So disappointed

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by innerpeace, Oct 29, 2009.

1. innerpeace

innerpeace New Member

Oct 29, 2009

Hi all....I just need to vent for a minute...Today we had a county wide PLC meeting for all World History teachers. It was a time for all of us to share the things that are working well for us and to gain ideas we could each use in our classrooms. I was so excited because this is the first time our county has organized such a meeting. I made a packet with resources that I had found to be helpful. The meeting turned into a gripefest. The other teachers only wanted to complain about what the students could not do, their apathy, lack of responsibility etc. I know how the students are! I wanted to try to brainstorm ways in which to turn some of the negatives into positives! When I tried to share the things that were successful in my classroom they became silent and looked at me as if I had grown two heads! I am soooooo frustrated!! Thanks for letting me unload! GRRRRRRRR

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 29, 2009

innerpeace, I hate it for you. I'm afraid it's a Nation-wide frustration. I found teachers who are "like-minded" only in grad school. There's a few on my campus but they're on another hall.

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Oct 29, 2009

innerpeace, I would have been irritated too. That kind of meeting that has such a great potential, and a bunch of gripers turn it into something completely a waste of time. Our district has been using group norms in all our meetings, which has helped keep people more focused on that task at hand instead of complaining. I am really sorry that happened.

5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 29, 2009

I'm with you and feel your pain. There is nothing more annoying and maddening than a workshop that YOU took time out of your day for, prepared sub plans for, and then you get stuck with a horrible experience. That's a shame this had to happen. Every time I have a horrible workshop I let the presenter or whoever know it on my evaluation form.

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 29, 2009

By the way, I just remembered I was at a workshop for Teaching Islam last Saturday. Lots of great ideas were shared pertaining to World History. I have a CD full of goodies (and I mean quality stuff- not just a bunch of flowery crap). Let me know if you want a copy.

7. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Oct 30, 2009

Sorry I dont have anything valuable to add - but that made me lol :D