So all those cool labs I've been doing...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 15, 2016

I'm pretty proud that we do a LOT of hands-on labs in my class. Like at least twice a week with chemicals and interesting materials or building cool things. They're pretty intensive and sometimes expensive.

Today however, I was cheap, and slightly lazy, and the main activity was modeling polymers with paper clips... The kids went wild.

All they were doing was connecting paper clips into different types of chains, and it was like they'd never seen office supplies before. Some kids said it was the best 'lab' they've done.

So I've determined that kids are basically cats. You can buy an expensive bed for a cat, but it's going to enjoy the box it came in more than the bed.

mkbren88, carolinafan, Kat53 and 4 others like this.
  3. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 15, 2016

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Isn't is so true! Just like kids and boxes. Forget the toy, the box is more fun.

PallasAthena and Peregrin5 like this.
  4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2016

I do lots of activities with my science class too (because it's science!!!) and I'm super stingy with supplies since, like you, I have to buy them all! For example, if I know I'm going to do seven groups per class and each group needs X amount of supplies I only put out that amount of supplies. If something breaks, bends, gets messed up, etc then oh well that group has to figure it out.

Kids know me and my stingy ways now. A few months back we were doing something involving rubber bands. At the end of the day I noticed three different rubber bands that were broken but tied back together. My kids knew better than to ask me for another rubber band and instead solved the problem themselves. *proud teacher moment*

5. amyjowin

amyjowin Rookie

Jan 19, 2016

Give them some Alka Selter and they are happy for days. My question is do you grade lab participation? Thanks

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 19, 2016

Kind of. I just make it part of their lab write-up grade. My labs are done on worksheets I've written up. If they at least participate in the lab, I give them 50%, so most kids even if they don't write anything will still get a 50% on their lab (which is still an F).

7. amyjowin

amyjowin Rookie

Jan 19, 2016

Thank you. I have just been grading the participation and of course a helicopter parent refuses to believe their child just watches.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 19, 2016

Participation is super tricky with helicopter parents. To most parents, its definitely a "this is the teachers 'opinion' about my child" kind of thing.

Kind of why I now just make it part of the write-up. If a kid just does nothing, it's much easier to show the parent the blank paper to prove your point. Everything has to have evidence these days. Your 'professional opinion' no longer counts for anything.

9. Puppet Debris

Puppet Debris Rookie

Jan 28, 2016

This is what politicians knew and used to get their way. And since everything is so political, it can be shown that documenting everything doesn't really work.
    But, yeah, any hands-on manipulatives are the way to go if they clearly provide the understanding or give practice on concepts that verbiage and writing just can't seem to explain.

10. Mrs. Vakharia

Mrs. Vakharia New Member

Feb 27, 2016

Any suggestions on what kind of thermometers I should order for my high school chem class? Not too expensive though.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 27, 2016

If you just want a basic thermometer, get the glass ones. You will have to train them how to use them carefully to not break them, and how to dispose of broken ones.

https://www.flinnsci.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=14276

There are also instant read thermometers and ones that you can measure the temperature of an object from a distance. Both are more expensive though.