Snow Day, Anyone??

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Amanda, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2002

I just finished Snow Day #2, and prepare for the third tomorrow (Friday)! That's 3 snow days and it's not even Christmas yet!

We awoke Tuesday morning with rumors of snow on its way. Here in SW Missouri, the weather forecast usually changes from hour to hour, so we thought nothing of it. I told the kids the weather forecasters thought it might snow 1-3 inches overnight and possibly a few more the next day. Not much excitement... I guess they didn't realize that we miss school when it snows too much. I figured we wouldn't have school on Wednesday, but thought for sure we'd be back by Thursday... But no, it started sleeting/icing Tuesday night around 5:30 then the snow hit and basically didn't stop until Wednesday night. 9 inches of snow later, here we are!

This probably sounds familiar to those of you who got a taste of this storm after us. I just wish I could have planned ahead for these 3 days off! :D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 6, 2002

yup..here in ny we got by with closing early on thrusday! I woke up at 6:30 with no snow....but every district around us already closed....becasue it was coming! So off to school I go...but as i walk in the door our sec was printing out the WE WILL BE CLOSING AT 11:15 TODAY signs! and today was a pre schedualed half day..what a crazy week!

4. Margo

Margo Devotee

Dec 6, 2002

I miss teaching up North where we would get snow days. Here in Florida, we only ever get hurricane days (and not even them very often ((thankfully)). I remember the anticipation of snow forecasts and the watching and waiting to see if it would come and how much. And then I would wait for the phone call from our secretary telling me to go back to bed. What jubilation that was.

I hope you have several snow days built into your calendar, Amanda, so you don't have to look "forward" to those wonderful make up days. Enjoy your unexpected long weekend.

5. Amanda

Dec 6, 2002

I love those early dismissal days. They are exciting, plus you get credit for a whole day that you don't have to make up :D

We won't be having MLK, Jr. day or Presidents' Day off now which will make for a L-O-N-G January-February, but we'll probably get more snow days then if this trend keeps up. It may be June before we get out of school this year.

We really don't get a lot of snow here... It's been a while since it was this early, and I can't believe it was 9 inches. That's in the top 5 that I can remember.

Enjoy the warm weather, Margo. :)

6. Amanda

Dec 6, 2002

I had heard about the power outages, but didn't realize how bad it was until I read this:
    http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,72333,00.html

So a lot of our friends are having "ice days" and can't even pass the time with the Internet! (Of course lights and heat would be nice, too...) Many aren't expected to get electricity restored until next week!

:(

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 6, 2002

weather

MARGO gotta get the sweaters out. tomorrow may be cold! Florida is totally short sleeving it tonight, but its getting nippy in the air!
    I hear you Margo regarding hurricane days. I was here for Hurricane andrew. Hit TWO weeks before school started. Also had a storm two and a half years ago that they sent us home from the teacher workday when the winds picked up to a category 3 storm. I wonder if the teachers like Amanda and such can answer me this.... Seriously, when you have snow, doesnt your room get trashy from the wetness? I would hate the footprints and puddles all over. AHHH! My students know that below 60 I am not happy.:0) stay warm friends.

8. Amanda

Dec 6, 2002

mommaruthie,

I'm curious to know what nippy is for florida. :D I saw those 70-80 highs in florida this week and was jealous! At this time of the year 50 degree days are considered nice for us. Funny thing is, Monday was in the 60s. Tuesday evening the ice/snow hit. Last night our low was 2. (No, I didn't leave out a digit.. it's just two!) It doesn't get much colder than this here. The snow is acting like a big air conditioner, but warmer temps are on their way tomorrow. Get ready for the mud. That's our main concern for the mess. Snow usually only stays on the ground for a couple of days here, so we either aren't in school or don't go outside when it snows. By Monday it will all be gone so we won't have to worry. :) If there is mud the kids just stay on the pavement and the wood chips. Any yuck gets tracked in on the mats and down our long hallways. It usually doesn't make it to the room.

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 7, 2002

ignorant to added responsibilities

i am just so curious as to how your weather effects your job. what kind of changes to your routine or what adaptations do you make. Seriously, do you have to shovel snow at work? Do you play in doors if its too cold outside? maybe i should make this a post. Remember ladies, i am a full blooded Floridian and saw snow ONCE (in scotland at the age of 23) Again I will tell you my body cant stand temperature lower then 60. Our Florida Winters is all I can handle. 2 degrees is unfathomable to me. I want to have snow delivered to our school for a winter wonderland. (prices are like 600 so i cant do it- want to send some to us?) Maybe we could have everyone send us some snow in a ziplock bag and we could look at the melt under microscopes. Hey, we live one mile and my school is one block from the everglades. Maybe i can send you some water from there.?HMMMMM stay warm. I am going today for the last Miami Hurricanes Game, outdoors, and I am going to be wearing jeans but taking a sweatshirt with!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 7, 2002

