Snow Days and Tests....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RadiantBerg, Dec 8, 2013.

1. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

We are getting some pretty decent snow right now. I doubt we'll have a snow day tomorrow, but just as a hypothetical...

Every department is given only two days that they are allowed to give tests on so the kids don't have too many tests on one day. Math dept. can give tests on Tuesdays and Fridays.

I have a test scheduled for this Tuesday that kids have known about for about a month. They already have a study guide and everything. If we have school tomorrow, then tomorrow will just be a review day working on the study guide for Tuesday's test. If we have a snow day though, I am not sure what to do. Would you give the test on Tuesday anyway? Note that I can't just give it Wednesday and review Tuesday--I would get lots of complaints as Weds. is not a math testing day so if I didn't give it Tuesday, it would have to be pushed back to Friday. I am worried that I would get some complaints if I gave on Tuesday after having no school on Monday even if they've known about it for some time now and Monday would be no new content. On the other hand, if I push it to Friday, I am certainly not just going to waste 3 full periods on review. I would have to start new content (that would not be on the test) before giving the test. I am afraid this would confuse them, and they wouldn't learn the new content very well either.

Again, hypothetical as I doubt we'll actually get the snow day, but situations like this have come up... What would you do? Just give the test Tuesday or push it back and hope for the best?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

I'd ask for permission to test on Wednesday first. If that was a no-go, I'd give the test on Tuesday, and explain to students why you aren't allowed to give it on Tuesday.

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 8, 2013

This. The math department's testing might be off schedule, too. It might work on in best for both departments.

Maybe you can visit with students and give them a heads up that in the future they'll be given a test even if follows a snow day?

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

True. The more I think about it, I think I may just give them the option to take it Tuesday or Wednesday....this way I can say they had the option to take it on the appropriate testing day, but if they did not choose to do so, then they had to do it a different day.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2013

Consider creating two different tests then.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

The problem with this... wouldn't you basically be wasting a day of class? Or would the Wednesday testers have to come to you after school/outside of class? And what would the Wednesday testers do in class on Tuesday?

8. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

Not exactly. We use spend one day on review anyway.

The Wednesday testers could work silently on the review packet on Tuesday. I can almost guarantee that I would have less than 5 Tuesday testers per class, and those 5 can work on a RTN on Wednesday that others will have to do for homework.

9. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

Good idea---though I always tell the Tuesday testers that the more they tell others, the less chance there could ever be for any type of curve or anything...(though I've never done anything more than a 2-3% curve anyway ;))

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 8, 2013

I would move on with new material and test Friday.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2013

As long as it's hyptothetical and not a real last minute situation:

Tell the kids that anytime there's a situation like this one, you'll post the review sheet on your webpage-- they're to look it up and do the appropriate review if they need to.

As to two different tests, I would consider that a given. Most kids care so very much about what their friends think that they wouldn't consider NOT sharing what was on the first day's test.

In math, in particular, it's incredibly easy to make up multiple versions of a test.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2013

I'm in a different situation--we were supposed to have a math test over a very short unit (congruence, transformations, and line symmetry) on Friday. We had a snow day then. I told the kids to still be prepared to take the test on Monday in that case. We are closed again today. At this point, it will be as much time off as we spent working on this chapter. I'm debating between a quick review and then taking the test tomorrow, or a full review day and then taking it on Wednesday. Any thoughts?

(I'm only hijacking since it seems the original question was pretty thoroughly answered...)