Snow Day!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RainStorm, Jan 9, 2011.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 9, 2011

Just got the word that tomorrow will be a snow day. Yippee!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

YAY!!

NOTHING like getting that call the night before!!!!

Sleep in and enjoy!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

Enjoy it!

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 9, 2011

Yay! Me too. In fact, EVERY school that I can think of within a 75 mile radius of me is closed tomorrow! Including the University, both in Kearney and Lincoln.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 9, 2011

Fingers crossed that we get one!

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 9, 2011

Snow day! Now, if we weren't hosting a friend overnight, I could have a productive day off.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

Yayyyyyyyy for snow days!!!!!!! Even though I've never really had them :lol: I moved from a place where 60F is cold to a place where a foot of snow in a single day isn't enough to close the schools. Oh, well :lol:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

Rain...your snow is expected to creep up the coast and be to NJ/NY by Tuesday night...I'll be sleeping in my pjs inside out on Tuesday night.

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 9, 2011

I think almost all of Georgia is having a snow day tomorrow! A snow day on a Monday--it's a like a double goody!!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

I'm watching my friends' FB statuses...nearly everybody in the GA area is posting about snow days.

One of them posted this...I thought it was hysterical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6mIi6qSWfQ

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 9, 2011

The kids are out tomorrow, but the teachers are working.

We have leftover snow from Friday/Saturday. The main roads are clear, but the secondary roads are still really slick. We're expecting to get hit by a storm tomorrow and another on Tuesday. One is coming down from the north and the other is coming up from the south. Forecasts vary, so who knows how much we'll get.

13. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 9, 2011

I have a snow day, too! In fact, it seems like the entire state of South Carolina has been shut down for tomorrow. Winter in the South...it's amusing. :)

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 9, 2011

Snow day here too :) knew early this afternoon that we had Monday off :) possibility of Tuesday also (we will know by early tomorrow afternoon).

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 9, 2011

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 9, 2011

:lol: I loved it mm!

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

Ick. Just Ick. We had two blizzards come through right before new years. Even though we only got 10 inches of new snow between the new storms, the 35-45mph wind (gusts to 60) made a huge mess of the 36 inches already on the ground. I'd MUCH rather get a new storm that dumps a foot of new snow than a storm with a little snow but a lot of wind.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2011

I would like a snow day....it's been in the high 70s here.

19. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 10, 2011

Snow day here. We have an almost unheard of 6 inches and its still snowing. Its so bad that my DH's company has closed too. It is supposed to snow all day and another one expected sometime Tuesday. We may not make it to school until Thursday. Thank goodness for our banked foul weather days!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

For those of us on Long Island, from news12: (bold is mine)

"TOMORROW: Winter Storm Watch for Tuesday night into Wednesday. Increasing clouds becoming cloudy by afternoon. Light snow developing between 4 and 8pm. Highs 30-35. Snow will be heavy at night with strong winds developing. Poor visibilities with blowing and drifting snow, hazardous travel conditions. Snow may mix with sleet and rain on the East End and South Shore.

Wednesday: Winter Storm Watch. Moderate to heavy snow in the morning hours. Strong winds, near blizzard conditions. Blowing and Drifting snow, hazardous travel. Snow may mix with sleet and rain on South Shore and East End. Major snow accumulations likely."

I looks like the storm that's giving some of you today's snow day is going to collide with a low coming up the coast.

Wow-- twice in less than 3 weeks.

Doing the happy dance!

(Of course, Gotcha Day is Wednesday. But that's OK-- we'll find a way to celebrate even if we have to postpone dinner for a day or so.)

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2011

Glad you finally got your snow, kc!!

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

We're getting more snow today, but I don't even want to know what it would take to close the schools here. It's really pretty outside right now. At least it warmed up a bit.

23. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 10, 2011

Fun! Enjoy it. :) I'm not working right now since I'm home with baby but I still like watching all the school closings on TV and getting excited when I see my old schools closed, haha.

