Snacks for Guests?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by i8myhomework, Jan 11, 2014.

1. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 11, 2014

What do you serve as refreshments and snacks when you have a guest over?

I ask because normally if I know I am going to have someone over I have appetizers cooked and some type of special lemonade or tea made. But lately I've had the problem of people dropping by, be it family members, friends etc.

I mean, I love it when people stop by to visit! That's totally not the issue. The problem is that normally all I have are leftovers. So then I have to get up, fix something and spend twenty minutes in the kitchen getting something ready.

So to all of you that do this, how do you quickly prepare something for unannounced visitors? Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for something quick to whip up and set out? Something that takes, say, ten minutes?

I have looked at Pinterest for ideas but still don't see anything!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2014

If people just drop by, they can have whatever I have in the house, like crackers or something. Luckily my friends never just drop by.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2014

Nut mix
    Pretzels
    Dried fruit
    Goldfish crackers
    Cheese cubes

I have a collection of pretty rice bowls..I'll fill two or three bowls with any of the above.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2014

There are some pretty tasty frozen foods in the grocery stores. Frozen cheese sticks, etc. Easy to pop a pan in the oven and serve them with salsa, etc.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2014

If you're that used to having people just drop by, how about:

- wasabi peas
    - chips & salsa &/or guacamole
    - pita chips & hummus
    - cheese spread & crackers
    - salami
    - good cheeses
    - turkey or beef jerky
    - pasta salad
    - potato salad
    - fruit salad
    - pudding
    - biscotti

finger foods you can pop in the oven:

- frozen egg rolls
    - taquitos
    - pizza rolls

Glad I never have to worry about people just dropping by. It will never happen w/ me! :)

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2014

No one ever stops by unannounced. Thankfully. :)

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2014

Here in CR it's normal to have coffee and cookies or crackers.

9. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jan 11, 2014

I do the same. Easy peasy.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2014

We always have a block of cheese, some crackers and some turkey pepperoni in the fridge...just in case!

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 11, 2014

In Hungary (when I was growing up) every household would have a stash of various crackers, cookies and a few bottles of soda. It was also customary to offer coffee (espresso) especially since most people drink espresso there.

You have great suggestions above, you have a lot of packaged food as well as frozen, and it should only take a few minutes to put them together.

12. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 12, 2014

I don't even think to offer anyone who just drops by something to eat. I might ask if they want a soft drink. That may be why I don't have more visitors.

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2014

If someone drops by, I will usually make chai and offer whatever snacks I have available. (Usually, I have frozen samosas or something of the sort that is easy to make and is yummy as well!)

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 12, 2014

I don't really have people who just 'drop in'. But you have some great suggestions. Chips and salsa are easy to have on hand.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2014

lol. Me too! I offer something to drink, but not usually something to eat. Having said that, I don´t really get too many dropins. Occasionally another teacher who I work with will stop by (she lives on the same street) to see if I want to go walking, but that´s it. Of course, I live in a big city and no one would ever just be in the neighborhood.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 12, 2014

If they stop by unannounced, they don't get refreshments.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2014

That's what I was thinking. :haha:

Seriously, though.

You get an offer of water if you drop by (as that's the only drink I have at home).

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 12, 2014

Same here! Although usually the only "guests" we have drop in are family and close friends. It's kind of a given they are invited to rummage through the refrigerator and cabinets if they are hungry or thirsty. :p

19. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 12, 2014

D*nm. A lot of you are cold lol. :lol:

Southern dad + jewish mom= you cook when people come over. Don't ask me why that is.

20. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 12, 2014

Thanks everyone! The hummus actually would work great. I can just fix up a ton and put it in the fridge. Will definitely have to get pita bread as well.

CHEESE PLATES! Mom would kill me but what she won't know... I love various cheeses, though I normally only put some out during the holidays. This will be excellent. Thanks kindly for the suggestions.

Btw, I love when people drop by. It's my fave thing ever. It's how I grew up. I just feel bad when I have nothing prepared and it throws off my visit.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2014

I never just drop in somewhere, but if I did I would NOT want my friend or family member to go to the trouble of preparing anything or even fussing in the kitchen getting out cheese or whatever. I would feel awful and would never do it again. Haha. :)

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2014

None of the following requires me running out to the store. I have a fairly well stocked pantry and most of the nibbles I suggested on hand:

I have a married son...he drops by.

A neighborhood girlfriend who call on a whim...mostly coffee on my porch with her.

My parents live just a few blocks over...tea with mom, wine and nibbles with dad.

I'll invite other friends over for a glass of wine on occasion and always have my suggested goodies on hand.

My life is about family and friends...casual and easy entertaining. I don't find it stressful if someone drops by, I consider it a blessing.:angel:

23. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 12, 2014

I usually have a box of crackers or a bag of chips available to offer. When I buy drinks, I try to save an extra bottle or can so that when I or anyone who visits wants something, I have different options available.

Also, if I have any vegetables pre-sliced in the fridge, I'll set those out with some ranch.

We usually have a few things in the freezer too, so if someone is staying for a while, I might put french fries or something like that in the oven. I've been trying to eat healthier, though, so none of those in my freezer right now!

24. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 12, 2014

I love it when people drop by too! As for entertaining I think I will always find it stressful, unless it is pre-planned. Just the way I'm wired I think.

25. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 12, 2014

This:)