Snowed In

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 17, 2015

Today is only the second day I've been snowed in, and I'm already getting stir crazy. I've cooked and napped and organized. I transferred old VHS home movies to digital format. I walked around in the snow. I read books and made snow cream. Sent out snow day work to my students.

I've got a foot of snow at my house, and we are getting another 3 inches or so tonight. Temps are going to bottom out, too.

Our small town doesnt have resources to clear the roads. We typically get an inch of two at a time. We've got lots of mountains. The plow did come by my road today, so now I can't get out of my driveway because of the snow piled across it.

Getting ready to start a jigsaw puzzle.

I've not been snowed in for years. I don't remember what I used to do. :lol: Last year we missed more days, but I was recovering from surgery.

Any ideas for activities?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 18, 2015

Well, I wouldn't go for more surgery. Just kidding. I don't get snow here in Florida, but I love my days at home. I play lots of games, especially word games, on the computer. Try Serpentine (like Boggle) in the intermediate room. Awesome. I also always have a stack of great books and I can spend hours reading. You could always file bills or clean out a closet. I don't usually choose those ..... Do you bake? Make banana bread and share with a neighbor. And get some rest!

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2015

I was wondering if you were snowed in as well. This is our third day off as well. I used the first day to get over an awful cold that I had, and yesterday was some baking that I had to do for a lady from church and cleaning. Thankfully I'm in town and can get out and about if I need to. Today I'm relaxing a bit and came into town for Ash Wednesday service at noon so I don't have to go tonight.

I don't think there's any more snow in the forecast, but the wind has picked up and I have a feeling it's really going to start blowing and drifting on the county roads. Plus, tomorrow is supposed to be the coldest day in 20+ years. We'll see if we make it back at all this week!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 18, 2015

We got another couple of inches this morning, and we are under a winter storm warning again for sub-zero temps, high winds, and an additional 3-5 inches of snow. Ugh.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

I have this week off. I'm doing lots of organization and to do's done around the house. Getaway tomorrow with h to Poconos (where there will be more snow!) and a hockey game on Saturday.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

Can I pack up my snow and send it with you? I'll throw in some ice for free - what a deal! :lol:

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 18, 2015

pang units you want to revise? I'd like to work on making some generic sub plans when I have some time off. I'd like to make about 3-5 days worth of plans based around a different book for each day with activities that can be done at pretty much any time of year. Teachers pay teachers has some I like, but I'd still need to adjust it for my classroom and add emergency plans and class procedures. I also have some drawers I need to dump out. Have you cleaned the linen closet out? I seem to have a lot of top sheets with no matching fitted sheets that I need to sort out.

9. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 18, 2015

Ima, I think we are in the same boat. Along with snow watch tonight they are giving ice Saturday...ugh. For the last few days, I have cleaned house, baked, organized, ate too many chips, made snow cream, watched classic TV shows and dreamed of living in Florida. I wonder what I need to do to teach in Florida?

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2015

Wash curtains or blankets or small rugs
    clean a small closet or dresser
    call a retired relative or friend
    take a bath

We have yet to have a day this winter. Big snow has stayed away from WI.

11. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 18, 2015

I did my taxes yesterday.

czacza you should come visit me this weekend! I'm not too far from the Poconos. Hopefully we don't get snow down here

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 18, 2015

Do they have you all make up the missed days at the end of the year?

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

Depends on how many are built into the schedule. We have schools that are already amending the schedule, losing a day for Memorial Day, a day or two off of the spring break. One year students went on a few Saturdays for the requisite number of hours. Of course, not everyone showed up, but the school being open satisfied the requirement. We had two extra days added to our snow calendar this year, because last year found us making up. We have had numerous delayed openings trying to protect the schedule!

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2015

You probably don't want to hear this...:hugs:...we are going to have our coldest night in over a year tonight. It is going down to 28 degrees :eek:

I closed the windows in the house :whistle:for tonight

Sunday it is going to be 80.

Winter is almost over.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2015

I woke up to -2 air temp... LOL!!!
    I know fam down there was telling me going to be cold!!! They are glad we sent the space heater down there.

16. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 19, 2015

We have to make up the days at the end of the year.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 19, 2015

Usually we add them to the end of the year.

If we have too many, we take spring break, add time to the day, or even go on Saturday.

18. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Feb 19, 2015

I am glad young teacher guy asked because I was feeling jealous reading this thread. I teach in CA and have only gotten one day off due to weather in 5 years. I have stopped checking Facebook because I can't stand to see all the posts from my ny teacher friends enjoying hit cocoa by the fire or lounging around in pajamas.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

Don't feel too bad, daisycakes. I don't get any days off for weather--and it feels like -31F out there this morning!

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 20, 2015

In Ohio districts can go by days or hours.
    My district goes with the five days; if we are out more than that they are added at the end of the year. Today is day 5 for us. If we miss any more, we will go longer in May.
    It is 20 below with wind chill, and not safe for our many walkers, or kids standing at bus stops.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2015

Cold here... MANY over 300 closings!!!

22. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Feb 20, 2015

The bolded is what those (where I am) who are complaining about school being closed today ticks me off........THEY don't understand the big picture....there are also some kids who just don't have winter attire, coats etc etc....it was -10 windchill here this morning.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 20, 2015

I love the people saying "parents should just drive their kids to school if they're worried" or "maybe parents should go buy their kids coats if they don't have them" like it's just that easy...

24. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Feb 20, 2015

Exactly! and those same parents that they want to drive the kids to school more than likely have jobs they need to get to BEFORE the time their child needs to be at school or would render them late to work if they had to drop them off.

:dizzy:

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2015

I was surprised a couple very rural (I'm talking mainly dirt roads) school districts were open today. When it was 7am air temp was about -15 degrees & windchill below 20. I was shocked that they were open. I had always heard they worried if something happened to the bus kids would be in the elements.

My mom never drove us to school. My neighbor (who was a teacher at a different district) would drop us (on her way) at a friend's where we would walk from to get to school if she was running late. (Her kids would wait with us for bus.) But that was maybe once a month... But we would still walk a good block to get to school!!

I know a school I mentored at in college was a "walking" campus elementary I think it was close to 90% walked. The girl I mentored wore a spring jacket in the winter. Before I left as a mentor (it was in college) I gave her an old winter coat (looked new) & I bought her a hat & gloves!!! You would've thought I gave her gold!!!

FYI link to windchill & frostbite...
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/winter/windchill.shtml

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 20, 2015

My mom always took me to school. My school didn't have bussing, and it wasn't safe to walk because there weren't sidewalks for the first half mile. Starting in 7th grade, my school had busses, but by that time I was used to being dropped off.

People probably think I don't have a coat. We don't get bitterly cold weather often, and I'm rarely outside longer than necessary to get from my vehicle to a building.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2015

We got another 4-5" on Saturday--and this time it was the wet, heavy kind. Sunday it was above freezing, so everything turned slushy. Today is bitter cold again, so those county roads are now an even icier mess than they were last week.

We're closed again today.

Ima, are you back at school or still closed?

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 23, 2015

We delayed today. Not sure what they'll do tomorrow but supposed to be bitter cold again.

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2015

I just have to do this
    [​IMG]

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2015

Thanks, Dave!

My daughter's headed to Scottsdale for her winter break; I'm jealous of her being able to escape the deep freeze.

31. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2015

Woke up, got dressed, headed out the door and saw it was snowing. Checked online- 2 hour delay. One hour later, closed for the day. Would have loved to sleep in, but it is what it is.

This is now snow day number 6 for us, we have five to make up and only two teacher work days to take away. Guess we'll see what happens!

32. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 24, 2015

Day #12 here. -20 actual temp. I can't remember the last time it was that cold. Still would take this any day though over summer temps. I hate the heat and humidity. I'm worthless after 80 degrees.

33. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2015

Amen to that! Summers here are awful. Wouldn't want -20 either. I need to move back to Costa Rica where the low was 65 and the high 82 every single day. :cool::lol:

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 24, 2015

We are still closed. I had to have 4-wheel drive to get up my driveway yesterday. My road is mostly clear, but not clear enough for a vehicle to pass a bus. Bus turnaround isn't clear enough for bus to be able to turn.

We also have flooding and a critical water shortage.

Staff works tomorrow. No kids. Maybe Thursday.

35. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2015

Yikes! Hope you get back soon. We were back today on a delay. The city I live in was closed today, but is opening back up tomorrow.

36. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 24, 2015

WOW! I can't believe how many snow days people are having!! We haven't had one yet... and usually by now we've at at least 2 or 3. Maybe March will come in like a lion...

37. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2015

Another snow day today! It's fairly warm out- in the 40s and sunny, but it's supposed to drop down and snow again tonight. So we'll see if we get back to school at all this week.

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 25, 2015

They cancelled our staff day due to the water issue. We go tomorrow instead. They'll make a decision about Friday by noon tomorrow.

Many bus turnarounds are still snow-covered. Some parts of the county have been without water for 3-4 days. I'm not without water, but I've had to follow boil-water advisory and conservation requests. No shower since Sunday. No laundry done. No dishes washed. Emergency management is distributing water to people without it.

And we are expecting more snow tonight!

39. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2015

We haven't had a snow day, although we have started late twice because of ice. We have had more snow this winter than we have had in the 6 years I have lived here, just it has come on the weekends or during breaks that were all ready scheduled.

40. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2015

We were out for 3 days due to snow/ice. It is snowing again today, but it's not sticking so the roads aren't bad.

41. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Feb 26, 2015

7 inches here we were out again today and I am pretty sure tomorrow as well.....if so that would be 7 total days and 2 delays.