Snow Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissScrimmage, Jan 11, 2013.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 11, 2013

I'm at home enjoying a much needed snow day!! I know we only we went back on Monday, but 4 days was more than enough.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2013

Lucky you! It doesn't look like we'll get a snow day this year, which on one hand means we'll get to keep our days off towards the end of the year, but makes for a long stretch between now and spring break in mid-March.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2013

80 degrees all week in North FLa. What is snow?
    strange weather............

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2013

Hope you're all stocked up, MissScrimmage! Sounds like east and west are both getting hammered!

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2013

And we are in the 60s today! I'm hoping the snowstorm we got the day after Christmas doesn't end up being the only one of the year--I might not be able to handle going two years in a row without any snow days!

Hope yours was very relaxing. :)

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 11, 2013

So far so good. I think it's worse in rural areas, which is where I teach. I popped out for groceries this morning because 10-15 cm of snow is apparently on its way. Haven't seen too much yet.

8. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 11, 2013

We have about 14 inches of snow on the ground here in NE California. No snow days for us - EVER!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 11, 2013

I have my windows up!

We had TWO snow days last year and a ridiculously long summer vacation. The previous year we had over 20 snow days. Normally we are around 10.

I wouldn't mind a snow day next Friday so I can have a four day weekend.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 11, 2013

We almost had a snow day. At least that's what it looked like. I work in the mountains, and if we have snow even for part of the roads (above about 3000 feet) we have a snow day because that means we can't get to school.

I don't like snow days, because if I don't work, I don't get paid.
    There was no snow in sight, just a very beautiful, very cold day. :)

11. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 11, 2013

I had a snow day today also. It was nice to just relax and not have anywhere to go today. We went back for 3 days last week, so a 4 day week this week wasn't bad at all.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2013

How nice! It never snows in my city! I wish it would snow 1 or 2 times a year for a few days. That's nice enough for me. Well, I worked 3 days this week because I have Mons off in general & went to an all-day training today. To me, any training is better than going to work.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 12, 2013

Sorry, but if I disliked my job so much that I would rather go to any training, I would be looking for another job.
    I was out Thursday for a common core class, and my favorite part of Friday was all the hugs and kids telling me they missed me.:)

14. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jan 12, 2013

It's hard to believe we'll ever get a snow day here in NC! The high today in my area is in the 70s. Weird weather!

15. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 12, 2013

Mine wasn't so much a snow day as an ice day. I live in northern Minnesota and with temps in the high 40s on Thursday and rain overnight with a temperature drop, we ended up with freezing rain and icy roads. It is now 6 degrees...

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2013

There were parts of north, central Texas that got snow on Christmas and another time during the break, but we haven't had anything close to a snow day this year. I think we had one last year. The year before that we had an unusal winter and had 5 snow days!! I wouldn't mind one in mid Feb to kind of break up the long stretch between now and mid March.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 12, 2013

Well, to each his/her own. With my situation, I'm new at my career, so I want to learn all I can to do my job as effectively as possible. I'm excited to learn all these things. I agree that your common core training sounds pretty boring. Maybe it's because I'm in a different kind of work. For example, I willingly registered for a training I went to yesterday & the topic was Meeting the Needs of English Learners w/ Disabilities: ID, Eligibility, & Development of IEPs. I registered for a 2-day one next week titled Autism & Social Communication because I want to learn a lot more about autism. I signed up for another next month about autism & another about Pre-school play skills. I don't know, to me, I just want to learn about all those kind of topics. I try to sign up for as many trainings as I can without it looking like I'm neglecting my actual job/kids. I'm in speech pathology. Plus, I'm still in grad school, taking rigorous courses for the job I already have now.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2013

Ms. I, I don't think that Missy meant that she doesn't like or appreciate training, just that she enjoys the student contact aspects of her job more, as do I. I appreciate the opportunities to learn all that I can, but don't like to have to take time away from my students to do that.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2013

:thumb: I :love: learning and am so fortunate to be in a district that values PD. We have tremendous, valuable opportunities afforded to us in my district. But even when I'm at a great workshop, I find myself looking at the clock and wondering how my kiddos are doing.:love:

That said, I do love a snow day...I'll even sleep with my pjs on inside out to tip the balance.:D

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 12, 2013

Exactly! You said it better than I did.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 13, 2013

I watch the clock to thinking, "Right now they should be...". And you can't beat the enthusiastic welcome I receive when I come back!! :wub:

I do have a question though - does sleeping with pjs on inside out really improve the odds of a snow day???

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2013

Oh, not the pjs alone...one must also do the 'snow dance':blush:

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 13, 2013

If that's increased your odds in the past, try it again! ;)