So discouraged...any advice is welcome

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jennaleigh, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 28, 2015

Hi, I am a longtime lurker and finally made an account. Just looking for some advice, I'll try to make this short and sweet but I am sorry in advance if I ramble.

I live in Wisconsin. Graduated last year from a great college here with my Bachelor's in Education, certified to teach grades 1-8. I minored in social studies. I had a great student teaching experience, great GPA, graduated cum laude, worked at the preschool on campus all four years. Over summer 2014 I looked hard for a teaching job, and only got one interview, in one of the two districts where I student taught. One of my classmates got the job instead.

Towards the end of August 2014 I got offered a high-paying nannying job, and I took it. I loved it because I got to help teach the little girl English (the family is from Israel and their native language is Hebrew). A full-time, consistent job was so appealing but now I realized I should have subbed.

Now, my nannying job is over (they wanted her to go to daycare for the socialization - this was planned all along), and I really, really want to teach. I know the hiring season here is still early, but so far I've sent out at least 50 applications since early April and only gotten one interview. I got this interview because my best friend works at the school and recommended me. It was just a screening but I thought it went great. Just found out I didn't get a second interview. He screened 11 people and 5 got a second interview. (The principal told me to call him if I'd like to get his ideas and thoughts, and I will. I just found out and now it's late.)

I'm feeling really discouraged. I try my hardest to research and practice (read just about every interview forum on this site), but I'm not that great of an interviewer. However, I thought my interview went great! I gave great answers, was confident, dressed well, didn't have any nervous tics. This was the only school I really had an "in" for. I know it's only May, but I am so worried that because I:

a) have not only zero experience, but have been away from the field for a year while I was nannying
    b) don't have any special ed or bilingual certifications
    c) have no "ins" with anyone/any school
    d) live in a competitive state for teachers - I've heard hundreds of applicants per job

that finding a teaching job is completely hopeless. I wouldn't mind being a substitute, but I really need a full time job with benefits because of complicated reasons. I really WANT to teach, more than anything, but I feel like I couldn't even get a full time job with benefits doing anything else with an education degree and very little experience (just some retail jobs) outside of teaching. I don't even know how to write a resume that isn't for teaching! I'm willing to relocate, but right now I am flat out broke - all I have is money to pay my student loans and credit card bills for the summer; right now I'm living at home and my parents are supporting me otherwise - so I feel like relocating would be hard to do.

Any advice? I honestly have no idea what to do except to keep applying for teaching jobs, but it just feels so hopeless, and I'm tired of living at home with no money. Plus I need a job with benefits soon. I'm willing to listen to any suggestions.

SORRY this is so long! Thank you in advance.

-Desperate job seeker

3. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 29, 2015

I'm so sorry you're struggling! It sounds like you are just in an area with way too many teachers and not enough jobs.

You said you have no experience. Well, I wouldn't really think of you in that way. You worked for four years in a pre-school, so you know a lot about childhood development. You student taught and had a great experience (which is more than I can say). Then you worked in a one-on-one ESL environment. What a great range of experiences! It's all about how you look at things. ;)

My only advice is to keep searching, keep applying. Maybe broaden your horizons? Apply to private schools, international schools, special needs schools, etc. Again, you were worried about your lack of SPED or ESL certification, but many special ed and international schools don't even require special certifications. I'm not sure how desperate you are, but if you're willing to relocate, some international schools will provide housing and immigration assistance.

Definitely don't give up on teaching! You sound like a passionate person who is meant to be a teacher but has a few roadblocks in the way right now. I certainly hope you find a teaching job soon! :)

4. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

May 29, 2015

Keep applying! Elementary ed is difficult to break into in nearly every area. Have you considered moving to a less-saturated area? Some places are still hard up for teachers and need them!

