Snail mail or email thank you note to principal?!?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Birdie86, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

I just had an interview that I think went well! There are a few things I left out that I really want the p to know. Would it be okay to email my thank you letter rather than mail it? That way she can see it quickly rather than in a few days and over the weekend when it won't get seen! I had an interview with this same p last mo for a different grade level and I mailed her a thank you card. But I REALLY want this job and if they are making a quick decision I don't want it to be too late that I share my thanks and some additional info!

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 2, 2015

Principals can get literally 100s of e-mails a day. Many Ps hate e-mail because of this. I would go snail mail.

4. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 2, 2015

I think you should email it so they can get it quickly as possible. For my teaching jobs I literally already had the email ready on my phone and sent it as soon as I was about 5 minutes away from the school. All you need to do is just have a specific subject like "Thank You for the Interview - Insert Name" They usually will reply back with a thank you.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 2, 2015

Maybe drop off the snail mail at the school with the secretary (or whoever is there) to give to the principal.
    That way, it's quick & they'll get it right away AND it's not an email :)

6. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

School office is closed they were only open today for interviews and the office people weren't even there :/

7. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

By the way do you type your letter or hand write? Maybe I can pay for next day snail mail, but still no one is in the office!

8. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Okay too late I just emailed my thank you letter! Taking a risk here and hoping it doesn't hurt me! It just wouldn't rest with me all day/etc. if I didn't get it out there in time. This way I know she will at least get it and see it today. Should I still mail a more brief thank you card?

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2015

I think you made the right choice. At both of my schools that I've been on the interview committee for, we make the decision on the same day as interviews. We're often just waiting to get a hold of references to make sure our final decision is correct before notifying candidates. By the time a snail mail letter would get there, the decision would have been made days ago.

10. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

This makes me feel better about my decision! I told them I'm currently teaching a summer program, however, my school is off this week (they don't know that) so I honestly don't know if they could get ahold of my current supervisor, because they have to contact him/her before I can be offered a position. That's this district's policy that I interviewed for. If they choose me, i'd hope not being able to get in touch with them right away wouldn't hurt them offering it to me!

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 3, 2015

I have always emailed within 24 hours and snail mailed out a thank you note (sometimes with an attachment paper that has something to do with what I might have talked about at the interview/sells me as an educator) the next day.

I went on one interview where I saw that the P printed out my thank you email and had my mailed note in my file. :)

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 4, 2015

Snail mail, no question. It looks more professional. It also takes more time so that looks good to.