Snow in Sensory Table?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Mar 2, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 2, 2009

We are getting a huge storm here, and I would like to put some of the snow in my water table tomorrow for the kids tomorrow. Any suggestions? I've never done snow before. My concern is that I have 3 centers for 15 minutes each, so if I did it, I would need the snow to last 45 minutes. I also would need to go out on my short lunch to refill for the afternoon class, which might logistically not happen.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2009

I say go for it! If you can't refill it, then maybe you can then use it next as a cold experience. Put some cups and maybe a baster in there with the cold water and see what they do! The children might surprise you. :)

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

I think you should do it. You could even ask the children to predict what happens when the snow starts to warm up.

5. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

I think the snow would last 45 minutes, I mean some of it would melt but the kids would enjoy playing with it melting as well. You could turn it into a science lesson as someone else suggested. My kids have always loved playing in the snow inside - they think it's cool.

6. kb8ywp

kb8ywp Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

If you put in enough snow it will last a lot longer than you think. When we put snow in the table a few weeks ago it lasted for 3 hours. It was still mostly snow at that point but the day was over. There was some melting, but not much. We did put quite a bit in. The kids got pretty creative with it. It got water dumped on it, painted, and had baby dolls climbing up the snow mountain. Way fun!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2009

I KNOW you've already considered it, but someone has to say it: is your sensory table close to the radiator? If so, could you move it?

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 2, 2009

When I taught preschool we did this and the kids loved it. Some put their gloves on because their hands got cold! Other got a kick out of their pink cold hands. And I think all the teachers were a bit grossed out at how dirty melted snow is when you think about how much snow kids eat no matter how often you tell them not to!

9. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

We put lots of snow in our sensory table too, usually in January. I have lots of mismatched mittens/gloves the children can use if they want to, but most love feeling it with their hands. Besides what other posters mentioned, we also put large animals inside to make tracks in the snow. Have fun!

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 2, 2009

Of course, go for it. As a director, I would support you--you are creating magic in the classroom.

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

I would go for it. I've done it n the kids love it, then I made fake snow out of ivory soap, crushed ice, liquid starch and salt. It lasted for over a week and I finally had to throw it out an dwahs it out o the bin-- it actually had a cool sensation to the touch--- the kids liked the real snow but they also liked the fake snow---

12. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Mar 4, 2009

Today we put a big chunk of ice in our sensory table and the children loved it; especially, when we pour hot water over it and it started to melt faster.