I know that in my district, 300+ applicants is a common thing. You might try emailing principals with a cover letter/resume if the applications don't explicitly tell you not to do so. Also, you might try working in a before/after school program in a district you would like to work in- it may help you get your foot in the door with admin.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 29, 2015

It sounds like you need some help updating your resume. You actually have quite a bit of experience if you word it correctly. Try posting your resume here (without identifying details). There are many experts here who would help you.

We also have people who can help tweak your cover letter.

Give us a try to help encourage your search!

6. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

May 29, 2015

Take a deep breath. I can relate. I left a bad teaching experience midyear and am now currently working in a quick service restaurant making less than 15,000 a year. I now want to get back in the field, but am in an area with heavy competition. I tried to get another job in another district when I left, but without luck. I have definitely learned some much needed life lessons from it all. One, you can live with a lot less than you think. I plan to market that as being resourceful. Two, never never never give up. Resilience and persistence pay off. These things are usually things we teach our kiddos, but are hard to see when we are full of emotions. There are things you can do and options you haven't considered. Rest a little and look for inspiration. The above posters are right. A little perspective goes a long way.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2015

Are you willing to relocate? I'm originally from the same part of the country you are from, and I had to move in order to find a job. My current district has over one thousand openings right now, and another one or two thousand are expected. If you are willing to relocate, you might find more opportunities elsewhere.

8. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! I never thought of viewing my nannying job as a one-on-one ESL environment, but you're right. :) I will try to broaden my horizons. One thing that bums me out is that there are a ton of private schools here - many of my friends from college now teach in one - but they're mostly all Catholic/Christian, and I'm Jewish. Most of the postings say "practicing Catholic preferred" and I'm not sure I could teach the religion anyway - wouldn't that be weird? I feel like that rules so many schools out, though.

9. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

I would ideally like to stay here, but I'm so desperate to teach I would be willing to relocate. I am worried about the cost of moving there, as I'm pretty broke right now, but I will try to look into it more. Do you (or anyone else) know where I can find reliable information about transferring my license/certification to another state? And if I have to do/pay for that before I even apply to jobs in another state?

Thanks for the advice!

10. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

Thank you so much! I would appreciate that. I feel like my resume is probably too long and wordy, but I don't know how to condense it. It's exactly 2 pages, which is what my college program recommended, but still. I'm open to any advice/changes. Here it is:

OBJECTIVE

Seeking an elementary or middle school teaching position where I can utilize my skills and enthusiasm in order to create a successful learning environment.

EDUCATION

(Name of) College, City, WI
    Bachelor of Arts Degree May 2014
    Major: Education Minor: Broadfield Social Studies
    Major Concentration: Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence
    GPA: 3.69/4.0
    License: Regular Education (1777), Social Studies (1734)

TEACHING EXPERIENCE

Student Teacher, 7th grade Social Studies April - June 2014

Name of School, City, WI

-Planned and taught engaging units on ancient Rome, ancient China, and the Middle Ages
    -Created appropriate rubrics to use for assessing student growth and learning
    -Worked one-on-one with the special education teacher in order to meet students’ needs and
    appropriately follow students’ IEPs
    -Enhanced collaboration skills by attending and participating in seventh grade team meetings regularly
    -Used the Response to Intervention (RTI) approach to differentiate instruction for students

Student Teacher, 2nd grade January - April 2014

Name of School, City, WI

-Used positive reinforcement in order to build supportive relationships with students and create a well-
    managed classroom environment
    -Established positive, open relationships with parents of students by communicating with them
    frequently via e-mail and notes in students’ agendas
    -Used a variety of teaching strategies in order to differentiate instruction to meet students’ needs
    -Implemented cooperative learning strategies in order to encourage active learning and peer interaction
    -Taught using a balanced literacy approach including read-alouds, guided reading, and guided writing
    -Created instructional activities consistent with students’ socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds

Reading Intervention Experience, 2nd and 5th grade September - November 2013

Name of School, City, WI

-Worked with small groups of second and fifth graders
    -Planned hands-on games and activities in order to engage students in literacy instruction
    -Conducted PALS tests, including running records, in order to determine students’ instructional reading
    levels

