Snow Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RainStorm, Jan 9, 2011.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 11, 2011

2nd snow day :) am still in my pj's at 11:30 :) have some of the household chores that I normally don't do until the weekend already finished :) :) now all I have to do is decide how i am going to squeeze the information that I wasn't able to cover the last 2 days into a shorter time period. Especially since the roads are still icy and not melting.

2. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 11, 2011

I'm enjoying my snow day :)

They called it last night, so I stayed up late watching The Office and then slept until noon. :whistle:

I'm enjoying my coffee and in a bit I plan to enter grades and do my pans before venturing out to the post office.

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 11, 2011

Snow day # 3 has already been called for tomorrow.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

YES!!

Peter and the kids have heard officially.

The AP in Peter's school is married to the dean in mine (we're the only 2 couples the 2 schools share.) He told Peter that I could expect a phone call soon.

I LOVE when you know the night before and can sleep in a bit!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

Yay, Alice!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

Snow day in my district tomorrow!! Didn't even have to put my PJs on backwards (which by the way was listed as HW in my class today!:lol:)

7. smalltowngal

Jan 11, 2011

:lol: cza! That's great!

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 11, 2011

Well, tomorrow will be the 3rd snow day for me in Alabama... Geeeeeee!!! MELT ALREADY!! I don't see that happening. Low's in the teens-20's and High tomorrow 33. The roads are slushy to completely iced over still. *sigh*

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 11, 2011

We have a 10:00 start tomorrow, and I would guess that will be it, but you never know. The highways are clear, but when 80% of your kids come from the country, and all the country roads are blocked still...plus the temp tonight is -11, with a windchill of -30! And, if school starts at the normal time, 7:57, we have kids on the bus at 6:00. School buses do not start well in -30 temps at 6:00am!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

:( We got about 1cm overnight.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

I just got up and looked out the window. It doesn't look TOO bad-- maybe 6-8"???

And my tiny, little one way street has already been plowed. (Neighboring NYC faced a LOT of cirticism after the Christmas week storm; I think everyone was determined to be really on top of this one.)

So I think my hopes of TWO snow days have been dashed.

I'll just have to enjoy this one!

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 12, 2011

LOL Alice, one snow day is better than none.
    We have a two hour delay.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Could one of you who is having a snow day take a nap for me today? A couple of hours should do.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

I would, Mrs. C.

But I'm not a good sleeper. I can't nap unless I'm sick.

So someone else will have to pick up the slack!

15. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 12, 2011

MrsC,

Ms. Wolfie (my sheltie) will cover your nap for you today. She normally takes a nap from 1-3 so I am sure she wouldn't mind starting a couple of hours early so that she can fit your nap in also :)

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

So, I underestimated a bit-we probably got about 5 cm, more where there are drifts.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2011

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2011

I don't have a snow day, but today is my day off. I'll try to pick up the slack for Alice, though I might not be able to go back to sleep.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Thanks, mm. I can always count on you.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Not terrible here...on the news it looks like most major roads are ok...three of us home today: me with snow day, college son who is on break, and dh who didn't have any appointments today and will work online (plus he's fighting a cold so it's good for him to have the day) older son has delayed opening at work...he's an accountant and they are in the midst of year end closings. Not sure if I'll go tutor today...I'll see what unfolds during the day.

Enjoy your snow days!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

The timing worked out well for Peter; he's feeling pretty crummy but wouldn't want to call in sick for "just a cold."

So he can stay in bed until dinner time if he wants; the 6 or 8" of snow isn't so insurmountable that I can't shovel it (with some "help" from the girls, though my real helper is sleeping over Joey's house.)

I'm determined to lose a bit of weight, and shoveling will both keep me away from carbs and burn off some calories in advance of tonight's dinner out.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2011

Alice, my "real" helper is my 9 year old. If I get home from work and my garage needs to be shoveled out, it's Stuart who unfailingly comes out to help.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2011

Now for that nap. Will an hour do, MrsC?

24. smalltowngal

Jan 12, 2011

Wish I could take a nap for you MrsC. It's been really hard to get back into the swing of things after break. I go to bed at a reasonable time, but when I wake up in the mornings, I'm just so tired!

Melissa~If Ms. Wolfie wouldn't mind taking a nap for me, I'd appreciate it!

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Sounds perfect; I'm fading fast here.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2011

Well, after several false starts, a few phone calls, and switching laundry, I finally got in about an hour and a half nap. That'll have to do for both of us.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

My real helper is our gas powered snow blower...we have a looong driveway and bought the blower last year at end of season on sale.it's awesome.

