Snow Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 12, 2017

How many snow days if any have you had so far this year? We've had 4. Coming from California where we have no snow days unless you live in particular areas, this is new to me. I hear we have to make up those days in some way and they might have to be added on at the end of the year. If you get snow days or other inclement weather days, how does your school make up for the hours (or do you make them up at all?)?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

None. The city just north of us has already had five. I would lay awake at night, checking the news saying Cities to the North are closing school. But my city is just too far south. Darn Utah climate chaos.

Technically, we do get snow days. The last time I remember a snow day in our area was 25 years ago ( I teach a city away from where I grew up). We have so many emergency days built into the school year schedule. Essentially, we schedule a few more days of school than the state requires. If we don't use any of them or all of them, great. Theoretically, if we used all of them and still had days off, they would be made up at the end of the year.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

I am enjoying my 5th of the year today. We had 4 before Christmas (3 consecutive)! We do not make them up at the end of the year and our school year is from Tuesday after Labour Day-June 30.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

Not to derail the thread, but perhaps as a further question if I may:

This is something I was thinking about last week when I was laying awake all night hoping for a snow day. There were some complaints from families that we did not call a snow day as the weather was pretty bad (though even my wishing state wasn't necessarily "snow day" level). Since we're a charter we would have the power to independently call school off. Anywho, our principal responded on her blog, and my mom's school district also had a similar thought:

In essence, the powers that be were hesitant to call snow days unless absolutely necessary due to the number of parents who work who would be affected by unexpected childcare commitments. My school is Title 1 and my mom's school district is not terribly wealthy.

Has anyone noticed that the local culture or SES can affect snow days?

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2017

We have actually had "rain days" here in Northern CA when flooding made the roads dangerous. We didn't have to make them up, which came as a surprise to me, since I grew up in New England and had to make up snow days at the end of the year.

7. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 12, 2017

We almost had to last week. It started coming down pretty good and we ended up dismissing around noon. Everything looks good for the next week at least, but we'll see how January and February finish out.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jan 12, 2017

Snow Days are made up at the end of the year, but we rarely have snow days.
    Even there is a blizzard, they will hold school. Joys of living in Illinois where snow is common.
    We have more heat days than snow days, days when the weather is in the 90s and some schools in the district do not have air conditioning

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

We never dismiss early. Many parents are not home during the day so once the busses are sent out in the morning, school is on for the full day. If the highways close during the day then we do cancel busses for the end of the day, but that's rare since it causes a huge circus of calling parents/alternate arrangements/families driving on closed roads etc.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 12, 2017

2 so far. We don't have to make them up. One year we had over 10 and still didn't make them up. We have hours we have to meet, and we're way over that.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 12, 2017

Yes. Interestingly, most companies that employ white collar workers were closed as well both yesterday and today, but it seemed to me that the companies that employ low wage workers were open today and probably yesterday as well.

Backroads likes this.
  12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2017

Our schools don't close because of weather. If roads are bad, the school buses are cancelled, but schools remain open. Some parents do decide to keep their children home these days, but most come to school. If staff don't feel that it is safe for them to get to their school, we are asked to report to the school nearest to us.

13. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jan 12, 2017

We've had one snow day, but we've also had three days with a two-hour delay and earlier this week we went home an hour and a half early which I've never experienced before. We have four extra days built into our schedule so we can have up to that many snow days before we have to think about making up days. If we get up to that point, we start losing holidays rather than adding them to the end of the year. I live in one of the snowiest areas in the country so most districts around here won't cancel unless absolutely necessary even with the built in days. If we have a two-hour delay, that day still counts so they'll try to do that first.

The district I worked at before this was a low SES school, but 80% of our kids walked to school so between how awful the plowing is and how many of them didn't have proper winter gear, we closed a little more often than some districts. If we didn't, absentee numbers were always really high. Before Thanksgiving break we had a day like that and my largest class was 11 kids (out of 25) and my smallest was 5 kids (out of 24). I haven't been at my current district long enough to really see a pattern yet although they do seem to delay rather than close if at all possible.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 12, 2017

We've had one. It didn't even snow 1/2 inch, but here in the South people freak out at the possibility of snow. We build 5 days into the calendar. However many we don't use, we get out that many days early at the end of the year. If we go over five, they get added on to the end of the year. My state passed a law last year that you can add hours to each day to make up snow days, so some schools go an extra hour for six days to make up each day missed.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 12, 2017

Wow, Mrs. C: this sounds like a recipe for disaster. If a teacher/teachers report to the school nearest to their home, who teaches their class at their home school? Also, if only 1/2 or 1/3 of a class shows up, is it business as usual in the classroom (meaning, a teacher would teach lessons as though the entire class is there)?

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, though! Haha!

ready2learn likes this.
  16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2017

Most schools in our county had one today. We had freezing rain overnight making the dirt roads skating rinks.

Backroada....A lot if the bigger city schools around 2 major...Do try to close the night before ( if they do you know it is bad). Today one closed this morning.... That is rare because of the childcare concern. Our schools are rural... We have more dirt roads than paved... Doesn't take a lot to lose the road or be a skating rink.

I am wondering how many will close tomorrow... We had a mix of every type of precip (last night we had a small thunderstorm), then freezing rain,hail grauple & the sun came out. It was around freezing for temps... Now only 27.