Middle School Enrichment Project, 6th grade April 2012

Name of School, City, WI

-Taught a two-week unit on renewable resources and conserving energy
    -Learned collaboration skills by working with two other classmates to teach the unit
    -Incorporated various forms of technology into lessons in order to foster active inquiry and interaction in
    the classroom

Teacher Education Field Experience, 2nd grade November - December 2011

Name of School, City, WI

-Spent five full weeks in a second grade classroom with cooperating teacher
    -Planned and taught an interactive lesson on Hanukkah in order to introduce children to other religions
    and cultures
    -Planned and taught a daily small reading group
    -Planned and taught a daily read-aloud of Charlotte’s Web
    -Demonstrated effective classroom management skills by using positive reinforcement
    -Created a warm, learning-maximized environment by developing a close relationship with each student

CAREER-RELATED EXPERIENCE

Teacher’s Assistant January 2011 - December 2013

Name of Preschool, City, WI

-Worked with children from age two and a half to age five
    -Effectively managed nap time, lunch time, and free play sessions in order to create a safe learning
    environment
    -Assisted the preschool teacher with activities, games, and read-alouds
    -Gave children individual attention in order to form a warm learning environment

Nanny September 2014 - April 2015

Name of Family, City, WI

-Took care of a two-year-old and five-year-old for a Hebrew-speaking family from Israel
    -Used books, technology, and interactive games to help teach the children English
    -Planned fun, hands-on learning activities in order to prepare the children for daycare and kindergarten

OTHER EXPERIENCE

Study Abroad Experience January - April 2013

Name of School, London, England

-Spent four months taking classes in and traveling around Europe
    -Learned to adapt to unfamiliar environments and think quickly in order to solve problems
    -Became more culturally aware by embracing and engaging in other cultures while living in one of the
    most diverse cities in the world

HONORS

-Dean’s List every semester
    -Graduated Cum Laude

Again, thanks for any and all help!

11. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

Also, cover letters are so, so hard for me to write, and I don't know why. I'm actually a little embarrassed to post mine. I try to tailor each one to each specific job I'm applying for, but here's one of the last ones I wrote. Yikes! Again, I appreciate any help so much, you have no idea. :)

Dear (name of principal)/whom it may concern:

I am writing in regards to the sixth grade teacher opening at Name of Middle School for the 2015-2016 school year. I am excited to have the opportunity to apply for a position in an
    esteemed and awarded district that is dedicated to seeing its students succeed.

As a 2014 graduate of My College, my wide variety of preservice teaching experiences have set me up for great success as a classroom teacher. Throughout my four years at My College, I worked with students from various religious, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. These experiences greatly contributed to my passion for diverse, inclusive education and my ability to plan and deliver curriculum using culturally responsive strategies. As a preservice teacher, I collaborated with other teachers frequently and communicated often with families in order to build strong relationships and an environment committed to student success and improvement.

During my time in the classroom, I built a warm and safe classroom environment through positive behavioral interventions and supports (PBIS), open communication, mutual respect, and effective classroom management techniques. I reached learners of all types by including a variety of teaching methods in each lesson and using the Response to Intervention (RTI) approach. I am especially passionate about reading education and successfully led read-alouds, directed small reading groups, and provided one-on-one instruction using a balanced literacy approach. I also believe that technology is extremely important in education and have successfully implemented it into my lessons by allowing students to use devices such as SMART Boards and iPads to play educational games, create projects, and review material.

I am not only dedicated to teaching children, I am passionate about helping them set their own goals, seeing them succeed both in and out of the classroom, and molding them into lifelong
    learners. I believe my skills, experience, and passion would be a great fit in the Name of School District. If you have any questions or would like to set up an interview, please contact
    me at (phone number) or (email). Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Most sincerely,
    My name

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 29, 2015

You might want to consider subbing, maybe for the first semester of the school year, and then start applying for jobs in February / March (there are jobs during that time to finish out the year, even if just long term sub jobs.)
    This will give you experience and you can put something on your resume.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 29, 2015

I would encourage you to keep applying. This year Wisconsin seems to have more vacancies since anytime I can remember. Generally speaking, you are in the middle of the hiring season. There may be additional postings after school gets out in the next week or two. Right now principals are busy with a myriad of end-of-the-year tasks.

14. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 29, 2015

I read your resume and chuckled a little but because I am going to give you the same advice I give my daughter whenever I proofread for her: get rid of the extra words! I made some changes to just one section so that you can get the idea.

15. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 29, 2015

I'd hire you!

My college recommended just one page, which is SO hard for me because I like writing words. :lol: We have pretty similar levels of experience, so I'm posting my resume. Hope it helps you think about how you might be able to condense.
    Here's my one-page resume:

Megan Lastname
    E-mail address
    Phone #

Education
    Bachelor of Arts, special education.
    Somewhere University, December 2014.

Associate of Arts, general studies. Summa cum laude.
    Somewhere College, December 2012.
    {I wouldn't even put this in except that Somewhere College is local, and I like for hiring people to know that I grew up here.}

Relevant Experience
    Substitute teacher: A District, A City, Nevada. December 2014-present
    Teach in general, special, and ESL classrooms from K-8 in place of the regular teacher.
    Monitor behavior and record progress to maintain a routine schedule for students.

Student teacher: A School, A City, Nevada. October-December 2014
    Provided push-in support for special education students in the general education classroom.
    Taught directed studies classes focused on extension and remediation of skills.

Student teacher: A School, A City, Nevada. August-October 2014
    Assisted teacher with small group lessons and student support.
    Planned and delivered lessons for a cohesive two-week narrative writing unit.

Childcare provider: privately employed, A City, Nevada. Summer 2014
    Prepared and facilitated art-, science-, and literacy-building activities.
    Managed behavior and fostered problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
    {This was actually a nannying job, but I call it childcare provider because it sounds more professional and...well, I was providing childcare!}

Special education tutor: privately employed, A City, Nevada. May 2013 to June 2014
    Practiced proven educational strategies to reinforce elementary-level skills.
    Used intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to prompt desired behavior.

Skills and Certifications
    •Certified in K-8 elementary education and K-12 special education.
    •Certified in TESOL for Children through the A Place.
    •Fluent in American Sign Language; able to communicate effectively in Spanish.

And that's it!

If I were to edit your resume, I would probably
    -leave out field experiences
    -leave out the studying abroad info
    -rewrite the description of your nannying job -- give yourself more credit. :)
    -remove some of the describing parts that you have in connection with each job

I am excited for the day I check on this thread and see that you've got a job, so make sure to keep us posted!

(You mentioned that there Christian/Catholic schools in the area but that you practice Judaism. I know some schools will accept teachers of different religions, but I don't think you should take a job that would conflict with your beliefs. A quick google search turned up several Jewish schools near Milwaukee and Madison, though.)

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 29, 2015

I laughed at your laugh, because those words sound so much like the ones I have preached to my son over the years.

I decided a long time ago that some things are better off left to the professionals, but know that some like the satisfaction of "doing it themselves." Personally, the buzz words and phrasing changes constantly, and so I pay someone to do mine whenever there is a job, cert, or education change. It always ends up perfect, because they will hammer away at it until I feel it is just the way I want it. Money well spent, IMHO. When the son went into teaching, he used the university approved resume before I saw it, and there is no doubt it set his job search back an entire year. My gift to him for his birthday that winter was a new resume on me, and what a difference it made. He recently finished his MEd., so I paid to have it upgraded, and I am happy when I see how much he enjoys seeing his accomplishments spelled out in such a professional document that he is happy to share with the world.

If you are a DIY kind of person, go for it, however you should ask yourself how long you want to tinker with this, since you have already sent out a number of applications in a highly competitive job market.

