So...did anyone's students make them laugh this week?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Jan 7, 2009.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010

These are too funny!

Two of my boys asked me earlier this year how much it would cost for them to buy Alaska. I told them they didn't have enough money, and I didn't think a person could buy a state, anyway. They responded, "Well, didn't some guy buy it from Canada a long time ago?" It took some convincing that the U.S. bought it from Russia (and that guy bought it for the gov't., not on his own). All day long, though, they were plotting which state they were going to buy.

I heard them saying that they were each going to be the president of their state, but they were going to joing them to make one country and take over the world. Later, I asked them who was going to be in charge of making decisions. One said, "John's in charge. Well, God is really in charge, but John's right after Him." :) At least they were being pious in their world domination plans!

2. CDFYS

CDFYS Guest

Feb 3, 2010

Alaska the island

Along the Alaska lines - We all know that many think Alaska is right by Hawaii because of how they are often shown on maps, but this year I got a new preconception. When we were learning about continents this year, one said, "But what about Alaska?" I responded that Alaska was a state and not a continent. (or a country) "Yeah," one replied, "AND besides, it's just an island anyway!"

We have GOT to do something about those maps! LOL

3. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Feb 3, 2010

I preach "Don't Memorize....THINK!!!" I'm even in the process of getting it painted on the wall above my white board.

Today I had a few in my class do what I love most. One student said, "I'm having a hard time memorizing this."

Before I could respond, 3 turned around a chimed in unison...."Don't Memorize....Think"

I was so proud.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2010

In my class, we laugh together every day....I wish you smiles, laughs and good times with the classes of children you teach.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2010

My grade 8 boys make me laugh every single day. I often can't remember what about, but we do have fun and enjoy being with each other.

6. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Feb 3, 2010

I subbed for 5th grade today. The kids were pretty funny!

7. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

I do an after school tutoring program and I was trying to help a 1st grader sound out the word shed. "sh ed...sh ed...sh ed, get it?" The little girl goes "yeah, like be quiet Ed!" I cracked up.

From our school nurse:
    She walked into her office one day to see two Kinders sitting there crying. She asked what happened and one boy goes "I pooped my pants" and the other boy goes "and I smelled it and I throwed up"

CUTE!

8. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Feb 3, 2010

oh my goodness, i am shocked to see this thread it still going, but delighted that people's students have been making them laugh so much!

without the laughter, teaching can weigh heavily on the soul and become overwhelming.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2010

I had one of my kids in the back of the room doing his fluency today. He seemed to be pausing a lot and read a lot slower than usual. I asked him why he was having trouble focusing. He said, "Well.....I have a really big crush on Ashley. I've had it for a long time." Lol. It wasn't the answer I expected. He had the cutest smile when he said it though!

10. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

I was observing a 2nd grade class today and they just made me giggle so many times. At one point, they were working on a list of topics that they could write from the heart. At one point, a little boy came up to my mentor teacher and asked, "How do you spell DS? Like Nintendo?" It pretty much made my day.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2010

It's really hard to make me laugh, especially out loud, and when I did, my husband had to stare at me... but this made me laugh!!! :lol::D

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2010

We laugh all the time.

No one story stands out, but I've had a nice week this far!

I have some really nice kids this year!! (And a few who will probably grow into really nice kids if I don't kill them first, but that's a different thread. )

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010

Yesterday I had a 9th grade kid tell another kid he had gelatinous ears. It made me laugh.

I also overheard a 9th grade girl say to another girl "Did you know that a sneeze is actually a little orgasm? That's why I love to sneeze so much." I don't know if that was funny or just bizarro.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2010

silver~I would vote bizarro! I've never had anything happen to me when I've sneezed.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010

Today I had a senior come in during my 9th grade class and she anounced loudly "Your classroom smells like armpits. It's not you Ms. G, it's one of your students."

I was REALLY mad because we all know who it is - there is one girl in the class who smells sometimes and I know that some catty girls in the class snicker about her behind her back some times. Well of course when the senior made that comment all the girls started snickering and the one girl looked really embarrassed. It was really awkward.