I'm going out to tutor at 4. My student has a math test tomorrow so it's good to do a 'refresher' today. The roads are actually ok, but it will ice up later so I'll be cautiously slow driving home.

Alice, did you ever get your snow boots you ordered? I'm thinking of checking the stores later as I seriously don't have anything near a 'serviceable' pair!:eek:

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2011

cza, I've had a pair Sorel Caribou boots similar to these for years........ They're great!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sorel-c...kingCode=F56C64C1-75A1-DF11-904F-002219319097

Also, I have a snow blower which would make "Tim Taylor" on the old Home Improvement show jealous....... Snow blowers can be a lot of fun (in the hands of a mischievous operator) ..:p

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Yes, I did.

I ordered these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EYVMZQ/ref=oss_product on 12/27, and had them 3 days later.

My tiny little one way street is bone dry in the middle. The town did an amazing job of plowing.

Looks like 8+ inches of snow got us only one snow day. That's OK, it was a delightful treat. Brian earned $18 this morning shoveling, so he's in heaven.

30. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 12, 2011

snow day for me too. DH used our snowblower (bought used off craigslist) this morning and he went to work regular time. I cleaned our master bathroom and will fold some laundry soon.
    maybe tonight DH and I will head to the gym.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Aside from shoveling, all I've accomplished is putting in one measlly load of laundry.

That's OK. It's a snow day. This time around, a pretty lazy one :)

The girls were out playing in the snow for about 2 hours. Poor Julia came in, in tears because she was so cold. (She's a smart 10 year old. I don't understand why she didn't simply come in earlier. I suspect she was having too much fun, and just didn't feel it until she decided to come in.) So I helped her change, quickly, into some sweats and warm socks, and made her (and Kira and Julia's friend) some hot chocolate. She's in bed, huddled under some covers, watching TV.

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 12, 2011

I think we'll be out the rest of the week. Teachers went Monday, as the main roads were clear, but the buses couldn't travel the secondary roads. Monday night the mountains got snow, so everybody was out Tuesday. Then it started snowing yesterday afternoon, and it's still snowing now. The county went through their entire salt stockpile for this winter before Christmas. Now they're just plowing, although today I thought they salted my road. When I went to get the mail, I noticed that it was SAND, not salt.

The repair guy came this morning to fix my washer, so I've done six loads of laundry. I still have to clean the bathroom. I was going to grade papers, but I've already gotten the no school call for tomorrow. I might just wait and do them tomorrow. I am out of my allergy medicine, so today I called to have it transferred from Wal-Mart in the next town to the local pharmacy so I don't have to go do far in the snow tomorrow. I might run to my classroom and feed my fish and get copies for my next unit. Our school is on a hill, but I have 4-wheel drive.

33. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 12, 2011

stg,

No problem, Ms. Wolfie got in about an hour nap for MrsC and she also took an extra nap after I gave her a bath so maybe that one can count for you.

Just got the call. Snow day #4 tomorrow due to ice still left on the side roads and many of the other areas. Main roads look to be pretty clear overall (from the t.v.) but everything else is still icy or slushy so will refreeze tonight.
    According to the e-mail that the super sent we may have a possible return to school Friday.

34. smalltowngal

Jan 12, 2011

Will you thank Ms. Wolfie for me, Melissa? :lol: And why would you make the kids go on Friday after being out all week?

35. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 12, 2011

So...tomorrow is my 4th snow day in a row. If we go Friday, it will be a delay and then we're out Monday for MLK day! Our roads are still really icy. I got out and went to the grocery store and had to be very careful! The roads that don't get much sun are frozen solid.

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2011

I just wish it would stop snowing here....not that we'll cancel school, but really, it's been 6 days....

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Thanks for the naps! Between those and the 8:00pm bedtime I have scheduled for myself tonight, I should be good to go tomorrow.

38. smalltowngal

Jan 12, 2011

:lol: MrsC! I almost took a nap when I got home! Now its too late, but I'm sure the bed will be seeing me earlier than normal tonight.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

They look warm, Major. I'm working on getting over the fact that most good warm snow boots aren't cute.:blush: hence, I am wearing snow boots that are over 15 years old...they were cute at the time, but I need some new ones...might have to bite the bullet and just go with 'serviceable' over cute. Considering I fell on the ice at school last week and am still bruised, I might have to get over it now.

40. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 12, 2011

please, please let me know if you are able to find cute snow boots. Mine are probably almost as old as your boots cza for the very same reason. :D