Snow days

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by luvmykids, Dec 15, 2005.

1. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 15, 2005

Don't get me wrong, I love snow days and all but I need to finish my units before the Christmas break!! What do you all do when you have a long break like Christmas and you don't get all of the material covered and tested before you let out? Should I send home some extra credit review stuff or just forget it and review a lot when we return. All of these missed days this week have thrown me off schedule.

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 16, 2005

We haven't missed any days, but the way our things are set up, we didn't even plan to have stuff done before break. We just worked in reviews the day we get back. No new material (other than reading which is a new story every week) until the second day we're back.

4. Katerie

Katerie Rookie

Dec 16, 2005

That happens here. Our superintendent never cancels school, very seldomly, that is, but when he does, he picks the worst times. As a child, I should probably like the fact that today is a snow day, but that just means we aren't going to get everything done before Christmas break, which starts next week. I missed three quizzes. not good.

5. cingy

cingy Rookie

Dec 16, 2005

Life is not governed by what we need to cover in the classroom. We also had a snow day today, and I thought...oh no I will not be able to finish...but then I stopped and realized there is nothing that I can do about the weather. As much as I would like to think that I can control just about anything, I can't. So instead of spending too much time worrying about not being able to cover the whole unit, ask your kids on Monday how they spent their snow day. Test them on what they were exposed too, if you have too and do not worry that it might show up on some kind of state test. In the whole scheme of things, the small amount of material that you might not have gotten to, is miniscule.

Please do not send home work for the kids over their BREAK! Let them have a break from school and allow them time to enjoy being with their families.

Karen