So aggravated

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, Apr 28, 2014.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 28, 2014

Just a rant . . .

I run the theatre program at my school. I built it from the ground up 8 years ago. When I started, we did one show a year and had one class. We now have two classes, five shows a year, and I've worked very hard to get community connections to our local arts organizations for performances, competitions, etc. I do everything myself with help from my fantastic students--set design/construction, costume design/construction, lighting, etc. Over the years, I have sunk thousands of dollars into the program through lumber purchases, script purchases, microphones, etc. I use many of these things in my other theatrical endeavors, so although it benefits my kids here most directly, i do use them outside of this building.

A friend of mine in the building told me today that another teacher that was hired this year came to him asking him to speak to our principal about giving her the theatre position. He told her that he wouldn't, and that he didn't think it was a good idea, because the kids would riot against her, and even told her about a full program whose director is retiring this year. I'm sure she's spoken to our principal, as they are friends from a previous school.

I am not adverse to someone joining me in the program. In fact, at the beginning of the school year, I approached her about helping, and offered her an opportunity. She didn't really answer me yeah or nay, so I went about my business. In fact, I would love if someone would like to work with me, so I can divide and conquer so to speak. But, to go behind my back and ask others to talk to the principal on her behalf just burns me . . .

Am I wrong to be a little ticked off? I'm not sure if there is going to be an issue with this or not, because the reason I stay at my school is for the theatre program--I've worked too hard to give it up.

And she left another school where she was the only theatre teacher, not sure why she came here, however, knowing she wouldn't be teaching theatre--she was hired to teach English.

I have decided however that if they want to give her the beginning class, I will not fight it, I will just request to keep the after school program and the advanced class, and will ask for planning the same block so that I can still work with the students for set construction, and hopefully she will be game to work together on those aspects.

If they do take it away entirely, I will be taking everything that I paid for out of the back, and I will be looking for work in another district.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2014

I think you have a good plan. :)

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

I would feel very betrayed, but I'm glad that your P stood up for you. Do you feel there is any reason your admin would want to give it to someone else?

5. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 28, 2014

Not really, other than the fact that she is a friend from their former school. I haven't heard anything good however about her work there, and she was only there for a year, and then left to teach English in Japan.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2014

Could you talk to your P directly?

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 28, 2014

That same sortof thing happened to me, and it still bugs me a little, but I just put on a happy face and do what I know I need to do for the kids.