Snow day down south

Discussion in 'General Education' started by swansong1, Feb 12, 2010.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2010

I've taught in the deep south since the 1970's. Today is my first EVER snow day in my teaching career! We normally get hurricane days every few years. How nice to have an unexpected 3 day weekend!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 12, 2010

Ours is a four-day weekend. Down south, they all started Mardi Gras break a little early. We have a little more the 2 inches here at my house. I know to all you guys up north, that doesn't sound like a lot, but down here this happens about once every ten years or so.

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 12, 2010

Snow day here too. Nothing falling yet. The announcement stated that we were closed due to incliment weather. We had another snow day back in January and also a flood day back in September. Normally we don't miss here. It was an adjustment for me being from Kentucky where you were you were sure to have several snow days during the winter. This is great though got to start my Mid-Winter break a day early. No school until Feb. 22.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2010

Enjoy it!!!

This is my 3rd one in a row, and I'm the only one home!!!

So far the kitchen and living room are done; I'm stopping by the computer on my way to get a load of laundry.

I love snow days!!!!

And, like you Melissa, I'm off next week!

6. Starista

Starista Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

Enjoy your days!

We have a four day weekend too at my private school ~ today is a pastor's holiday and Monday is Presidents Day!

The kitchen and bathrooms and laundry are calling my names....!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 12, 2010

This is sad. As catastrophic as it is going to be later when we have to make these days up, etc., I wouldn't mind if the snow expected on Monday night does us in for Tuesday. :) I'm terrible. I'm enjoying the break a little too much.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

we have a snow day today, but we don't have to make it up because it was a student holiday/ staff development day! We got 12 inches of snow here! In Texas! It was SO crazy and beautiful! And all the snow men and snow angels. And teh snow was so SOFT and FLUFFY. It's the first time I can remember EVER as a teacher or student that we had a snow day because of actual SNOW. Usually a snow day means there's ice on the road!

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

I agree - dallas looks like the pics we see from up North all the time. It is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything is white as far as you can see. I am 33 and have never seen snow like this.

I took my students out yesterday and we all had a snowball fight. Who knows how long it will be before they see snow like this again.

My own kids are learning quickly that cold snow can hurt. Every so often they run in screaming about hands or feet hurting.......

WE MADE SNOW ICE CREAM LAST NIGHT.
    Very exciting. To me its worth losing a day off when its hot! We get plenty of those!

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 12, 2010

We had snow when we got up this morning but it wasn't on the roads. They were so sure it was going to be bad enough today that the district gave us our checks yesterday.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 12, 2010

We were already out today for spring break, so no snow day. However, we were supposed to stay at school until 8 last night for parent conferences and they did cut that back until 5:30. I was really glad, because by 7:30 this is what my yard looked like:
    [​IMG]

This was my backyard this morning:
    [​IMG]

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Feb 12, 2010

Heard on the radio that Hawaii is the only state with no snow on the ground anywhere today.

13. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

We're having a snow week, and another bad snow storm is supposed to begin on monday.
    Today the state had paid a plumbing company to scrape off our sheet. They woke everyone up at 9 am and made us all move our cars off the road - which is quite difficult when you consider there is only one driveway in this entire stretch of the road. It took them over an hour to do just in front of the last three houses and they had two back hoes scraping along

14. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 12, 2010

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 12, 2010

I'm hearing another storm hits here Monday night too but they are calling it a dusting. Most sites aren't saying anything. One site says probably 1-3 inches but too early to tell. I'm wondering what it the chances are of us going back on Tuesday. Part of me says the roads might be cleared enough by then and we'll consider an inch or two no biggie by now. The other part of me looks at my road and wonders if we'll ever be cleared and 1-3 inches will just make things too dangerous. The other part of me also says 1-3 inches, even if nothing else was on the ground will still qualify. The other part of me wonders why we aren't hearing much about this yet.

They finally came through last night in my neighborhood. I'm not in a hurry but I realize that if my populated area is just now being cleared, it is going to be less so for other more remote areas and there are higher elevations here that I'm sure got hit worse than our 35 inch pile. They came through but we still have a padding of snow. I think we'll be okay for going skiing in the morning but we'll wait and see first. I'd rather pass it up than take a chance of getting stranded out there.

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

We were forcasted to have 1-3" but wound up with 11.7" in one day - in DALLAS??????????????

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 12, 2010

That's huge! I didn't realize you got quite that much?

The last storm was predicted for 5-6, then 12-14 and finally 20-30! It will be interesting to see if it changes.

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

incredible- that is about all I can say about that!

19. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

OUr schools were dismissed early today for the third time this winter because of snow - unusual for this north Georgia area. We also had one day when school was cancelled. We're on mid-winter break next week, then have spring break in mid April. I love it!

20. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 12, 2010

We had snow in IN early this past week, but it is off the roads for now. We have off Monday, and they are predicting more snow then. My sister lives in DFW area and sent me a text this a.m. that they had a 12 inches of snow - I had to get my glasses out because I thought it was 1.2, not 12!!! :eek:

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

yeah it is beautiful, but I can't say I envy ya'll in the North now. I couldn't imagine having this all the time.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2010

The difference is that, up here, we have the ability to deal with it.

From midnight Tuesday till midnight Wednesday we got about a foot of snow. Just about every school here (except mine :) ) opened on Friday. They needed one day to plow it all out, and were good to go. In fact, the roads were clear by about 10 am on Thursday, so all those districts that had a 2 hour delay were on the mark.

We have snow plows and salters and sanders at the ready. Everyone owns a collection of snow shovels, and many people have snow blowers. Every car has a snow scraper, and people tend to know how to drive in the snow. It was so funny Tuesday night: every single car driveway on my block had a car parked at its very end, so there would be less to shovel to get to the street.

So it's part of the normal pattern of life here.

23. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Alice - you guys are so wise!! Next snowstorm, I am making the high schoolers in my house (who don't have the privilege of parking in the garage) park at the end of the drive - or line up so one car width will be easier at least!

We can deal w/ it in IN, but some of our county roads don't get cleared quickly at all. A foot of snow would take us longer to dig out from, but we don't usually get that much here in the southern part of the state.

24. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 13, 2010

We ended up with 6" of snow here. Back home in Kentucky it wouldn't have been anything major. Here it has shut everything down. Nothing is moving. GDOT is requesting that everyone stay in.

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2010

But it was so pretty today. The sun was shining on the snow--it was the kind that stuck to tree limbs. It sparkled!

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 14, 2010

We are expecting 2-6 in of snow tmw. Normally that would be enough to shut things down for the next day but after getting 3-4 ft in the last week, I'm not so sure. Also Tuesday we are expecting winds from 15mph to 35mph. I also know we get kids from other counties so we have to consider that as well. They've opened up sports and I know schools are anxious to get back in business so I do not know what they are going to do after this snow day. I wish I would have changed my doctor's appt out of town to the morning tmw instead of the afternoon for saftey reasons but I didn't think about it ahead of time.

27. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 14, 2010

They are forecasting 6-9 inches between tonight and tomorrow night - light snow today, roads are still clear, but probably won't go anywhere tomorrow or Tuesday if we get even 6 inches.

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

We might get more snow in a couple of weeks here in Texas.

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2010

Yep...and it's awfully hard to finish lesson plans when there's a good chance we'll be closed tomorrow...

It's funny for me because I am originally from WI, so to see how 4-6 inches of snow can shut everything down for a few days is incredible. I understand that the back roads get really bad, but in WI we just drive on them. Some country roads there are covered with snow and ice all year; part of life is knowing how to drive on them.

30. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 14, 2010

Apparently, it is a life skill in 49 of our 50 states, too!

31. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Snow day for me today. No parent-teacher conferences today.

32. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2010

Ironically, today was supposed to be a snow make-up day. Not anymore!

33. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Feb 15, 2010

Its a work day for us. We are expected to show up regardless of the weather. Its a cold rain right now. Snow forecasted for later as the temps drop.

We have had two early dismissals because snow came earlier than expected. Who knows what today will bring.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

They're saying 3-5" for us tonight.

35. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 15, 2010

We have about 4-5 new snow - it's beautiful...but I don't want to make up days during Spring Break - and I am fairly certain we will not go tomorrow. Oh well, I can finally get my Christmas closet organized, make some cards, and of course - grade papers!

36. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Well, I have another snow day tomorrow. :(

37. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 15, 2010

Me too.

38. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2010

Me three...

39. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Feb 16, 2010

I'm jeaslous :p

We got snow back in December, but it wasn't much. Maybe an inch or so. My kids' school let out early and we all got to play in what stuck to the ground. I have yet to see the kind of snow that you all are talking about. Maybe I should travel up north soon :D. When we got snow last December, it fell in the evening and it stuck. It was gorgeous, even though it wasn't much. We still got to make snowmen!

Here in Houston we get more hurricane days than anything. I'll never forget the one in 2008! We were all out for 2 weeks following hurricane IKE. Some schools couldn't open even after 2 weeks because power hadn't been restored. My power at home was out for 18 days. :eek:hmy: