So bummed

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

I just got a letter in the mail saying that my neighborhood district where I got the most work and the most requests to sub last year is putting pink-slipped teachers on priority for subbing this year. No requests.

I work for two other districts where this policy was in place last year and I got about 4 jobs in each one all year.

So bummed...I was gearing up to go around and drop cards off at all the schools. Now I guess it doesn't matter.

I may have to give this up and find a "real" job.

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 12, 2010

That is pitiful... I'm sorry!
    As a sub (so-called "valued" employees), all you have is your job. You have poor pay, no benefits, no class to call your own... in other words, we are sacrificing a lot just being a Substitute Teacher.

As an example: In my district, we had summer school teaching positions made available this past fall (as it turned out, funding dried up and the program was scrapped). But--as a credentialed teacher, I thought "hey, great way for me to gain experience, make some money" etc. When I inquired, they told me that this was only for current teachers! They give no consideration to the fact that they have tons of people like me--experienced, qualified, raring for an opportunity, who this would be so WELCOME... AND show that they do consider us and our situation.

But no. Time and again, they just ignore our plight. In my case, I went to complain and did express my "disappointment". (I didn't go stark raving mad mind you, but I did make sure my point was heard.) I think you should do so as well; I think it's the only way that they may hear your/our voice. Because that's terrible IMO.

4. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

That is terrible.

I would feel so unappreciated. :(

What exactly is a "pink-slipped" teacher? I've heard of this before...are they retired teachers who have been in the district for years or subs who never say no to an assignment, or what?

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

"Pink slipped" is a term that means laid-off. They're teachers who for budgetary reasons were let go. The union-district contract gives them the courtesy of staying on the sub lists versus collecting unemployment.

6. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Oh, wow. That is pitiful. I'm really am sorry you're in this situation. :(

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2010

Oh drats! So are there any other districts you're willing drive farther to that you can sub at? Otherwise, what other type of jobs do you have in mind to apply for? Clerical, retail, etc.?

Good luck!

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

I am so sorry this happened to you jen12. I hope you have other options that will work well for you. May all go well. Take care.

9. waffles

waffles Companion

Aug 12, 2010

Of course, there's always the teachers that won't do it or the ones that won't be able to get out of regular teacher mode and into sub mode.

10. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Waffles has a great point!
    I am curious to know your new plan also.

11. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 13, 2010

My former district did the same thing. I'm a regular classroom teacher and started whining about this situation when I couldn't get my "regular" sub who I know and trust to do a more than excellent job.
    Another teacher I spoke with about it basically said it was "fair" that the laid-off teachers get first dibs. While I understand both perspectives, I honestly still wanted MY regular sub.
    Waffles is right bc I know that if I were thrown into the sub pool, I wouldn't take any jobs bc I've subbed before and it was a totally different experience for me as a regular classroom teacher and also bc the kids in the district eat substitute teachers alive for breakfast. :unsure: My regular sub handled it like nothing. Anyway, I'd say by mid-school year the "normal" subs started trickling in for jobs bc the laid-off teachers began to turn down the sub jobs. But I still wasn't able to make specific requests because they had to go through the pools.

12. TimberBlue

TimberBlue Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

You would think that the pink-slipped teachers would make more with unemployment checks, but if they sub every single day, then probably not. I'm going to have to rely on subbing and tutoring for work, but the only chance I see of making this work is approaching several districts. Last year some districts had hiring freezes. I wonder if those freezes for subs has lifted?

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

I was going to say the same thing.....in NY I believe unemployment is $405/week....why would a teacher want to wait for a 5am phone call and work their butt off for the same or a little extra money.

14. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 16, 2010

I think teachers will accept any job they can find so they can still be the teacher. Albeit not a regular one though. They still want to work and be active in the system. They hope through subbing they can be reinstated into their position as a regular teacher.

It's all about exposure; just like what us subs are doing too right?

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

In my district the excessed teachers NEED to be hired back before they can hire anyone else when there are openings. So exposure doesnt matter here and teachers who pay child care it doesnt make sense, its more cost effective to get the unemployment and stay home with their kids.

16. waffles

waffles Companion

Aug 17, 2010

I also know some former teachers though who took losing their job as a sign that they should be doing something else. Or at least that they didn't want to deal with things as they are now because of the economy.

Really all I meant was that not all of the teachers in the sub pool won't sub.