Snowstorm

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Oct 30, 2011.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

How are you all in the northeast doing in the aftermath of yesterday's snowstorm? We have been without power or heat since yesterday afternoon. I'm at my parents this afternoon...showers, lunch, laundry. May sleep over depending on if my power comes on or not. How's everyone else doing?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2011

Thinking of all of you out there....

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

Less than an inch, it never stuck anywhere but the grass and the car.

The kids want to know what all the fuss was about. Of course, they were SCREAMING "IT'S SNOWING!!!!!!!" this time yesterday.

Hang in there czacza-- do you have heat?

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 30, 2011

czacza, hope you have some comfort foods & drinks to help keep you warm.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 30, 2011

We have power but people as close as a quarter mile away have been without it since about noon yesterday. Tree limbs down lots of places and traffic lights out totally or in flashing mode. We only got about 3 inches of snow but we also had rain, freezing rain and sleet so it's just a mess.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 30, 2011

we have 8 inches. and thankfully power, but we are pretty much stuck home because all our roads are blocked all up with trees. Yesterday I was in East Hanover, it took me 2 hours to get home 5 miles. That was bad.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2011

Ours was out all afternoon and it was freezing, so by nightfall we decided to pack up and go to BF's moms. Besides the heat, he can't sleep without his CPAP anyway, so we need the electric. It probably came on about an hour after we left though. Oh well, back home getting warm now. We got at least 6 inches and it is sitting on the trees and pulling them down, which is why so many were without power. I am loving the snowmen with jackolantern heads though. lol

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

No heat. It's 53 degrees in my house. We go home every few hours and check to see if the powers on. Drove thru town...there's definitely pockets where trees are down on wires...other streets are perfectly fine. I'm at my parents three blocks from my house and all is fine. My sister lives on other end of county but she also has no heat or power...so there's ten of us here at my parents house....we're all showering, doing laundry, watching football. My son is writing a paper for grad school, my niece is doing vocab homework for middle school. We're baking some oatmeal cookies later. The power company says we'll have power by midnight Wednesday but we're praying for earlier than that.:dizzy:

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2011

Oh no! I'm glad you're doing ok cza, but I feel for those who aren't as lucky to have family close by!

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 30, 2011

Wednesday? Yikes! Sure hope it's earlier than that. Do you know if your school has power?

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

Haven't heard about school. My niece heard her school is cancelled. My cell is charged So if we're cancelled, I'll get the call.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 30, 2011

I just got my call saying no school tomorrow. Received a reverse 911 saying they opened up a shelter in town. Most people have been without power since yesterday afternoon. Fortunately I am one of the lucky ones and never lost it. We received over 15 inches of snow. Trees down everywhere. It's too early for a snow day!

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2011

We got about 6 inches and thankfully kept power all day yesterday. I put a turkey in my Nesco roaster and invited the inlaws and a friend of DH. I even baked a cake! I worked all weekend on 2 papers that are due for a class I'm taking. Now I need to grade some papers before tomorrow.
    Sadly, during the storm two of our tree friends gave their lives heroically. Their branches, loaded with heavy, wet snow just could not bear the weight. They split in such a way that we had to go out in the middle of the storm to get their dead remains off the street. 2 hours later we were back inside smelling the turkey.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2011

That's what was happening here too. Just too many leaves still on the trees to hold all the snow on. They said we were peaking this weekend in foliage. It was weird to see the bright colors with snow around them.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 30, 2011

My county is a mess with a ton of snow. Lots of downed trees and power lines. Luckily, my street seemed to be unaffected except for the power flickering a few times.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 30, 2011

Wow, I'm glad everybody is safe. It sounds like a real mess out that way. Hopefully, y'all will get power restored sooner than anticipated.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2011

It does sound like a mess and in OCTOBER! My friend said it is the first time in October that there has been a snowstorm in her area in her children's lifetime and her oldest is grown.

19. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 31, 2011

czacza, we're still without power near Rhinebeck except we have generators that we can run for short periods of time. I'm out now at a local diner staying warm and getting my first hot meal in two days. Power is supposed to be restored today but because we are off the beaten track, maybe not.

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2011

We had school today but I would estimate that a third to half of my students are without power, possibly until Friday. That's a long time!

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2011

Wow, I hope that they're able to quickly make their way to all the repairs. Stay safe and warm!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2011

Thank goodness for local businesses! The relationship I'm sure is mutual but no less appreciated.

23. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Oct 31, 2011

Some schools in our state are already closed through Wednesday at least. This is the 7th and 8th "snow"day between Hurricane Irene and this storm and it's not even November! So crazy! Halloween was canceled in many communities, which has never happened around here as far as I know!

During the hurricane we lost power for 8 days so DS and I stayed with my parents. Now my parents are the ones without power so they're coming down here tomorrow, at least to shower and be warm for awhile!

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2011

That's a lot of days and a lot of stuff going on! I'm sure the kids did not like having to miss the holiday festivities!

25. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Oct 31, 2011

Exactly what Alice said. I heard some areas got 13 inches that actually stuck! I wouldn't have minded if it'd happened on Tuesday so we could have an early dismissal. :D

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2011

We've had quite a few typhoons this season and none are ever during the week. They aren't even during the day when I can see them. I think the weather knows our school schedule. The thing about snow is it sticks around long enough to stick its tongue out at the school schedule and you can enjoy the beauty. (Yes, I know we don't want to miss too many school days but it is a bit fun to play hooky sometimes).

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2011

Snow that falls over a weekend or vacation is known as "Wasted Snow" around here.

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2011

That gave me a chuckle! It is indeed wasted!

I love snow. I just wish it automatically repelled the dirt from the roads. I don't love brown snow. Yellow snow is rare enough that I'm okay with that. At least it gives me a nice clear warning sign.

When we moved to our last duty station, my husband said we shouldn't live in a mountainous area because we're from the south and we wouldn't want to not get to work because it is too hard for us to drive in the stuff. Knowing that work stopped the second it was 1-2 inches, I wish we had lived in a higher area so we could enjoy more snow. I do remember when I first moved there I saw a snow flurry my first week (in October) and I was just ecstatic. Later I was disappointed because I only got 1-3 inches of snow in my area every year. Then I was blessed with the blizzards. I don't wish for them because there are very real consequences and people out there that can be harmed by them but when they came, I have to admit to doing a little dance of joy because I got to see REAL snow.

29. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 31, 2011

Just got my call from the super stating school is closed tomorrow. Heard from a colleague that a major transformer fell at out middle school disrupting phones, internet, power and roads are still impassable in some of the town. Word also is the transformer won't be repaired until Friday. That would mean 5 days off and all of our snow days used. District won't keep my school (elem) open due to problems that would occur down the line with busing, when would the middle school make up the day, etc. Thus they are thinking of half days for both schools using the elem. school as the home base. Anything to get back would make me happy as this point.

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2011

Wow! 5 days is a bit too much when it uses up your snow days from the start and the real season hasn't even started!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2011

Power came on this afternoon...have been without power and heat since Saturday afternoon....school has been in session, so that's been a great place to be warm for several days. Half my class is without power...:(

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 2, 2011

We were supposed to get hit today. Woke up in a winter weather advisory, all the kids were sure we were dismissing early. Ha-after school the sun was shining, and I didn't even wear my coat home. That's Nebraska for ya!

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2011

I'm glad you're back on czacza.

The thill of "roughing it" wears real thin when the weather's cold.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2011

KC... I think it's a midwestern thing!!! LOL!!!

35. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2011

I've been without power since Sunday morning; it's estimated that it will come back on at 11 pm tonight (Thursday evening!).

My family's been getting used to the cold, and the dark. I went out for a walk at 10 pm a couple of nights ago with just a thick shirt and wasn't particularly uncomfortable (it was about 40-45 degrees).

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2011

Thanks...it was getting old.

3Sons...be careful out walking...I'm in your area, as you know....there are many downed lines and tree branches on roads which are hard to see in the dark. Driving is trecherous and it seems that there's a lot of weird accidents occurring probably due to street lights out, visibility issues. Stay safe!

37. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2011

Thanks czacza, I will be, and I've pretty much been sticking to areas I know well. There have been a lot of downed cables.

Some people just said the power company wasn't aware of some places being without power. So it may be longer than anticipated.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

They're hoping that 99% of CT will have power by Sunday night-- that's another 325,000 customers.

39. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Nov 4, 2011

I still don't have power :( or a car... electric door garage (it's not attached to my house so I can't get in to disengage the door). I've been camping out on a friend's couch for five days now. I can't wait for things to return to normal.

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2011

StudentTeach, we have the same problem with our garage. I would be stuck.

CzaCza, I'm glad things are back on for you!

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 4, 2011

Snow's predicted above 4500 feet for Southern California. That's unbelievably bizarre for very early November, which is more usually bone-dry and in the eighties.