Snake in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth Maschmeier, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Beth Maschmeier

Beth Maschmeier New Member

Jul 18, 2018

Hi,
    I am getting a grass snake for my classroom. How do you handle weekends and holidays with a snake? Does anyone transport it home every weekend or take them to and from school daily? Is having a home and school habitat too stressful for them?
    Thanks

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 18, 2018

I've kept a wide variety of small animals in my classroom for many years. Whether it be silkworms, antlions, walking sticks, tarantulas, hamsters, fish, lizards or snakes they all require regular care and feeding which often lands on the teacher's lap. Snakes by nature - especially garter snakes - are extremely wary and sensitive to movement and vibrations. While some may become accustomed to being handled, IMO they don't make the best choice for a classroom animal due to all the usual commotion. If you want to introduce your students to snakes or other skittish animals, I would suggest just keeping them in the classroom for a few days. This way, if it refrains from eating or drinking for any length of time, it won't die from starvation and students will still be able to learn a lot about the animal with your guidance. As with any small animal, students should be directed not to bump, tap or shake the table or cage which they are prone to do to get the creature to move!

Here's a photo of a beautiful California king snake that I captured outside the doorway to a classroom. It was kept just for a couple of days as a centerpiece for some impromptu science lessons before it was released in my front yard. Let me know if you would like some suggestions for low maintenance animals.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Beth Maschmeier likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2018

I've had guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits in the classroom. Either I brought them home on weekends and summers or responsible students did.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 18, 2018

One of my colleagues has two snakes in her classroom. They stay in their terrarium over weekends and summers. During the summer someone stops by to take care of them, maybe weekly? Their feeding schedule seems to be such that they don't need to be fed on the weekends. They seem quite low maintenance.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 19, 2018

This post literally makes my skin crawl! Although I know they are a necessary part of the ecosystem, and I have, on occasion,, held a snake, there is just something about them that I can't get past. I know it has something to do with the way they move. I found a big pine snake in my garage the other day, and it is still freaking me out. Needless to say, no snake in my classroom!

7. Beth Maschmeier

Beth Maschmeier New Member

Jul 19, 2018

Thanks for the replies! gorgeous king snake.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 20, 2018

Me too!

9. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 20, 2018

Really cool snake...but I totally couldn't release it in my front yard! My husband would never leave the house if he knew it was out there. :p