So aggravated!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 21, 2006

I was told by my new school that the teachers would be able to get into their classrooms as soon as the summer camp there ended and we'd be able to work in our rooms Aug. 21st-30th (school starts the 31st). I showed up this morning at around 10:30 and NOTHING was ready for school. The summer camp people didn't clean up any of the their stuff. There were still decorations, art supplies, games, etc...all over the place. It was a mess. The vice principal was NOT happy that they hadn't cleaned anything so she started to help me get some of the junk out of my room so that I could get an idea of how much room I'm going to have and what-not. We made some real progress in there so I was excited, but then she said that I can't set anything up yet because they're going to be painting and cleaning the carpets this week!! What happened to having this whole week to work in my classroom?? I was really excited to be getting in there today and now I'm just bummed because I'm really not going to have a whole lot of time to get everything ready before next Thursday.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2006

But you showed your VP that you're ready and willing to work and to work hard... that's got to count for something!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Beth- this is not so unusual.

I think you will be able to manage to get your bulletin boards up, and the basics in enough time. It is manageable. I do feel bad for you, but it could be alot worse....believe me.

Your principal is obviously aware of the situation, and knows that you can only do so much.

If the classroom is tidy and organized, then that is what matters most. Decorating is an ongoing process.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Beth do you have an open house or registration night before the 31st? try to get a lot done at home if you can........everything premade and ready to hang up. Name tags written out and attendance charts made up, etc. I find that many of the things I put up in the classroom can be done at home. Don't worry too much, it will all work out ok! :)

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2006

I know you were excited to set up today...but hey, you get one more day of summer left!! Try to relax at home, think of things that you would like to do with your room so you have a "blue print" in your head!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 21, 2006

Oh, I know that it could definitely be worse...I could be in the situation I was in this time last year with no job at all!

I was just really looking forward to getting things done today. I have two inservice days on Thurs and Fri. and we're supposedly going to have time to work in our rooms on those days, but I'm going camping this weekend (actually Thurs-Mon) so I was hoping to have the bulk of it done before then so I wouldn't have to stay late into the afternoon on Thurs and Fri.

On the bright side, I was able to get the school schedule from the principal today so I'm finally able to plan my daily schedule and set up my plan book. I'm also going to do what Kinder suggested and try to get as much done at home as I can so I'm ready to go once I'm really able to get into the room.
    Also, I was able to see the bookshelves and things that I've got in the room so I know now that I don't have to worry about having to buy things.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

UGH!!!!!!!!!! Beth,I went into my room today..............found it all ripped apart, I spent 15 minutes in there, and then turned around and left. I have to be ready by the 30th for an open house!!!!!!! We can commiserate together. I'm planning on bringing in the troops..............my kids and hubby! Bring your BF and put him to work!!!!!!!!!!

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2006

I'm sorry you couldn't get in; it can be fun to go in and do what you have been looking forward to!! Good luck.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2006

I'm going to try to go in tomorrow to see what's going on. I know that my room is done, but the summer daycare program that was in the school finished on Friday, so I know that there are still a couple of rooms and a hall that need doing. I'll show up with coffee in hand for the caretakers...hopefully they'll let me in!

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 23, 2006

I went by the school again this morning around 10:30 or so. They're still in the process of painting and I couldn't get into my room. The principal was telling me how chaotic it's been trying to get things done since the summer camp ended Friday and how things should be done within the next couple of days and then she said, "Tomorrow's already Thursday?!" and the vice principal said, "Yeah, this isn't good." because our inservice days are tomorrow and Friday and the whole staff will be there expecting to get in their rooms at 8:30 tomorrow morning!
    They then told me that they should be done painting in and around my room shortly (I'm at the beginning of the hallway) so if I try back in about 3 or 4 hours I should be able to get in there. Sooo....I guess that's what I'll do. I'll give them a call around 2:00 or so and hopefully will be able to get in my room for at least an hour or two. ::fingers crossed::

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2006

Hope you can get in today. I spent about 4 hours yesterday and 5 today working in my room. I have the desks set out, the library set up, my desk stuff in the drawers, and all of the boxes unpacked (I moved rooms). They are going to waxing the hall floors tomorrow and no one is there on Friday, so I won't be able to be back in until Monday. I did a bunch of photocopying today so that I can do some prep work and colouring of posters, etc. before then. I guess I shouldn't complain about not being able to spend more time there...in a few weeks I'll be complaining that I spend too much time at school!

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 23, 2006

I hope I can get in there today too! I called the school about a half hour ago and the person who answered the phone told me that the principals and vp all went out together and that they'd be back in about a half hour. I just said that I would call back. I think I may wait another 15 minutes or so and then try calling again.

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 23, 2006

Well, I just got a hold of them and apparently they're still painting the walls and they have the desks for my room outside being painted. Sooo, I won't be able to get in there until tomorrow. I really hope I can get a lot done tomorrow and Friday because I'd like to enjoy my camping trip this weekend without stressing about what I need to get done. I was really hoping to have 3 days in the classroom already at this point...

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2006

Just remember that it doesn't matter if everything doesn't get done. Get the furniture arranged, most of your boxes unpacked, out of sight or stacked neatly, organize materials that the students will use, and be sure that the kids have work to do for the first few days...the rest will all come together.
    Have a great camping trip!