I think snow days are one reason why I always want to work in a school! I can't imagine having to drive and work a full day in the middle of a snow storm! I get really nervous when DH has to go to work in the snow.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

Yeah, going to work in a bad storm is no fun. We had some pretty bad storms not too long ago and I had to work during both blizzards. I was really wishing I worked in a school right about then.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

Snow on the ground here too, but we're at school. There is more coming (probably not much). All the schools surrounding us are closed.

26. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

We're out today! I could get used to a 4 day week!

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

MM, do any businesses close there when it snows? Today, all of the banks, courthouses, malls, everything was closed.

Jeez, are North Dakotans part yetti?? :lol:

28. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 10, 2011

We are out of school tomorrow, too! They made the decision at about noon today. Nothing around here has melted and now we're supposed to get ice tonight on top of all the snow.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

The news just showed pictures of the Atlanta airport... prettty amazing. (Though less so if you're supposed to be on one of the thousands of stranded flights.)

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

Oh, a friend of mine is in Atlanta right now at a conference! She was so looking forward to being in the south and having decent weather, guess that plan backfired!

31. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

School cancelled today and tomorrow...so far. We have 6 inches already and more on the way. We might be back in school by Thursday or Friday at this rate.

Fortunately, one of my coworkers had a great idea last week. To avoid falling any further behind due to lost days, she made a "Snow Pack" of worksheets for the kids to take home. They are to complete 1 worksheet per day when school is closed or dismissed early due to weather.

I followed through on this idea in my own class and handed out MY "Snow Packs" to the kiddos on Friday (since I knew there was a good chance we would be out today). I gave the kids very specific instructions; they are to complete ONE worksheet per day. I even stapled them (along with directions) in the order I wanted them finished. Now we'll see whether the kiddos actually do the work while they are out. :rolleyes:

32. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

We got several inches today. Being rural, it doesn't take much to keep buses off the road, county roads are low on the maintenance list.

FINGERS CROSSED for a snow day tomorrow!

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

Ooh, that's a good idea Cerek. I wish I would have done that Friday! I'm pretty sure we'll have to start all over with matrices when we get back...

34. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

Were you out today ku? I saw some Kansas closings on our news, but only the very northern ones (Smith Center, Rock Hills, Kensington)

35. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

We covered addition/subtraction of fractions and mixed numbers before Christmas Break. I had scheduled a mid-unit test on the content, but we had our first big snow storm the week before Break, so that didn't happen. That meant I was actually two weeks behind because I had to spend our first week back reviewing the content they should have already been tested on. I finally gave the test last Thursday, but instead of grading them on Friday (like I normally would have), I spent my morning going through my enrichment and EOG prep books finding worksheets for the Snow Pack.

The first covers muliplication of fractions (our next subject). The rest were reviews of major content; order of operations, mean/median/mode/range, problem solving strategies, etc.

Finished grading the tests today (at home). As expected, the grades were below average. I'll most likely give the test again to those that wish to improve their grade, but it looks like that will be next week at the earliest. In the meantime, I just hope they actually DO the worksheets and get some productivity during their time off. ;)

36. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

No, we are just now getting the snow ...

37. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

During the blizzards we had right before new years, things closed in the afternoons and some day cares closed. The grocery stores stayed open, but the mall closed. I'd say 90% of the town stayed open.

38. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

Just announced that we're out tomorrow! I'm surprised. Our district always waits until the last minute to announce closings.

39. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2011

We're out today, and the snow is just starting to fall! It's supposed to be heavy all day though, especially this a.m. and early afternoon. Really tough decision to make!

40. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2011

I am very jealous. It isn't supposed to start here until more into the evening. And even then it is only supposed to be a few inches. I bet we have school tomorrow. Maybe a delay at most. Bummer.

41. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

Yay! Our schools are closed today!
    Laundry pile - here I come! :)

Only crummy part of this ... My StuCo students and I have been working after school this week on homecoming dance decorations. We really needed this evening to make some progress! Aw well!