Well god bless the kid in the back who piped up "Well, there are 28 armpits in this class, so obviously it is going to smell like armpits." That was our first laugh and it broke the awkwardness.

Then they were all trying to count to see if there really were 28 armpits in the class, and one kid said 'There are only 26!" and the original kid said, "Well, I was counting Ms. G's armpits, too!" To which I said, "YEAH! Teachers have armpits too, you know!" Apparently that was the funniest thing a teacher ever said because the kids all said it was their quote of the day. lol.

16. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Feb 4, 2010

I teach PreK, so they crack me up on a daily basis. :) But here's a few from this week.

Yesterday, during quiet time, the kids were sitting reading books quietly, and all of a sudden out of absolutely nowhere, a little girl quacked like a duck. Just a loud QUACK! She looked at me, with this surprised look on her face and then we both just started cracking up. A little while later she was reading her book aloud - in an operatic voice.

We just started our Celebration of Nations unit - so this week is kind of an intro to different cultures, and we'll be exploring different countries throughout the next 5 weeks. So, today we were discussing what places want to learn about. One little boy told me he wants to learn about "Igaly" and another little girl told me she wants to learn about "The Junited Steaks" :)

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010

When I had first graders today for music, they were unusually concerned about me. One asked, "Are you having a good day?" Later, one boy said, "Miss amakaye, are your pants too long?" (A little confused about that one, although I did have heels and slacks on). When they were leaving, another said, "I hope you have a good day!" And finally, one said, "Your outfit....it's real pretty." All of this over the course of 20 minutes--and they were all said in such a polite, sweet way!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2010

OK, not one of my students, but a friend of my son's.

He's anxiously awaiting his 10th birthday, because that's when he's allowed to say the "C" word.

I wracked my brain for good minute. The only "C word" I could think of that wouldn't be appropriate for a 9 year old would certainly also be off limits for a 10 year old. So I told him it would be OK to say it to me (we were the only 2 in the car as I was driving him home.)

His response?

"C...R...A....P."

Apparently in his family, being able to say the dreaded "crap" is a rite of passage reserved for 10 year olds.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010

lol. My sister's 10th birthday was this week and I talked to her on the phone before they went out to the Mexican place for her birthday dinner. She was telling me about the dish she usually orders from the children's menu, and how she gets a strawberry daiquiri without the alcohol in it. Then she said, hey, in 2 years I won't have to order off the children's menu anymore. I was thinking in 11 years, she can have the alcohol in the daiquiri. lol

My mom called tonight and said that the children's menu at this place only goes up to 10 and sister was a little upset that she had to order off of the grown up menu now. lol

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 4, 2010

I absolutely love these ones Learner4Life!!:lol::lol:

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Feb 4, 2010

Today, at the end of six period, there were about 5 minutes left over and I needed to pass out progress reports, so I told the students "Hey, you have 5 minutes to chill, so I can pass papers. I trust you not to hurt anything or anybody." A kid looks me dead in the eye and goes "Is that a challenge?"

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2010

Here's one of mine for today:
    At the end of the day, after dismissal, a group of 4 of my grade 8 boys were walking down the hall toward me. 3 of the 4 said, "Hi, MrsC, bye MrsC. Have a good weekend". The forth put up his fists, shadow boxing in the air and said with a smile, "Okay MrsC. Let's see what you've got. Let's go." I told him that I better not, because I didn't want to embarass him. As he said, "Like that's going to happen", I corrected myself, "Actually, Michael, I don't want to end up lying flat on the ground having to do all the paperwork needed to suspend you." He said, "Okay then, that makes more sense."

23. KateL

KateL Habitué

Feb 5, 2010

Middle school science class:

Yesterday, one of my students finished his assignment early and was flipping through the textbook. He found the picture in the human reproduction chapter that shows how an egg is released from the ovary and travels down the fallopian tube over the course of a few days. He looks up at me and says, "It's like a gumball machine, isn't it?" :lol:

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2010

Ok, just this week it was pouring rain! so for two days my kids had to have lunch and recess in my room (ouch). I had a couple of kids who had to eat with me during lunch, and stay in the room for 5 mins during recess because they got to orange. I explained to them that because everyone had to stay in these couple of students still "owed me lunch" when the rain was gone. One of the girls walked over to me and tried to give me her lunch. I asked what she was doing, and her response was that I said that they "owe me their lunch". I had to explain I meant the time only...Silly, cute kids!

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2010

We were trying to map all the NFL teams this afternoon at our Super Bowl party. The kids were using atlases to find the cities. One boy asked, "Is Atlanta the same as Atlantic City?" The 4th grade teacher and I looked at each other and shared a good chuckle...

26. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 5, 2010

We found out today that we would get another new student on Monday. This will be my 4th new student of the year, in a school where we usually have only 1 or 2 in the entire school for the year. One of my students asked me, "Mrs. G, do you get all the new students because you're the best teacher?" Of course I l told him that that was exactly the reason...made me smile!

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 5, 2010

I have been sick all week (head cold) so giving the spelling test was a hoot today. I would attempt to say the word and the kids would all work it out until someone knew the word. It was hilarous.

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2010

One of the autistic boys whose name is A....was adamant about explaining to the student teacher why he hadn't finished an assignment. (He had been pulled out for special services.) I stood there in the back of the room watching the interplay, smiling because the student teacher was stopping to listen in the middle of instructions because it was important to A.... to be heard.

When A.... was done explaining, he sat back done. I said, "Well done, A...., you did a good job standing up for yourself." He looked at me and stood back up.

And stood there....and stood there...

I was waiting for him to say something, when the student teacher turned his face away from the child and put the papers up to his face to hide his expression from the kid. I could see that he was highly amused.

Which is when I realized that A... was "standing up for himself."

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2010

I had a student on the spectrum who was under a lot of stress. He had tutoring after school with another teacher. She gave him some work to do and noticed that he stopped after one or two questions. He assured her that this was our new 'strategy'; that he could do just as many as he wanted to do.

Uh, well, that wasn't exactly how that strategy was supposed to go. The tutor was so surprised that she let him get away with it, then came to ask about it.

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 5, 2010

Today we were brainstorming different kinds of physical activity. I mentioned yoga and one girl said, "Oh, like in Star Wars?" No Honey... that was YODA!

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2010

That's too cute!

A student was reading me his story and a new character, Houston, suddenly popped up in the middle. I said, "Wait, who is this?" And the boy said, "You know. Houston. Like, 'Houston we have a problem'".

32. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 5, 2010

Not student...but my bf's daughter said she was going to be the 'baby sinner' of my babies. She meant baby-sitter...haha

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 5, 2010

When my niece was young, I asked her what kind of cat they had. She replied, "German".

34. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 6, 2010

So we are a Make Your Day school, and students earn 10 points every hour or so for their behavior choices.... well this one student got up and left the classroom without telling me, so he had to choose zero points. When we were cleaning up and getting ready for points he said, "Can you just cut me some slack on my points??"

35. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Feb 6, 2010

I had a student come in with what looked like new shoes on. So of course, I said I really like his new shoes. He says they aren't new. They had been in the closet because they were too big. Then as he shrugs his shoulders to walk off, he says they must have gotten smaller. Try to keep a straight face after that one!

36. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2010

too funny, keep them comin'

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 6, 2010

Yeah, I am really enjoying these.

38. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 6, 2010

After asking a student about why she didn't bring a rock into class (for an Earth History assignment), she told me that she couldn't find one. I told her that there were rocks everywhere outside. She said that she doesn't go outside. I asked her - how do you get from the car or bus to your house? She saids - she walks. I told her- that's outside. We both started smiling because we both knew that she was just making up an excuse and I wasn't going to let her off the hook.