Snack

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MrsB2B, Aug 31, 2008.

1. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Does anyone else have snack in 4th grade? When I student taught in a different county two years ago, we did not do snack. This year, 4th and 5th grade still have snack.

It's obvious to me that students don't need it (it's scheduled at 9:30..lunch is at 11). The kids think it is play time. One of the other teachers in 4th moved up from 1st grade where she has been teaching for ages. She insists that she herself needs a "break/snack time" during that time as well.

Personally, I think it is a little absurd. We were told to not provide snack for the kids and that they are responsible for bringing their own if they want it. Well of course there are always like 10 kids who don't have anything.

Just want your opinions! Thanks!

3. educate

educate Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

hmm. i teach 4th grade.. and i can personally say that at this age students do not need a snack to maintain energy... they have plenty.. and even if the school you work in does have the snack time implemented they should provide the snacks for all children because this now creates a problem with students who do not have means to bring a snack everyday.. it also cuts into instruction time which is never a good thing!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 31, 2008

My fifth graders are allowed to bring a snack everyday. It doesn't cut into instructional time because it is always a "working snack." Usually they are allowed to eat it during their independent reading time (readers' workshop).

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

In my area you get a snack/break time from kindergarten all the way through middle school and in highschool you get a long break like 30 mins.

6. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

hmmm...I'm planning on going back next week and talking to my other grade level teachers about starting up snack. We start at 9:05 and have lunch at 12:3o but the we only get 15 minutes to eat. At about 2 the kids and I are drooping.

My plan was to have parents donate boxes of cereal and around 2 give everyone a 1/4-1/2 cup or so on a paper towel.

7. heatherhawaii

heatherhawaii Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I teach 4th, and my kids leave their snack out on their desk when they arrive in the morning, and eat when they are hungry. Since we are all hungry at different times, it never made sense to me to do a designated snack time. This has always worked for me, and the kids love being able to eat whenever they want.

8. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I allow the kids to have snack after specials, but they have to work and eat at the same time... I'm always telling them they have to multi-task. I give them 10 minutes to eat it and then all food has to be put away. They may be in fourth grade, but they're still growing. I also allow them to have snack during their afternoon recess.

9. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I teach 4th and I allow my students to have a healthy snack after specials at 9:50. When they come in from specials, they go to their backpack, get their snack, sit down and get ready to work. They are very good about working and eating. I told them on the first day that if it becomes a problem, including finding food/wrappers on the floor, they will not be allowed to have snack anymore. So far...so good!

The reason I allow it is because school doesn't start until 9:05 and so many of them go to the babysitters at 6:30 or so and they eat breakfast before they go. By 10 they are usually starving.

10. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I love snack time!! This is my 2nd year teaching 4th grade, and at first I did think snack time was a little too primary, but when lunch comes around at 12:00, even I'm itching for a snack. I just buy a box of cereal like Honey Combs, Cheerios, or something like that, so that everyone has a snack. I did try to start with the kids brining in their own snacks, but they had trouble with knowing what a healthy snack was/is...hot cheeto's NO!!
    I use snacks during Writer's workshop, and I use it as a behavior reward, "once everyone is quietly writing, we will have snacks, if not, we will have to wait, or have to skip snack time all together today" This always works. I love it!! I know it's a form of bribery, but if it works, go for it!! :lol:

11. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

At the beginning of the school year (the first week or so) we will have a snack while taking the restroom/drink/stretch break. I just buy a big jar of pretzels from Sam's Club and share. After a week or so, everyone is back into their routine and not so used to eating whenever they want to. I keep a jar of pretzels in the room for when the mood strikes.

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

We start at 7:50 (the buses start arriving at 7:20). We eat lunch at 12:44. My kids (and me, too) couldn't last that long without a little something. We eat snack at 9:30 (after specials), while we are having our read aloud time. The teacher next door let's hers eat any time they are hungry, as long as they don't make a mess.

Snack works for us, but I can see people with other schedules not having to have one. I guess it depends on when they arrive and when your lunch is.