Sneakers for walking or running

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Chrissteeena, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 12, 2011

Advice needed.

I'm looking into buying a good pair of walking sneakers. I've never bought sneakers from any store other than payless and they have always been the clearance $10/$15 pairs. The two pairs that I bought 5-6 years ago, have begun to literally fall apart. Since I've started doing a lot of walking (hoping to go to jogging/running eventually) I'm thinking I should invest in a good pair of sneakers (as of now my walking is done in sandals and it really hurts my feet!). I don't want to get a sneaker that is extremely expensive; maybe up to $80 would be good.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 12, 2011

4. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Mar 12, 2011

Really the best way to find the shoes that are right for you is to go out there and try some on! There are a gazillion types of shoes and brands out there. I personally like Nike shox and they make tons of different kinds and NONE of them are the same. I swear the last pair I bought it took me literally 10 different shoes to get the right one and we are talking same manufacturer and brand! Get out to a store and put some good quality shoes on your feet. You'll know whats right for you as soon as you put them on :)

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2011

Agreed; you need to try them on. Hit a Lady Footlocker if there's one in your area. I favor Ryka walking shoes because they're made just for women, and they tend to be a little narrower in the heel but have plenty of room in the toe box.

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 12, 2011

I agree that Ryka is good-and a good value because they don't advertise much!! I don't like Nike corp., but do also wear their walking shoes. They fit me well and seem to be narrower than some. My mom loves New Balance-I can't wear them. Good luck. I think a good shoe is important, and I usually pay less than $60 for mine.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 12, 2011

I also wear Ryka and I love them.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 12, 2011

Thanks for the advice. I'll be making a trip to the mall, probably this weekend, to try some different pairs of sneakers on.

9. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 12, 2011

I do all types of fitness related activities and only wear Nike Shox, but everyone's foot is different and what's great for 1 person, is horrible for another. I'd go to a quality running store and talk to a knowledgeable person there, then find the same shoes somewhere else cheaper!

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2011

I usually find good prices on sneakers and Kohls or some of the other dept stores. I wouldn't go to Foot Locker if you are looking for a deal - I think they are overpriced because they always sell the newest brands.

If you are walking though, definitely get walking sneakers. I always bought running ones because for some reason the walking ones are always ugly. I finally found a pair that were okay though, and they made a big difference.

11. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 12, 2011

I forgot about Kohl's. I try really hard not to buy anything from them, unless someone gives me a gift card to the store. I worked there from 2005-2006 and about a month after I started, I ended up with a Kohl's charge card in the mail…..I never signed up for a Kohl's charge…. it turned out the my boss (the assistant manager) decided to sign me up herself to make quota for charge cards. I was not a happy person after that…. and they knew it!!!!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 13, 2011

I personally never shop at Payless because I'm the type to buy good quality things on sale than stuff that's cheap to begin with. And shoes especially are one of those things that I think it's worth paying good money for.

New Balance is a good sneaker brand. I have a pair of those. If you're into the Skechers Shape-Ups, I have some of those too. My mom has the Reebok Easy Tones & likes them & I have some of those in the thongs.

13. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Mar 13, 2011

I have the Reebok Easy Tones in the tennis shoes and flip flops and I love them. If you find that you like them and once you figure out the size you need, you can often find them cheaper on amazon.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2011

I have Sketchers for walking...use them every day.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2011

I could live without shoes period, but my husband is obsessed with proper shoes for exercise. There is a small shoe store operated by a local runner—this place has received multiple national awards—that my husband loves. The owner helps you determine the best shoe for your foot, your way of walking, and so forth. He refuses to carry Nike, if that means anything, and my husband has a great relationship with Brooks. :)

My advice, actually coming from my husband, is to visit a similar store that specializes not just in shoes, but running.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2011

Jem~I've been wanting to check those out. Do you like them?

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2011

http://www.payless.com/store/catalog/category.jsp?catId=cat10377

Payless carries some VERY well known designers...granted, these are NOT workout shoes.

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 13, 2011

I have Sketchers and they are nice. Www.6pm.com sometimes has great sales. Can get shoes if you know your size and what you like.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 13, 2011

I bought a pair of the Sketchers Shape-Ups last year and they are my favorite shoes ever! They are super comfortable when I'm walking or just standing. I'm actually getting ready to buy a new pair that is a little more dressier so I can wear them to school more often.

20. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Mar 13, 2011

If you're walking, trying on a pair at a fitness/dept store will probably work just fine. However, if you do start running, you may want to seriously consider going to a running specialty store in order to get fitted. When I started running I was getting knee pain and shin splints. My husband told me to go get fitted for running shoes, and my problems were solved. Now I can tell when my shoes are getting old because my knees start hurting.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 13, 2011

I've got a few cool pairs of Pumas for walking and exercising. Love 'em!

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 14, 2011

Just had to share: I nabbed a pair of shape-ups last night for $47.07 from JCPenny. They are on sale, free shipping, and I had an extra 20% coupon!

23. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 14, 2011

I am not sure of the price but I have heard wonders about New Balance shoes. I have a buddy that swears by them and it is the only athletic shoe he wears.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

Yes, I love them. But then I'm not super picky about my shoes-dh chose them for me on Zappos (he use to word at a running shoe store) and they came and I tried them on and they fit great and felt great so I kept them. Now my larger chunky shoes feel TOO chunky-I've gotten spoiled. I would say they are great for people who don't like to feel like they are wearing shoes. Like me.

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

I loved my Shape-ups, but after a few months I started to get sharp pains up my leg into my back. I stopped wearing them and the pain went away. I had to give the shoes away.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2011

I'm going to check them out! Thanks!

27. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Mar 14, 2011

I would def. recommend going to a store that specializes. I go to the Running Room - they specialize in running shoes and walking shoes in seperate parts of their store. I wouldn't dream of using any other store as they help me get shoes that match my stride and pronation.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

I have a pair of light weight Nike's which I love. I found them at a Nike outlet on sale for $24