ohhhh you are so lucky to be in FL! The snow is fun in the begning...the kids love it ( teach first grade) but sometimes they get sooo excited that I have to close the blinds..or else all they want to do is look out the window!
    As for slushy classroom floors, we meet as a school in the caf. (out side when its warm..umm that wont be till march maybe!) for school wide pledge and morning prayer (catholic school) so by the time they get to the room, they have either dried off or already changed out of their boots!
    The only thing that stinks is they have to stay in for recess...after a few days of inside recess they become stir crazy...i try to at least get them out for a few min..but we are not allowed to be outside if its below 32...i think its state law!
    What else does the snow do? Well...we dont have to slovle...we have plows that come, but cleaning off cars in the AM is always an adventure! I remember student teaching, and getting stuck in a snow drift in the drive way (my landlord did a bad job of plowing!) and so my friends and I were out there in skirts and dress shoes with the shovle. trying to get out !! ohhhh that was fun!
    this is a fun discussion.Being in NY I guess I tend to forget that some people have warm winterS!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 7, 2002

Well, I am a transplanted New Yorker (27 years ago) now in south Florida and the older I get, the less I can tolerate this HEAT! Hate it. And the air doesn't work right in my room ... and kids walk through my room to get to the playground so the door opens and closes all day....... argggghhhhhh.

Amanda, nippy is when nights fall below 55 degrees. Daytime feels nippy when it is cooler than 70. Seriously. I know it is hard to believe. We get maybe three or four truly chilly mornings a winter. But then we always have kids whose parents can't figure out that a cold front has come through. They show up on the rare mornings when it really is nippy (45 say) in t-shirts and shorts.

My computer is down for a while folks which is why you haven't heard my two cents worth for a while. Hope to get it fixed soon.

12. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Dec 7, 2002

I'm in MD and just had 2 snow days- I'm nervous because if we get 2 more (which of course we will, in Jan, Feb, or March), we will not let out of school until June 24th!! That is all the snow days we have built into our schedule, and they never take holidays from us (MLK Jr day, etc.). I'm picturing our journal prompts... "Okay, boys and girls, this morning I would like you to write about the fireworks you saw last night...".

It seems like between the sniper and the cold weather, we have had outdoor recess less than 5 times since September. Some teachers mind, but my team doesn't- we get so much work done in the room instead of standing around outside freezing and yellling for people to move away from the swings! The kjds don't even complain anymore. I let them watch cartoons, read, draw, and talk- it's great for them at this age because they are getting so peer focused and they are starting to just hang out on the playground and talk anyway instead of playing on the equipment.
    I'm used to the little ones who have lots of energy that I have to find a way to release indoors.

It sure was fun to go Xmas shopping and decorate for Xmas in a snow-filled 4 day weekend, though! After I get offline, I'm going to tackle the project I have been putting off- hanging outdoor lights. It seems like it's going to be awhile before the snow melts (6 inches), so I'd better get my boots off! We haven't had a good snow around Christmas time in years, so I better enjoy it! Happy holidays, all!

13. Margo

Margo Devotee

Dec 7, 2002

The thing I remember the most and miss the least about teaching up North is the need to help button coats, zip zippers, try to get gloves on, find lost mittens, etc. (I taught preschool and first grade - now kindergarten). By the time everyone was bundled up, recess was just about over. I am so glad in FL we don't have to worry about that sort of thing. I know what Upsadaisy means by parents not dressing kids appropriately for weather even here. On Friday when we had that cold front come through down here, the highs of the day was first thing in the morning (about 65, i think) By the time the kids left for school, temperatures were at about 50 and kids had come in shorts. Even I was freezing at car riders for dismissal. What a dreary day that was.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 7, 2002

Well, we FINALLY have power again here in SC! I recently moved to SC from ME and so thought any snow down here would be NO problem. (Which I still think is true) However, I woke up Wednesday to school being cancelled EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS NOTHING going on. I shook my head at the "crazy south" until around 11:30 when the ice came. Three days later (with no school, power, or heat) was enough for me! Finally we got our heat back on, but it took a while longer for the internet! :) I hope everyone is doing okay. I am anxious about only having 2 weeks left until Christmas vacation (with grades closing the last day) and having, count them, SIX field trips! Ahhhhh!!

Good luck to everyone! :)

15. CeCe

CeCe Companion

Dec 8, 2002

I'm with you, Upsadaisy, on the Florida heat! I moved to Washington state last December, after having lived in Florida for over 16 years. I don't miss the heat, humidity, & mosquitos of Florida at all. Yes, we DO have LOTS of rain here & I had to get used to that, but there's nothing more awesome than summer & fall here. The weather has been positively gorgeous for the last 6 months! Alas, all good things must come to an end though and we're just beginning our rainy winter season. Wintertime recess here is spent in the "Rainy Day Room" or under the shelter house on the playground.