Snow Day!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 2, 2007

I woke up this morning to about 3 inches of snow. Not a ton, but much more than what was predicted as of last night. I checked the tv and online and no schools were cancelled so I showered, got dressed, went outside to shovel and clean off my car and then left for work. The roads were AWFUL! I guess that's because they really weren't expecting the snow to accumulate to anything so they've hardly plowed or sanded. My ride to work is usually between 5 and 10 minutes, but today it took me almost 25. Scary ride.

Anyway, I get there and the parking lot is almost empy (and not plowed at all, I might add). I just figured that people were running late because of the weather. Then, a parent yells to me as she's going to her car that they cancelled school. I went inside to double-check and they had just made the call to the local radio station. School starts at 8;30 and they cancelled at about 8:10. It makes no sense. I feel so bad for the parents who have to figure out what they're doing with their kids now. My weekend is starting early, though!

3. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

Lucky you Beth!! Enjoy your weekend.

That's too bad you had to drive out on those roads for no reason though. :sorry:

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 2, 2007

I plan to! I'm going to especially enjoy the time off after the rough week I had.

I've already started my laundry and some cleaning so that I don't have anything to do for the rest of the weekend. :)

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

Oh that stinks you made it all the way there. Why didn't any one call and tell you?

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2007

I have the day off too... I saw it on the tv before I got my phone call. It is crazy that they waited that long to cancel!

I have had that happen once before- they had the buses literally at the school, and the snow got worse, so they sent the kids back home. Parents were furious!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 2, 2007

They didn't even decide to cancel until about 8:00. As far as I know, all of the local public schools are open and normally our school goes along with them, but because they were open there were no annoucements on tv or the radio. They were literally just making the call to announce it on the radio as I was getting there. There were a ton of kids there for before school care that need to get picked up and they were turning parents away left and right. People are not happy.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 2, 2007

We got out early Wednesday, and have snow days yesterday and today. I'm waiting on Enterprise to call me and deliver the loaner that the insurance company is providing (my car was hit in the school parking lot for those of you who don't know). Main hwys are fine, but side roads are still not great.

This means we will be going until June 6, instead of June 1st. The snow days are actually a blessing in disguise. I've had a fever and have been coughing for 2 days. Also, one of my classes that I have to drive for 4 hours to Searcy is on June 1st & 2nd. I wasn't going to get to take it because there is no way to take off a half day on the last day of school. Now I can take it off and go to the class.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2007

What is snow?

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 2, 2007

haha

Here are some pictures of my yard and street.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

We didn't get snow(already have that)........but extremely cold weather is on its way. The HIGH will be 3 degrees tomorrow, with wind chills, it will could be -25 below or more! I guess I will be staying inside all weekend!

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

I just checked the forecast and it is supposed to get down to -35 to -40 below with the wind chill Saturday and Sunday!:eek:

13. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Feb 2, 2007

That is some beautiful snow! We had just about an inch yesterday! I don't want any more snow days though, we are now making up 4 of them and I got sooooo bored staying home for a week! LOL!

You enjoy your day off though!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

We have both....Predicting lots of snow & cold!!!
    This is from local weather blog...this person went to scool to be weather man!!!
    Oh I thought I’d post this too, I checked my e-mail and NWS is going to be posting winter storm warnings for first two rows of counties from the lake shore east. Blinding snows and severe wind chills as low as -35 are possible the next 48 to 72 hours. There advising that anyone living near the favored lake effect snow areas to stock up and stay home if possible the next 2 days. This air mass that is coming in will create extremely dangerous driving conditions, with frequent white out conditions, dangerous wind chills and unusually heavy snows, there saying possibly the worst in over 10 years. I would also add to this keep your faucets dripping you don’t want somebody digging up your front yard the middle of winter.

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 2, 2007

I am at a school that had a two-hour planned delay this morning for teacher inservices. When I drove here, the roads were not very good! I could only drive about 40 to 45 mph. They were snow packed. I have been watching it continue to snow, off and on, all day. I think I'll take the main roads home.

Right now, it's about 30 degrees - not too bad. But, this weekend is supposed to be bitterly cold with windchills in the -10 to -20 degrees. Darn! We have to drive over to Dayton to the AFB Commissary. My cupboards/frig/freezer are bare! At least the frozen foods will stay frozen in the trunk!

16. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

We only had about 1 1/2 inches of snow yesterday, but school was cancelled. They had cancelled at 4:30 am in anticipation of the snow...which was a first (the cancelling before any weather). I was so glad to be out, although I had the alterior motive of it being my birthday for wanting a day off! So at least I got to enjoy myself by doing absolutely nothing! However, it warmed up enough so all the snow is gone now. :(

17. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

Isn't it funny how women always take days off to do chores? I know I do!:rolleyes:

Beth, I am so jealous of those snow pictures!

18. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 2, 2007

Last cold front passed thru this week and we had it in the low to upper 40's..
    I am Still in long sleeves although its probably about 80 out now!
    Can you imagine what this weather must be like for the superbowl travelers! Its going to be at least 80 plus this weekend!

19. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Feb 2, 2007

We were anticipating snow in Northern NJ all week but I woke up and did not even have a flake on the ground. Would have love to have had a SNOW DAY... Oh well, maybe we will get out earlier...

Enjoy the weekend!!!

20. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 2, 2007

We got hit by snow back at the beginning of the year. It was a lot more snow in the city than people had seen in over 20 years. They cancelled school for three days, just the clean up was so bad it made it a safety issue. I loved the snow, my house didn't....We still might get more snow, but if it gives another snow day they plan to extend the school day come April.

21. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2007

I'm so jealous of all the snow! I moved up father north this year- to the corner of the state where it always snows...and we have barely gotten a full 2 inches all winter! It was supposed to snow today...but there was nothing on the ground! I just want one snow day...or delay...so I can sleep in!

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 2, 2007

The three inches we got today is more than our entire winter's accumulations so far this year! haha We were only at 1.8 inches as of yesterday.

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

We are getting it right now Beth. Or getting something.

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

Jaime, are you in Scaryville or home?

25. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Feb 2, 2007

jeesh, they need to come up with a different plan for calling snow days. Back in MN, snow days happen about a couple of times a year. They usually cancel the night before or VERY early in the morning right away (like 6am). I remember something along the lines of them wanting to cancel as soon as possible so they could give people plenty of warning...otherwise they would make it a half day of school.

26. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

No snow here!:D

27. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 3, 2007

Congrats! :p However, it will get old after awhile, especially if you have a lot of snow days. We had to totally rearrange our calendar to make up the 6 days we missed.

28. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 3, 2007

Oh, I know. Been there done that! :D

29. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 3, 2007

We can't count half days of school here. School has to go to 1:30 in order to count as a whole day (and only because of our high schools' zero hour). If we get out before 1:30, we are not allowed to count the day at all.