Snow Day(s)- No Problem

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by lucybelle, Jan 18, 2018.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2018

I'm a Southern Belle and our area got hammered with snow. I assume we won't be back in school until Monday at the earliest. But I am not worried about getting behind because my kids are already trained!

Two weeks ago we had two (other) snow days. On the days I was supposed to review for and then give an exam. So instead of pushing it back, and trying to figure everything out, I created a take home version. In the homework text service we send out I told my students to go on their Google Classroom and take the exam over the weekend. Over half of them did! (All my quizzes and exams are Google Quizzes taken on Classroom)

Well we knew this snow was coming so I told my students "make sure you are checking your classroom!" When I saw how much snow we were getting I made up an assignment for them do to over the weekend. What I don't want is to get behind. So I summarized everything that I was going to teach into power points, video links, practice problems and ended it all off with a mini quiz. These assignments are for a completion grade. Students are able to make public comments the whole class can see, and private comments only I can see to ask questions. I've already commented back and forth with a student this morning.

I hope over half my students do the assignment. For those that don't and for those that have questions I will have tutoring during lunch time to make sure everyone is clear on the information.

I'm just loving Google Classroom even more every day. I love technology. And gosh darn it, I'm proud of myself!! *pats self on back for being a problem solver*

MissCeliaB likes this.
  3. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jan 18, 2018

That's wonderful. My students wouldn't do the work, even if I gave it to them. Some of my advanced ones would, but since my school has absolutely no expectations of our students, a lot would probably still not do it. If I tried to hold them accountable, I'd get a phone call-- "You know, they may not have access to the internet away from school, so it's not fair." I wish I could do that--we are so far behind at this point that we are probably going to cancel midterms. I realized yesterday that because of all the snow, we've only had five school days since we got back from Xmas break.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 18, 2018

DH's district has non-traditional days. When they have an NTI day, teachers can work from home or go to school. Kids get their work online. They have 7 schools days to complete the work. Most of DH's kids do it on the day it is assigned. Not all snow days are NTI days. He's had a few days that were regular snow days.

My district didn't qualify for NTI days. I'm assuming it is because not enough of our kids have access to the internet.