Snow/Winter themes

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cristyann_05, Dec 12, 2006.

1. cristyann_05

cristyann_05 Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

Hey everyone! I need to do my lesson plans and have ran out of ideas!:sorry: My school chosen theme is Snow/ Winter. I will have 4 year olds and need to cover as many of the curriculum areas as I can. I also will be working with 2 yr olds in the evening with this theme! Who is willing to share some great ideas?

3. vigilmama

vigilmama New Member

Dec 12, 2006

marble painting snowflakes would be fun with 2 yr olds or cookie cutting out winter shapes in play-do or cookie dough.

4 yr olds can make a snowman from construction paper pieces, or make ice skates and paper hole punch the skates to thread the lace/string through....they can also cut out snowflakes using folded up paper.

4. Iluvkids

Iluvkids Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

I work with 2 year olds and we're doing a week on penguins so maybe you could incorporate some penguin stuff in there since they live in the cold and snow. In the sensory table, I put packing peanuts and hid foam fish with paper clips on them and they went hunting for food like penguins but you could use magnets and let them go ice fishing.

dress up with winter clothes

pretend to ice skate around the room

put ice cubes in the sensory table or after it snows, use real snow

cotton ball snow men

coffee filter snow men colored with markers and sprayed with water

take black construction paper and let the kids paint it with white paint then before it dries put epsom salt on it and it dries looking like frosted windows

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 12, 2006

I teach 3's, so adapt accordingly :) Last week was "Winter Fun." Here are some of the things we did:

Q-tip snowflakes: puddle of glue on a wax paper sheet, then put half Q-tips meeting in the middle, cotton-ends out. Dip the ends in glue to sparkle. :)

Make snowmen... we gave them the pieces and THEY put it together... we have some very unusual ones. ;)

Give them a cut-out of a snowball, hat, and mittens... they glue it together and complete the sentance "My snowball is ______."

We sorted mittens by color.

Cut out pairs of matching mittens... hide one of each pair around the room, then give the second to a kid... they have to find its match.

We put snow from outside in a cup, then watched it melt... then we put it in the freezer and saw that it froze... then watched it melt again.

we played a mitten matching game... we progammed mitten pairs... upper/lower case letters, number/dots, shapes, patterns, etc. A great way to differentiate instruction. :)

use white lunch bags to make polar bear puppets. :)