Snacks????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 5, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2008

I keep seeing posts about students having snacks in the classroom - generally the posts are complaining about the quality of the snacks being brought by the kids. Honestly, in the schools in which I have subbed or student taught, only k & 1st grade were allowed any kind of snack on a regular basis. Students in other grades (k-5) could bring cupcakes for a birthday mini-party (cannot interfere with instructional time at all - usually done at recess), but as far as I know, no other munchies are allowed! I was worried because I got freeze-pops for my 1st graders when the weather turned hot (they only got them at recess).

I have seen completely junk-i-fied lunches brought from home. If they are lucky, the student has a Lunchable. I have seen students with nothing but chips & candy or Twinkies, etc. When given the choice between the kind of lunch I just described and the cafeteria food - believe it or not, the school food is healthier!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Some years I do snacks, and some I don't.

The year school started at 7:45 and our lunch was at 12:10, we did snack. Last year school started at 8:00 and lunch was
    11:45 and we didn't do snacks.

I teach fourth graders and kind of take my cue from the kids. The first several days I bring in snacks for the whole class - a nice ice breaker, plus in the summer most of us eat whenever we feel like it so we get hungry more often. After that, I kind of wait to see how the kids react - if several complain of being hungry in the morning, I schedule a snacktime.

The years I do snacks I insist they are healthy and not too messy. Usually, there are only a handful of kids who always bring a snack.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

I have always had a snack time. It is totally optional- those who want to bring something can. Like Missy- it has to be healthyish (lol) and not messy.

Most of my kids bring back their fruit from lunch. The kids here have to be given a piece of fruit at lunch, and most throw it away. Not my kids. It also makes their math work go a little bit quicker (they always get to eat while they work on their math).

5. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

It surprised me when I started working where I am now to find out that all of the students get snack time from PreK thru grade 8! Just this last year a new wellness policy was enacted stating that the snack needed to be healthy in nature and that no birthday treats would be allowed unless it was a healthy snack (no cookies, cupcakes, brownies...). Well, it hasn't been enforced very well. By the end of the year, I saw lots of doughnuts and cupcakes floating around the building!

6. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 5, 2008

I have a snacktime. Our school provides breakfast (free to the kids) to every kid in the school. It's always one of those breakfast breaks boxes which includes cereal, a juice, and a snack of some sort (animal crackers, goldfish, or those big goldfish crackers). The school also provides a milk. They save the snack for snacktime.

7. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

Our school also does the breakfast for all students. Also the breakfast break boxes. As for snack, it use to depend on when lunch is. If it was later in the day I have done snack time, however if lunch was earlier in the day we didn't. We have all new rules about snacks and parties now though. We can't have them until ALL lunches are over, which is about 1:30ish.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2008

We are part of a Healthy Schools initiative so we have a bin of fresh fruit in our classrooms for students to choose from during the day. Next week, the program will change somewhat to also include fresh cut-up veggies a couple of days a week.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

Wow. At my school we don't have snack. Period. Breakfast for my class was at 7:30 and lunch wasn't until 12:10. We are not allowed to give out candy or gum as prizes. We are not allowed to have parents bring ANY food product for a party or otherwise. No candy bags at Halloween or Christmas. No food-related lessons, either. For the 20 minute 'parties' about three times a year, snacks are provided by the cafeteria and consist of orange sherbet, a granola or cereal bar, and those juices in the peel-back foil containers. ONCE they gave us cookies. Probably had baked carrots and broccoli into them somehow. It's ridiculous.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

We don't have snack time for any grade except 4th grade. Why 4th, you may ask? Well somebody has to eat lunch last, and those poor darlin's don't eat until 1pm! (School is out at 3:30pm!) The smell of food from the cafeteria starts wafting up to their classrooms at about 11am!

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 5, 2008

Because we eat lunch so late, 12:40, I allow snack. I let them and their parents know up front what that snack can be. Fresh fruit/veggies (if it is an orange I tell them to peel/cut it before hand, they only have 10min), granola/cereal bars, half of sandwich, fruit cups, certain types of dry cereal, and crackers. No candy, soda, cookies, chips, cakes, and nothing that requires longer than 10min to eat. I tell my students it's a snack to a picnic. If it interferes with them completing their assignments, they lose snack privileges. On certain days I may take a snack for the whole class(testing days etc), but I let them know whether or not they bring a snack is totally up to them. I also don't like for them to share snacks (germs). I keep lots of granola bars on hand for those who miss breakfast and don't have a snack.

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 5, 2008

All the schools in my area get a snack k-5th grade eat theirs either at rescess or the last 15 mins of P.E. depending on the school. The middle school gets theirs at their "break" time usually about 15-20min time frame to sit in the hall or on the benches outside to chat and eat snack no playing on the playground like elem. (they don't have playgrounds @ the middle schools). The highschool kids (we have 2 highschools)get a break in the morning to eat a snack/ have club meeting/make up tests, walk around with friends , go to lockers, go to cars to get something, they can also go to the lunchroom and buy a breakfast that the school provides. I belive this time is about 30-35mins. for them. Its not nearly enough time tho for them to walk in the lunchroom line to get a breakfast. The elem. and middle schools provide breakfast before school starts for them to eat breakfast its from like 7:30-8am. They will let them sit and eat after 8am if they have an excused note from a parent or if the bus was late! The HS like I said can eat at break!

