Snacks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Do you have snack time for your kids? I was in a 3rd grade class this past semester that had snack time. I don't remember ever having snack time except in preschool. What do ya'll do?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I teach high school, so we don't do snacks although I wish we did. Sometimes the kids get so cranky in the late morning, and I'm certain that it's because they haven't eaten in hours.

When I was in elementary school, we did have snack through the third grade.

4. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

We have a snack around 9:45 or 10:00. The kids have lunch at 11:30 (primary) or 12:00 (intermediate). My stomach is always growling by 10:00. I eat a snack with them.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I teach fifth grade, and we do have snack in the afternoon around 1:45-2:00. We have the earliest lunch (11.00), and the kids who need to eat will eat then. Not every child brings a snack, but most bring back their fruit from lunch to eat.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I teach 4th, and we don't do snack time. I remember in school having snack all the way through. Even in high school, we got a ten minute nutrition break between 2nd and 3rd periods. (NOt everyone ate of course, but food was for sale during that time, and a lot of people brought a snack from home. I think at my current school now most of the teachers through about 2nd grade do a snack time, but the kids bring their own if they want it.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

We have a half hour recess 2 hours after school begins; students bring snacks from home to eat then. We also are part of a nutrition program--each classroom receives a large bin of fresh fruit each week for the students to eat as they need.

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

There is one school around here that has kindergarten through eighth grade in one building. They all have to share one kitchen/cafeteria. The first classes come through at 10:30! So, they are allowed to have an afternoon snack. Each child brings his/her own items to eat.

9. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Our day starts at 7:40 and we don't eat until 12:53 so I was told we'll have a snack time probably around 10. I think I'll use it as a "working snack" though because time is precious!!

10. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

The children come in at 8:50. We have snack time at 10:30 and lunch and recess from 12:15-1 and go home at 3:15.

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Those who need it get breakfast at school when they arrive (by 8:45). We eat lunch at 11:30. We have snack at 2.

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

Our day begins at 7:30 (students come to class for morning work), our lunch this year is going to be 11:45 so I will allow the students to bring a snack if they want it. It will have to be a working snack however. We end our day at 2:30.

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

We have lunch at 10:10!!! By mid afternoon, my kids are starving and so am I. I eat a snack with them.

14. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks ya'll! I don't remember snacks ever. But I will be in my 2nd trimester while teaching, so I know I'll be huuuuuungry!! :)

15. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

We have a recess two hours after the start of the school day. After that I do a shared reading/ snack and milk break. The kids can bring in their own healthy snacks during this time. I usually get hungry around this time and will sometimes have a snack myself. :)

16. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Glad to see I am not the only one to go to lunch at 10:30! We have a snack around 2:15 so they don't go home really hungry!

17. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

My 5th graders didn't have lunch until 1pm last year, so we had a snack around 10 or so. It worked out perfect because it was right after our reading block (which is a loooooong block), so they could de-stress and chat a bit before heading into Math.

18. BookWorm6

BookWorm6 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I teach fifth grade and we have a late lunch as well (1:00). I allow my students to bring a "healthy" snack, which we eat while we are working. I think it is important for students to have a snack during the day as needed. They were also allowed to bring water bottles. I always felt bad when some students did not have a snack....I never did find a system for that...any advice? or are they out of luck???

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

I think some teachers on here mentioned that they make a big thing of Gorp or trail mix using nuts, raisins, goldfish crackers, cheerios, pretzels, etc. Then they pass it out to kids without snacks using those little Dixie cups.

20. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

I have let kids eat snack during read alouds in the past, or during morning meeting. It depends on the group. Last year, they could eat snack as part of their recess time if they chose to.

21. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I plan on having a 30 minute break for snack/bathroom/free time from 9:45-10:15 in my kindergarten classroom. We eat lunch at 12.

22. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

this past year my kids would use the bathroom during silent reading time around 10ish and then i would give them a small snack when they came back...they were hungry!! some come to school without breakfast if they don't get there early enough and our lunch is at 12...it helped keep them focus i found but if they were not behaving they didn't get a snack

23. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I would offer them a snack of mine. Sometimes they would take it, sometimes not.

24. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Our kiddos eat breakfast at school from 7:15 - 7:45. My class does not go to lunch until 12:15. We have a snack time about 10:15. The kids follow a snack calandar so they know it is their turn. I also keep a few boxes on hand in case someone forgets. If for some reason we skip snack I can tell a difference in mood. Especially those who tend to have ODD, ADHD, or other medical problems.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

I always give my kids a chance for snack time because I know I get hungry so they probably do too! This year our lunch isn't until 12:40pm, so we will definitely be having snack in the morning...actually my kids don't eat until 12:55 because they go to recess first!

26. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

Our day starts at 7:30, and lunch is not until 12:40. I allow them to eat snack at 10:25-10:35. We don't stop working, and it must not interfere with whatever we are doing. They can have: fresh fruit(already peeled they only have 10min.), half of a sandwich, crackers, fruit cups, dry cereal, granola bars, and trail mix. I don't allow chips, candy, or cookies. They can keep water bottles on their desks as well.

27. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Careful with the water issue. Water can quickly turn into pee and a class interruption! I allowed water in the class all day as long as it wasn't spilled. The kiddies could go to the bathroom as needed if I wasn't teaching anything at the time. It seemed to work. I'm dying to know my schedule for this coming year!!

28. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

My students know that we go to the restroom three times a day. There is no leaving the room to go to the rr unless it is an extreme emergency. If that is the case the timer is set and they owe me recess time(this put a stop to kids wanting to leave the room constantly for "emergencies") Students with Dr's note can go when they need to. Their water bottle must also have a lid.

29. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Ohhhhhh I like that one....I may just stea...I mean borrow that idea from you..... :)

30. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

Could someone (preferably someone who is also a parent) please tell me if this snack policy seems okay? If not, what changes would you make? I want to make snacks easy on everyone this year, but I am sick of seeing the same kids without a snack every day. They really get hungry! Thanks! :)

Snack time is very important for children. Please send in 2 boxes/bags of crackers, pretzels, granola bars, animal crackers, or graham crackers on the first school day of each month for the class to share. I will give snacks to the students every afternoon. This is an inexpensive and easy way to provide a snack for your child each day. The dollar store is a great place to pick things up!

Please do not send unhealthy snacks. Of course, you may send a snack for your child to eat after they have had their lunch in the cafeteria.

If you would like to send in a special treat for the whole class, such as fruit, vegetables or a birthday treat, just let me know in advance.

Here are some ideas:

(I show pictures of pretzels, cheez-its, graham crackers, and a few others here.)

31. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 24, 2007

Because no food is allowed on the playground (the mess plus it attracts wasps/bee and we have kids allergic to stings), I give the kids a 10 minute snack before first recess. I find, however, that they often treat it as visit time so I'm very strict from the beginning that when the egg timer dings, it is time to go out whether you've filled your growling tummy or not.

32. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2007

Such a simple solution, I have no idea why I didn't think of that. We have the last lunch, and so we have a snack (brought from home) around 10:15. I usually sit on the bench outside the classroom talking with my colleagues, but I feel time just ticking away. I think I'll let them have a few minutes to get the snack and settle in and then I'll use the time to work on something. I love talking with my friends, but there are other challenges going on and the downtime is just adding to the problem.
    Thanks. Sometimes I just don't think straight.

33. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 24, 2007

We have snack time at 9:45-10:00. This is a working snack. I don't provide snack, if they don't bring it then obviously their parents don't think they need it. I mainly have this time to break up reading and math and to give the students time to finish their morning journals.

34. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Anyone have comments about my snack policy? (It's a few posts up.) I want to send it out today. Thanks! :)

35. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 25, 2007

My former public school was K-8, with a shared cafeteria. My students had lunch at 10:30, which was absolutely outrageous -nobody should have to eat lunch two hours after breakfast! However, my kids were in class until 3:20, and by around 2:00, they were starving. Administration held that because they were in middle school, there would be no snacks or food of any kind in the classrooms. (the cafeteria was booked solid with classes when lunchtime was over.) We middle school teachers were disgusted, and because we had that ridiculous "Advisor/Advisee" time in the middle of the afternoon, some of the teachers brought in juiceboxes and food for the students. It cost so little, really, and the kids were SOOOO appreciative! Rural, low-income school-kids can't afford to bring their own snacks, so we provided them. I didn't mind at all.

The teachers who didn't care to bother got angry with us because THEIR students couldn't understand why they didn't get food, but such is life. We continued to feed our rumbly-tummied pre-teens because it was the right thing to do, and administration's decision was WRONG. Sometimes you have to challenge a stupid rule.

Besides, when you buy juice-boxes by the case at Big Lots, they end up costing about a nickel apiece. I could afford that. And I used to make blueberry muffins for my students.

I guess I'm saying that growing kids need a buffer between meals and there was NO WAY I would try to teach over the sound of all those stomachs growling if there was something I could do to help them.

36. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

We eat lunch at 11:30 so we will not have a snack in 4th grade. There are too many obese children today. They can have a bottle of water at their desk though. ( and bithday treats)

37. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2007

To me, encouraging them to have a small healthy snack at school keeps the kids from eating more when they finally do make it home.

38. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

When I started teaching 15 years ago no one had snacks except kindergarten. Now, everyone thinks if you don't have a snack the kids will pass out or something. I'll give them an extra recess to exercise more than give them more food. It is on the news daily that kids today have high blood pressure and are too fat. I'm not going to give into the "snack bussiness." Let mom and dad feed them when they get home. We now give them breakfast and lunch and now a snack. Please, are they babies or something. We have lunch at 11:30 so it isn't necessary.

39. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 25, 2007

I asked for snacks to be donated my first year and only 1 parents donated every month! I think if parents provide it then it's great! I do think 2 bags or boxes per student is a little much. I would just give kids a handful of preztles (which come in a 6lb bag for like $5 at Costco). You don't want to make snack a meal, it's just a snack to hold you over!

40. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks for your input, mom&teacher. I might change it to 1 box. :)

41. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 25, 2007

I wish we had snack time. I'm starving when it's time to eat lunch! I usually eat breakfast around 7am and lunch is at 1pm. We start school at 9:30 and lunch is at 1:10. We used to have snack time at our school but when they implemented the option of students buying breakfast they took snack time away. About 3-4 of my students get breakfast on a regualr basis.

I realize the obesity rate, but I feel if they had a small snack it would help in terms of their attention, and from gorging themselves at lunch time. We've had a big food transformation in the last year. Students cannot bring any kind of treat for their birthday. They can donate a book to the classroom library or bring in erasers/pencils for their classmates.