Snacks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 16, 2007.

1. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

We have snack about 10:00 (we start school at 8:40). Students are asked to bring a healthy snack. If they don't have a snack, they can take 10 "emergency" pretzels I provide (cheap and filling). During this 5-10 minute break they can eat, sharpen pencils and use the bathroom (located in our room). It provides a mini-break for students to refresh themselves and tides them over until their 11:40 lunchtime.

2. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

Sounds fine to me. I don't bother sending one out because we have so many ants in the classroom that I don't want the food stored in there all night.

They just bring an extra snack in their lunchboxes.

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

Kids in my class are seated by 7:45, and eat lunch at 12:30. The type of snack they eat is healthy. No junk food is allowed. I don't have one obese child in the classroom. Letting them eat an apple and getting them to understand what appropriate snacks are is only beneficial to me and to them.

4. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 28, 2007

We used to have snack every day, until about 5 years ago (kindergarten). We stopped doing it because our lunch schedule changed, and the kids were just throwing the snacks parents bought in the trash. We decided to quit throwing away hard earned money!

5. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

We have "snack mix" every mid morning. I ask parents to bring in pretzels, crackers, dry healthy cereal, popped popcorn, etc., basically, dry snack food that can be stored in a plastic container. I mix it all together and I dish it out in little cups so everyone gets an individual serving. This usually works really well and everyone gets a snack. If we're running low, I send out reminders to the parents.

6. firstgradeinak

firstgradeinak New Member

Aug 29, 2007

When kids don't bring a snack....

Hi, everyone!

I am currently working in a Title 1 school, so many of my students are from low-income families. We get to school at about 8:30, and lunch is not until 11:40. The kids really get hungry about 10:00. I've sent notes to the parents saying that it would be great if kids would bring a snack for the morning. Most kids who pack a lunch bring a snack. The rest of my class (at least 12) I am assuming get a free lunch, so bring nothing to school. They whine and complain all morning about being hungry. I'm not sure what some of them are eating for breakfast (even though my school participates in the free breakfast for low-income families program).

I really can't afford to supply snacks for 12 kids a day,5 days a week. Plus, I've done that before, and then the other 8 kids figure out you're giving out a free snack every day, so they don't worry if they forget theirs, too. I am torn because I'm sure most of them are really hungry, but I am not rich! What would you do in this situation? The stores/businesses around here are not good at giving away freebies or donations to schools.

Thanks!

7. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

I haven't done this, but my son's Kinder teacher did. At the beginning of the year every parent contributed $15 and the teacher bought the snacks for the year out of it. I don't think there is anything wrong with your request... just offering another suggestion. :)

I have fruit and healthy snacks in a bowl in my class. They are welcome to it at any time throughout the day as long as they clean up after themselves, sitting at their desk, not while I'm instructing and that they EAT what they've taken. I also keep soups and quick lunch things as I know there's kids that either don't have anything to eat for one reason or another. There is just no learning if you are hungry. I'm pretty liberal, however no JUNK food eaten, healthy food only, and only until there is a problem with it.