So Discouraged :(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brcolema, Jul 2, 2007.

1. brcolema

brcolema New Member

Jul 2, 2007

I have applied to so many schools in San Antonio and Dallas areas of Texas. I have heard these are the areas in Texas where teachers are really needed. I started applying in April and I have not heard anything from any of the 15 districts I have applied to. This will be my first year teaching and my excitement is really waring out because I am so nervous and disappointed that I have not heard anything yet. Any words of encouragement???

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2007

Time for another round!!!

Send an email to each and every principal. Include your cover letter and resume, and mention that your entire application is on file in the district office.

Then broaden your commute by 15 minutes, and start over!! Don't forget religious and other non-public schools!

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Hi, there, brcolema!

Keep trying! Teachers in this neck of the woods (Fort Worth - Dallas) have until July 14th (or maybe even later, because school starts later this year) to tell their principals they won't be returning. So -- a whole bunch of openings will be happening in about two weeks. So, do what Alice suggested, and don't give up!!!

I'll be praying for you! :)

5. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Did you see this post, "Looking for Teachers" in the "Job Seekers" Forum yesterday? I know Baton Rouge is a long way from SA or Dallas, but it shows there ARE jobs out there!

6. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Texas teachers have until the 12th to put in their resignation from their contracts. Most principals are on vacation right now, to return in the middle+ of the month.

Start e-mailing principals, letting them know that you are interested, your application is updated and you are ready to interview!

7. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jul 4, 2007

Follow the advice of the other posters! I have an interview next week, and I totally believe it is because I e-mailed the principal.

I know it is hard to keep your hopes up...but don't give up.

8. kermy

kermy Companion

Jul 4, 2007

i know how you feel..i've been trying for a job for 2 yrs now... i'm looking ina small area so that's what i'm chalking up to. i'm hoping it's not b/c i'm bad at interviews b/c i've gotten quit a bit.

9. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

brcolma,

What is you certification area? I live in El Paso and Dallas ISD is recruiting teachers to take with them. I think they are looking for bilingual education teachers.

10. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2007

Personal contact with principals is the way to go. Get your resume' into their hands. You might also have someone evaluate your resume' just to make sure it is as wonderful as it can be. Try private schools and also look into interim positions-they're a great way to get your foot in the door. Don't give up. I just said a prayer for you.

11. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Wonderful advice Teacher Chele! I was just going to post the same thing.

I thought I had a great resume until I had a retired principal doing job workshops take a look at it. He offered some suggestions and I got a job after revamping my resume!

I find it odd that jobs are a bit hard to come by in TX, we are always flooded with TX schools at our job fairs here in OK! Don't give up. Email, call, send a letter. I sent out about 20 letters just weeks before school started one year and got 2 job offers! It is frustrating but something is out there somewhere! Good luck!

12. dnorris

dnorris New Member

Jul 6, 2007

There are many small school districts around San Antonio that may need you. I have learned that the large school districts are not always the best to work at (class size, demands. . .) There are many possibilities in the Austin area also. You did not say if you were high school or elementary, but keep your chin up. . .I know that my position in Austin will be open. . am moving to smaller school in San Marcos. And ditto on the personal contact- - -
    good luck, it will happen for you