled it do to budget cuts.
    they won't know until after the budget is voted on in MAY!

20. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Mar 22, 2008

I went back to school too, and when I came out & was ready to teach I was 35! I was the top student to come out of the education program, and yet I could not land a job after I graduation. Everyone told me not to worry, but I was seriously freaked out. But they were all right. Schools didn't get serious about hiring until right before the new school term. I landed a job at the top high school in the state teaching advanced students -- dream job -- 2 weeks before school started.