Snow Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jan 12, 2017.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 17, 2017

It's a record-high 63F here in central Ohio today. Not a chance of a snow day in the foreseeable future.

2. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 17, 2017

Today just got called off as well. Surprising to me because weather was worse last week and we still attended.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 17, 2017

I'm surprised that people find it odd teachers would have to make up the hours missed from a snow day. We are paid per days worked. In my case, the entire day is made up with students, so I still work the day. If the state wasn't going to require students to make up the day, I would still owe my contracted hours to the district. Sure, we all do work off contract, but I definitely understand being required to formally make them up.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 24, 2017

I'm pleased to announce my first snow day in the Ogden Utah area since I was in the 6th grade.

agdamity, DizneeTeachR and Peregrin5 like this.
  5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 24, 2017

So, do all employers pay for their employees to have transportation to work? How are all of the nurses, etc. getting to work?

I suppose it might be possible to use that expense as a tax deduction.

Backroads likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 25, 2017

If people can't get to work, they call and tell their employer they can't make it to work. Some places of employment let you use your sick time. Some don't. In extreme cases, some medical personnel in our area are picked up by people who volunteer (who have vehicles that do well in the snow). Otherwise, they just don't go in. The people who are already at the hospitals are sometimes mandated to work extra shifts because the staff for the next shift can't come in. I wouldn't force anyone to risk their lives to come into work. My husband worked in a hospital for 15 years and nobody was forced to come into work if the roads were too bad. You can penalize them somehow perhaps but you can't force them. I don't think schools should force their staff to use roads that are treacherous just because the parents don't want a snow day.

DizneeTeachR likes this.