Best of luck.

17. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

Thank you ALL so, so much for the wonderful advice. I decided to take tonight off and give myself a small break, but tomorrow I am going to revamp my resume. I feel re-energized and full of new hope...with much thanks to all of you. :)

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2015

A few suggestions on your resume...

- Delete the objective. It's not necessary. It's pretty clear you want a teaching job, and you should state what you want specifically in your cover letter, not your resume.

- Include your honors as part of your education section (since that is presumably where you earned them), not all the way at the bottom in a separate section.

- Delete the study abroad experience... Well, you could include the name of the school under your education section, if you really want to, but, since you didn't earn a degree there, it's not really necessary. It's interesting that you studied abroad, but it's not really relevant to a teaching job and it diverts attention from your teaching-related experiences.

- Make sure your related experience is in reverse chronological order, just like your teaching experience.

- Try to limit your bullet points to 3-5 under each experience. Start each bullet point with a descriptive verb.

- I don't think 2 page resumes are necessarily a problem, but, especially as a brand new teacher, I'd limit it to one page. Even with five years of teaching experience, my resume is only one page. I mean, it could be longer if I added more related experience and added bullet points to my student teaching, but I don't want to divert attention from the really important parts of my resume. Less is more.

- Something that was difficult for me until I had experience... Think about your bullet points. Are they things that are obvious or should be obvious? Like, obviously you "Used a variety of teaching strategies in order to differentiate instruction to meet students’ needs"... or, as a good teacher, you SHOULD have. Try being more specific and listing SPECIFIC strategies you used. Name specific programs or commonly known methods you used. Don't write bullet points that are to be expected by anyone who is qualified to be a teacher. Write bullet points that make you unique, different from the candidate who is interviewing after you. Be specific, very specific. Leave off the things that a principal or hiring team would assume or expect you to have experience in.

Good luck!

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 29, 2015

Revisit Bloom's and fix your verbs to be more dynamic and less mundane. There are so many better ways to show action besides "taught", "planned and taught", etc. You don't need your GPA on the resume, list your certifications, I would drop the major and minor - it doesn't really matter, since your certifications/licenses give the relevant information. Your app will have better areas to list these things, and it is where they will be looking for it. I would drop the comments about the study abroad, and the field experience does nothing but take up space - it is the kind of thing all education majors do, so nothing outstanding about it. Those were the things that struck me right off the bat - it is wordy, redundant in places, and makes you sound incredibly like every other recent graduate. What skills do you have that would make you valuable - think SMART board, proficient in MS Office, Google Apps, Google Drive, Cloud Storage, using technology in the classroom seamlessly, Moodle, any other education software, etc? That will catch their eye.

Good luck.

20. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

Thank you for your advice. Do you think I should have a "skills" section where I talk about the skills that make me valuable, or just incorporate them into my other sections?

21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2015

I know this question wasn't directed to me... but I think you could probably include your skills as bullet points underneath your experiences rather than in a separate section. For example, if you created SmartBoard presentations using SmartNotebook software at one of your student teaching placements, you could have a bullet point stating something like: created SmartNotebook lessons to engage students in actively learning about ecology (or whatever the content) OR used SmartNotebook software to create engaging lessons for students... something along those lines. This gives you a specific action to include in your bullet points - something that makes you different from another candidate, while also alluding to the fact that you are skilled in using SmartNotebook software.

22. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

Okay, so I think I am going to go ahead and make it one page. I am very wordy and at school they always talked about resumes like I needed to include as much as possible so this is different for me! I am going to move my honors up to my education section, and delete the other experiences and study abroad so all that will be on there will be my two student teaching experiences, my job at the preschool, and my most recent nannying job. Does this sound okay or should I include the reading intervention experience/middle school enrichment project too? I just don't think I could make it one page then, but is listing only student teaching for teaching experience not enough?

Appreciate all the advice so much!

23. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

Thanks! I think this is a good idea as well since it'll be easier to fit it onto one page if I don't add a skills section.

24. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2015

Honestly, I don't think it's as much about how many or which experiences you include. I think it's more about the picture you paint through your descriptive bullet points. Give the hiring team a good picture of what kind of teacher you would be. If you can do that with only your student teaching, then I think that is totally fine. If you did something really unique during one of the other experiences, then you'll probably want to include those too.

Think about all of those skills you were originally planning to include in a "skills" section... See where you can fit them in under your experiences. If you can cover them all in the student teaching and nannying experiences, then there really isn't any need to reiterate them by listing other experiences.

25. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2015

Here is something that might help:

This past winter/early spring, I started looking for a new job for next year. When I went to revise my resume, one of the first things I did was brainstorm a list of the skills and strengths I have that relate to teaching. I then prioritized them so that the ones that I really wanted to include or the ones that I was the strongest in were highlighted. Then I went back to my resume and tried to create bullet points under my different experiences to make sure those priority skills/strengths were included. Even if I did the same thing at two different jobs (balanced literacy, for example), I included it under only one experience so as to not take up too much space and leave room for other skills/strengths.

So, I guess my advice is to think about what makes you YOU. Create a list of the things you would really want a potential employer to know about you. Then go back and make sure you have bullet points that cover those things.

26. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 29, 2015

That makes sense, thanks. Tomorrow I am going to:
    -condense it to one page
    -have a fresh look at Bloom's Taxonomy
    -think about what skills and experiences make me stand out from the crowd and go above and beyond what is expected of a teacher

and see what I can come up with. I'll post my updated resume then and hopefully it will be much more effective.

Thanks everyone! :hugs:

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 30, 2015

During your student teaching, what kind of software did you use for curriculum, grading, attendance, staying in touch with parents, in the classroom (think Google Docs seamlessly incorporated), rubrics, submitting lesson plans, etc? Did you learn the Danielson method, or something else? What do you know about writing SGO's, essential questions, and enduring understanding goal to include in curriculum? New teachers often struggle to learn these things and become overwhelmed. If you have a broad base and experience to start with, it shows you were really learning during your student teaching, not just going through the motions. There are programs out there that I don't use, but I am highly proficient in seamlessly integrating student tech in the classroom, using it 1:1 to enhance learning and stimulate HOTS (higher order thinking skills) in the classroom. That same skill set nurtured direct student contact with the teacher on the Google Drive, enriching student learning through more immediate teacher feedback and response, which enhanced the use of PBL and inquiry within the classroom. The same skill set monitored student growth, built the infrastructure for differentiation for all students, with the goal of truly leaving no child behind The same skill set facilitated communication with parents, bridging the school/home gap and building a better school community. See the pattern?

Even what I have written above is too wordy for a resume, but you can start to see where the bullet points would be. Admittedly, it is too early on a Saturday morning, so I could probably stand to peruse Blooms too - my mind isn't fully engaged yet! The point is that everyone student teaches, etc., and you obviously passed, since you have your license. So the real question is what did YOU learn and embrace that will benefit your potential students and make you a better choice than any other new teacher? Skill sets that you are truly proficient in is one way to create interest, especially when you explain how that proficiency is advantageous to the student. Remember, it is always about how your qualifications makes you a good fit for the school, a leader and innovator in the classroom, engaged in your continued learning so that you can be the better teacher for all students, a positive for the school community. My personal belief is that a teacher needs to lead by example - if we want life-long learners, we must be the same. If you have the chance, look for relatively inexpensive ways to show you are driving your own continued education forward - think PBS Teacherline and the such where the courses are online, very inexpensive, and can be taken for grad credit for not much money. It shows you want to grow as a teacher, which indicates you want students who grow in proficiency and skill sets as well.

