snow!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Oct 28, 2011.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2011

I can't believe they are forecasting snow for the northeast this weekend! I barely remember much snow in November - I don't think I have ever seen snow here in October. And significant snow - 5-8 inches.

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Oct 28, 2011

I remember when I was a kid growing up in the northeast (late 80s) that we had snow one year at Halloween. My parents have a picture of me and my siblings sitting on the sled in the backyard wearing our costumes. I bet there were 5-8 inches that time as well. It only happened once that I remember, though!

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2011

We got over a foot this week, and it's actually pretty late for us to be getting our first snow. I'm from the midwest and it would be extremely rare for snow in October, but I do remember it snowing one Halloween- I think I was in kindergarten. I was a hula girl and was really upset that I had to wear snow boots and a coat with my costume!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 28, 2011

We got a bit of snow last night. I am NOT ready for this!!!!!

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2011

My birthday is Nov. 2, and I remember getting snow on my birthday a couple of times, and a blizzard twice--in kindergarten (causing my mom to have to scramble to entertain a group of 5 year olds at our house since we couldn't go to Hardee's like we were supposed to) and once in college.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2011

It never snows where I am. It would be nice maybe every or every other Christmas.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2011

One of the guys I work with is getting married tomorrow.

Last time I checked (7 AM) they were saying 1-3 inches of snow were possible.

9. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Oct 28, 2011

I am excited for snow! But none is in our forecast yet.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2011

I know, I went to an outdoor wedding just last weekend!

They keep saying this winter is going to be bad - I just worry about the holidays with my family, now that I am 3 hours away. If I couldn't get home for Christmas for some reason, I would be hysterical.

11. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Oct 28, 2011

Yuck, I was just coming on to start a thread about this. Channel 27 is saying 2-12"; that's a pretty big range.

I'm hoping it turns out to be nothing.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2011

Our forecast is for a snow/rain mix for tomorrow--no accumulation, though.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 28, 2011

Meanwhile, in North Dakota, we're having fall temps nearly 10 degrees above normal. I'm actually ready for our first snow and there's no hint of it any time soon!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2011

I was "over" snow right about the time I started driving. It seems we just got rid of it, so I am not looking forward to winter and all it brings.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 28, 2011

I love snow. That was the perk of out last duty station. I didn't even mind that we had a few blizzards in a row. I didn't get tired of it.

I also love that now I'm wearing tank tops and capri pants and sticking my body in the ocean. It's not hot. It's just not gold either. I do know it gets chilly here eventually. I will likely miss the snow later in the season.

On that note, my son wants to buy fake snow to give his girlfriend for Christmas. She has been here 4 years and really misses snow. I can't say I blame her!

Enjoy what you have. It can bring hardships though, especially for the elderly, medically fragile and homeless.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2011

It hasn't snowed this early in PA since 1971! I have a paper due for a class I'm taking so I'm excited to be snowed in. I was planning to cook a turkey - for no really good reason, just to get it out of my freezer.

17. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 29, 2011

I hope the snow holds off in the midwest this year until after Thanksgiving. Then I'll be done with my LTS that is 45 minutes away. I really do not want to have to go back to the lower pay just because I missed from the weather. Fortunately, it will be in the 60s today! A little too warm for snow. It has also been really dry!

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2011

Well it has started falling and it looks like a winter wonderland outside now! We have a nice covering. Fortunately the roads are too warm for it to stick there - they are still clear. I just heard the neighbor kids come out and start playing in it.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2011

Well, in spite of our forecast for a rain/snow mix all day today, there is brilliant sunlight streaming through the windows!

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2011

It's falling pretty hard here now. I can't believe I was swimming in my pool 3 weeks ago. We just closed it last week. This is crazy! I have a paper to write though so it's good to be stuck inside.

21. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Oct 29, 2011

Yep, it is definitely falling. Looks like my oil change will have to wait.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 29, 2011

I'm in the Midwest as well, and snow this early is unusual but not unheard of. When I was a high school senior we had such and ice storm that the mayor postponed all trick-or-treating until Nov. 3. My brothers and sisters went out in snow suits with their costumes over them. Back in '97 there was a horroble snow storm that brought down trees all over the city. A huge portion of the city was without electicity due to downed power lines.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

Our grass has a light coating, but that's all. The kids got a HUGE kick out of the snow yesterday!

A few miles from here, though, it's a different story. I understand that the north shore got slammed.

With any luck, the warmer temps today will melt it and trick or treating will go on as usual tomorrow.

The good news is that I was pushed into pulling out all the gloves and hats. Today everyone is trying on last year's snow boots, to ensure that we're good to go for the next real snow storm.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 10, 2011

I don't want snow days until late January of early February. We don't have a single day without kids from Jan through April.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2011

We realized yesterday that we should all be praying for no snow days until after Christmas--if we have any before, we will have school on Jan. 2 as a make-up day. :(