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 5, 2008

I was subbing in a 4th grade class this past year and 2 students had a bday! One was that day a friday and one was on the weekend and so the kids celebrated on Friday. Welll both parents brought something one was cupcakes and the other was doughnuts. The parents wanted to celebrate w/ their child and the class so they bought em' get this right like not long before lunch! I was like you know they are about to have lunch. I wanted to save them for after lunch but we couldn't do it and work since they make a mess all over there schoolwork and plus the parents wanted to take the leftover food home. All 3 (mom and dad of one and mom of the other) had to do it at their lunch break since they had to be back at their job! Needless to say the kids ate very little at lunch.

14. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 5, 2008

Any kind of Bday celebration must be done during lunch at my school. If we do have a class celebration it must be done after lunch.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

This is why I love our school policy -- all birthdays MUST be celebrated at the student's lunch time and IN THE CAFETERIA. No exceptions. I'd get in major trouble if I didn't follow the policy.

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

We always allowed the kids to eat during the day (K-8 school). In my class, the rule was that they don't get up and disturb teaching to get a snack--wait for a good time when you won't disturb anyone and this includes leaving for washroom or drink. As far as the snacks being healthy, I wholeheartedly agree that they should be healthy and we had healthy snack bins in each class, but beyond that I believe it's overstepping to try to dictate to parents what they can and can't give their kids (except for the obvious case of disallowing food due to allergies). We can teach what is healthy and why they should choose so, but I would never tell a kid they can't eat something that comes from home unless it's a danger to someone else such as peanut butter for example.

17. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I have always done snack with my kids. It usually is a snack that is the same for all children. Animal crackers, goldfish, pretzels and the like. I have been lucky that my parents of the students donate a lot of the snacks. We usually eat outside and then they can go play.

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I do a snack every day, sometimes TWICE. I just think kids learn better when they are not hungry and their brains are FED! I don't see it as a waste of time, if the kids are feeling satisfied and better able to learn, then why not?

I would rather that than cranky, hungry kids zoning out during lessons. I find most of the time my students at this school bring healthier snacks. They mostly eat better food than I do! I've seen kids bring in everything from sushi to tea sandwiches!!

I do a snack during recess (they know they can eat it indoors or out, but not after recess has ended) and then they can snack during the afternoon read aloud as well.

They snack at 10:30, eat lunch at 12:00 and snack again at 1:45! We eat a lot I guess.

On birthdays the kids bring in ingredients and cook a treat. I usually have the do the cooking during recess and they pick two friends to work with. The kids would always rather cook than do recess, and I would rather they cook during recess than during class, so it works for all of us. The TA usually cooks with them, because I don't like doing it all that much, and she is there to watch the oven over the lunch hour while I am not.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

Wow-all I can think is 'are these schools crazy??'. I use so much food in my classroom. We cook Day of the Dead Bread for Dias de los Muertos and study fractions at the same time. I had parents cook food for a HUGE Thanksgiving feast (two turkeys and 21 pies) so we could compare and contrast native food to our modern food. We hosted an International Festival for exchange students from the high school, and all the students brought in family dishes with reports on why the recipes are special to them. We're going to do a Friday Cafe this year with hot chocolate and tea sandwiches while we discuss books. Food is such a culturally bonding experience. These threads with schools that ban food and regulate it to a strict, and often times harsh, cafeteria setting are blowing my mind. Viva la food!

Miss Froggy, I love the idea of having students cook on their birthday-excellent!

20. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

We all do snacks, K-5 in my school. I think it's important. The brain needs to be nourished. My kids eat lunch about 3 1/2 hours after school starts, so, realistically, 4-4 1/2 hours after they have (hopefully) eaten breakfast. Their little bodies need the energy boost!
    And, I only allow finger food, healthy snacks-something that can be eaten while we work without making too much of a mess. Once had a kid spill a gogurt in a textbook and not tell me-that was the end of anything lilke that!!! My room stank, we had to pitch the book...:woot:

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2008

At the elementary level, I know of NO classrooms with stoves. Some of the kindergarten teachers I know have toaster ovens, plus the obligatory (here at least) microwave & fridge, and they use the TOs to bake cookies for their kiddos. The youngest classroom I have ever seen with any real kind of kitchen was middle school - either the 'Home Ec" (showing my age) for 7th or 8th graders or the "Life Skills" class for SpEd.

I can see where it would be a HUGE learning tool, but it's just not done here, and the classrooms are not equipped for it. The fire marshal gets cranky if we hang anything from the ceiling - I can just imagine the reaction to a working stove!

And here, I'm again showing my inexperience, but I can't figure out how you have time to cook and still "cover" (to use a bad word according to Mr. Wong) the amount of material required!

Re: the snacks. Personally, I don't have anything against snacks (as long as they are healthy & a huge mess isn't made). My 3rd graders never even acted hungry except at lunch time! My first graders did a little bit, but we had a "treat bucket" that everyone eventually got to visit (hopefully) during the day, and I would let them eat the treat when they earned it (again, sans mess).