As a chuckle, I worked with teachers who could use Word, but had no clue about how to use Excel or Publisher, other teachers who were terrified when students embraced Google Drive, and the teachers didn't know how to respond, edit, check submission times, or view the participants. Proficiency in Office made my switch to Google apps really painless, and I still work with people who struggle with advanced computer literacy skills, and I can tell you that admin starts to notice the deficits early on. It isn't whether you know their exact programs and software, but proficient in several shows great potential for learning new programs without undue problems.

28. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

May 30, 2015

I teach at a Catholic school. I can't teach religion (you have to be a practicing Catholic) so I switch with another teacher -- she teaches my religion, and I teach her social studies.

29. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 30, 2015

Hmm, I never knew this was a possibility. I will give the postings for private schools another look. Thanks!

30. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 30, 2015

PM sent! Thanks. :)

31. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 30, 2015

I also relocated to get a teaching job, as my state had very few openings and way too many applicants.

I know nothing about Wisconsin, but in my home state, there are definitely areas that are more and less desirable to live in. I probably could have obtained a job in a rural area or small town in a less populated area of the state, in an area that was less likely to be a "target" destination for people looking for jobs. That might be an option for you? It would be cheaper to move, anyway.

32. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 30, 2015

I am going to consider this. I really prefer more urban/suburban areas, and the upper half of Wisconsin is very rural and bare. I'm going to seek out more jobs there. Thanks. :)

33. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

May 30, 2015

Okay, so, I've spent a good few hours today trying to condense my resume. This is just a work in progress, but does this look better? I am a little worried because I'm still stuck in the "must-be-2-pages-must-include-everything-possible" mindset.

EDUCATION

College, City, WI
    Bachelor of Arts Degree May 2014
    Major: Education Minor: Broadfield Social Studies
    Major Concentration: Middle Childhood - Early Adolescence
    License: Regular Education (1777), Social Studies (1734)
    Honors: Dean’s List every semester, graduated Cum Laude

TEACHING EXPERIENCE

Student Teacher, 7th grade Social Studies April - June 2014

Middle School, City, WI

-Developed and taught units that engaged students through the use of games, projects, and technology
    -Built rubrics designed to assess student growth and learning
    -Collaborated with the special education teacher to assure adherence to student IEPs
    -Contributed to the cohesiveness of the 7th grade team through participation in daily meetings
    -Maintained a well-managed classroom by using positive reinforcement and a proactive approach
    -Differentiated classroom instruction to meet the needs of all students by using RTI techniques

Student Teacher, 2nd grade January - April 2014

Elementary School, City, WI

-Invented “Kind Kitty” game to build a strong classroom community and promote intrinsic motivation
    -Established positive relationships with parents by communicating with them frequently
    -Implemented cooperative learning strategies in order to encourage active learning and peer interaction
    -Taught using a balanced literacy approach including read-alouds, guided reading, and guided writing
    -Utilized SMART Notebook software and the SMART Board to create and teach math lessons
    -Communicated with parents frequently to establish positive relationships
    -Employed informal and formal assessment strategies to keep track of students’ progress and needs

CAREER-RELATED EXPERIENCE

Childcare Provider September 2014 - May 2015

Family, City, WI

-Used books, technology, games, and crafts to help teach English to two young ELL learners
    -Assisted with the development of age-appropriate life skills

Teacher’s Assistant January 2011 - December 2013

Children’s Center, City, WI

-Created a safe learning environment by effectively managing nap time, lunch time, and free play time
    -Assisted the preschool teacher with activities, games, and read-alouds

34. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 30, 2015

I think you're getting there. :)

I do still have a few suggestions for you though.

I think it might be wise to include your license info above your education, in a separate section. That's often the first and most important thing a hiring team will want to see, as they will want to know if you meet the state requirements for the position (holding the proper licenses) before they even look any further at your resume. Might as well make it easy for them, and put it at the top.

Next, some of your bullet points are looking really good! I particularly like:
    -Invented “Kind Kitty” game to build a strong classroom community and promote intrinsic motivation
    -Utilized SMART Notebook software and the SMART Board to create and teach math lessons

Many of the others, though, still seem to be too general or things that all qualified teachers should be doing, such as:
    -Collaborated with the special education teacher to assure adherence to student IEPs
    -Contributed to the cohesiveness of the 7th grade team through participation in daily meetings
    -Maintained a well-managed classroom by using positive reinforcement and a proactive approach

I know it can be tough when you don't have a lot of experience to pull from, so don't fret if you just can't figure out more specific things to say. Do keep in mind though, that, as you gain more experience, you should be fine-tuning these bullet points to be personalized to your experiences. I'll see if I can give you some ideas by asking some questions...

-Developed and taught units that engaged students through the use of games, projects, and technology What type of technology and projects? Any specific project you are proud of and can mention?
    -Built rubrics designed to assess student growth and learning How did you use these rubrics? Did students monitor their own growth and learning through the rubrics?
    -Collaborated with the special education teacher to assure adherence to student IEPs What things did you implement in the classroom as a result of the collaboration? Behavior plans? Modified assignments?
    -Contributed to the cohesiveness of the 7th grade team through participation in daily meetings What structure was used for the meetings and/or what was the purpose of the meetings?
    -Maintained a well-managed classroom by using positive reinforcement and a proactive approach Did you use a specific behavior program or research-based method, such as PBIS, Responsive Classroom, or even a tool like Class Dojo?
    -Differentiated classroom instruction to meet the needs of all students by using RTI techniques What specific RTI techniques did you use? How did you collect data?

I can go through and ask you questions about your other bullet points, too, if that would help, but I think you probably get the gist, plus I don't want to overwhelm you right now. Again, going from general to specific can be difficult, especially when new to teaching, but do the best you can to be as specific as possible. Obviously you can't list every last thing you did in your experiences, but you should aim to include the ones that you are the strongest in (the ones you can talk about with the most detail, should you be asked about it at an interview) and the ones that align closely to the philosophy to the school(s) you are applying to.

35. MissCNJ

MissCNJ Rookie

Jun 2, 2015

I feel like this post could have been written by me! I'm essentially in the exact same boat, so I sympathize with you jennaleigh.

All these tips and suggestions are extremely helpful and I, too, will be revamping my resume. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your search! :)

36. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 2, 2015

This advice was so helpful, thank you.

37. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 2, 2015

I will, and good luck to you too! I have already gotten one call since I revamped my resume. It's not at all an ideal job, but I am glad I got the call - don't think I can afford to be too picky right now.

38. AlphB

AlphB Rookie

Jun 8, 2015

I know this is old, but I just got hired a few weeks ago and I wanted to share some input.

1st, I am relocating within state (but my state is huge so there is that) and it is expensive but the job market where I am is not moving right now. There are jobs posted.. but the same jobs have been posted for a month and I was tired of waiting and I got into a great school district because I was willing to move.
    2nd, do not underestimate the power of a great cover letter. Sure, you're supposed to sell yourself, but you need to really be interested in the district you're applying to. I researched the districts and looked at any mission statements, goals, or plans they have and talked about how those things relate to my teaching philosophy. Take initiative to learn about the place you want to work. Once I figured that out, I started getting calls to interview.

39. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 8, 2015

Thank you AlphB for the advice! I just got a call today for an interview in my state, but 2 1/2 hours away from where I live, so I'd have to relocate. I'm really hoping this is it!

40. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2015

Congratulations! Hope it goes well for you.

If your resume is getting you interviews, it's doing its job.

41. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 12, 2015

Thank you! I didn't get the job, but the principal was so nice. He said I am the real deal, I really know my stuff, and not to get discouraged because I will land something. He even said to call him if I needed anything...the nicest rejection ever haha.

Anyway, I have another interview for a different district on Wednesday! Since I made this post and took everyone's advice, I have gotten calls for two interviews and a phone interview - I only had one interview all of last year. And I was also hired as a summer school teacher! So I am starting to feel much better and like I can actually get my own classroom this year! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.