Snow days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by midwestteacher, Feb 17, 2010.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 17, 2010

I talked to my brother tonight. He said his kids have been in school 7 or 8 days since Christmas and have missed 21 days. The super has declared mandatory Saturday school for all students (weather permitting) until further notice. Their state has a law that states school must be out by June 10th. There is also a law about 180 days in the classroom. The super said they will be breaking a law, they just don't know which one yet.
    He said there have been several days when he has taken the girls to school at 7:45 just to get a call to come pick them up before 8:30 because they were closing.
    We have missed 5 days so far this year and any other days that we miss will go onto the end of the school year, but I sure am glad we aren't dealing with what he is dealing with this winter.

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 17, 2010

Wow! Why 21 days? Where is this? Has it really been that incredibly bad there?

I'm in central Illinois, and we've only been closed for 3 since the winter break.

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 18, 2010

Its been bad in the PA/WV area - even the universities closed for an entire week. The local school district hasn't had one day of school in February yet. They did go in January though

I think extending the school year makes more sense than saturday school - at least it will least incense the parents who can no longer have their child in the saturday activities that are already paid for.

My school used to refuse to give us snow days because of a state law requiring the days to be made up - we often had school regular hours when every tv and news station was broadcasting "do not drive unless its an emergency." Parents finally had enough of it after the one day that a high school bus
    didn't arrive until the last lunch period (around 12:30, school started at 7:30). - It was something like their original bus wrecked, then the bus that came to take them instead ended up getting stuck in a snowbank. But I checked them online again this year and saw the old familiar "all schools in X county are closed except for ABC school which is operating on schedule" message

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

We get 5 calamity days and we have used 4 this year with more snow on the way. We have 1 possible make up day (if needed) at the end of spring break (teacher work day) and after that we will make up days in June.

When I was in high school we missed over 15 days one year and got an exemption from the state so we only had to make up 2. As senior it was great, but I'm sure there were teachers who felt like they had to cram to get us ready for big tests like AP exams.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2010

We have missed 2 days so far. I don't think we have ever had to make up days... but we go until the bitter end of June. Unless they kept us into July, I don't know how that would be possible. 21 days seems quite extreme!

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2010

We have missed nine. We've also had multiple late openings and early closings. I know we'll have to make some of them up, but we have 4 snow days scheduled into our year (which are taken off the end of the year if not used), and we have had two excused by the state board of ed because the state had declared a state of emergency on those days. We will probably get 3 more excused because of that.

I have more than 4 feet of snow in my yard....and in the places that the backhoe piled all of the snow from my street, I have piles as high as the house itself!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2010

WOWWW!!

I've missed 3-- my husband and the kids have only missed 2.

Right now there's about a foot of snow on the ground, with some sort of precipitation on its way Monday night-- way too early for them to say what kind.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2010

Our class pen pals near DC are just getting back to school for the first time since Feb 4.
    My school tacks snow days to the end of the year...after a certain point they would start chipping away at spring break, etc.

10. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

We've missed eight and could miss more. I'm not sure how all of these will be made up - they are trying to figure that out!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 18, 2010

No snow days for me! :rolleyes: The kids REALLY grumble about this, but until there's a giant snow drift between them and their home computer, they have classes. On the other hand, we will have an intact Spring Break despite some counties going to a Level 3 emergency. We also give an excused day for students without power or connectivity.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 18, 2010

I don't know what is up here this year but we only missed one day and it was in early December. We have had one late arrival. Usually we are between 7 and 10 snow days a year. We don't have much snow at all. I can see parts of our dirt lawn. I would like a at least a foot of snow because I'm starting a snowshoe club on Monday.
    We don't have any snow days built into our calendar. When we miss a day we tack it onto the end of the year.

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 18, 2010

They are in northwestern North Carolina - in the mountains.

14. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Feb 18, 2010

We've missed 9 and we have 3 "built in" days.

I've heard they are going to add 30 min. on at the end of the day starting in March to make them up (which totally stinks.) However we already get out on June 22nd.

I also heard that the county can fill out a "waiver" due to the state of emergency (many other counties in the area already filled them out) however my county won't do it. (They have an attitude where they think they're "better" so they won't resort to it.)

My kids are going to be off the wall if they add extra time. We already have a long day!