snack

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by diggerdeb, Mar 7, 2010.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

What is your favorite snack to serve?

My parents send in money (if they can) and I do the purchasing.

I am bored with what I continue to buy (but I know the kids aren't) so I am looking for more ideas.

Also I would like to do a better job making snacktime a learning time.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

When I taught preK, my kids loved cut up fruit, goldfish crackers, pretzels, graham crackers, cheese...

How about having the kids make fruit kabobs? grapes, bananas, apple chunks on skewers...talk about the colors, count how many chunks on each skewer...could color in graphs of kids' favorite fruits...

Do some math with goldfish or pretzels- give everyone 5,count them, eat one, how many are left...

Fine motor skills- picking up loop cereal with the end of a chopstick and eating...spreading cheese, jam or pb on crackers...

4. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

my kiddos love animal crackers, goldfish, graham crackers, fruit, and peanut butter crackers.

Counting how many snacks they have is a great learning activity for snack.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 7, 2010

6. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Mar 7, 2010

going fishing for snack
    put a small amount of cream cheese on a plate some small thin pretzel rods (fishing Poles) and some gold fish (fish). The children stick the pretzel in the cream cheese then they go fishing for goldfish on their plate

7. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Mar 7, 2010

trail mix with a few different choices, cheerios, little cheez-its, rasins etc.

funny face bagles

gogurt yogurt tubes

jello jigglers

yogurt and granola with some fruit on top

funny face english muffin pizza

painted toast (talk about different colors and color mixing)

fun shaped bread and jelly/butter/creme cheese, put out a small variety of cookie cutters and have the children make a shape out of the bread then spread jelly/butter/or creme cheese on it. This works on fine motor skills, and you can also work on shape recognition.

Cheese and cracker stackers

Ants on a log ( you can use creme cheese if someone in your class is allegic to peanut butter.)
    yogurt covered raisins
    little raisin boxes
    fruit cups

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Mar 7, 2010

I thought of some more :)

cheerio/froot loop necklaces: kids can work on fine motor skills as they string the cereal, patterns, colors etc.

string cheese

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 7, 2010

My parents send in snacks... one of the kids' favorites are these new Cheeze-Its that have letters on it. The kids love trying to spell their names and/or word wall words with them. :)

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 7, 2010

That is BRILLIANT, halpey!!!

11. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 7, 2010

I'd never seen them before... they just magically came in one day and we discovered MANY ways to use them... then I started requesting them and now we have them about once a week usually.

12. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Mar 7, 2010

we do this too except we use peanut butter in place of the cream cheese.

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 8, 2010

How does that work, with the kids sending in snack?
    Sounds like a good idea, rather than each kid each day...

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 8, 2010

We do that with the letter shaped "animal cookie" type low sugar cookie. We had one group that learned they could chew their classic shaped pretzle into most of the lower case alphabet. That took time and was a wonderful letter recognition experiment. A couple of the letters are hard, try it yourself, it is very fun.

We enjoy using toothpicks to pick up (or fish for) fruit cubes/grapes. This is a great hand eye snack and they love the challenge.

15. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

I am confused about this. Why would the parents send in money for snacks? The school does not provide them? Also, I can not believe you are allowed to use peanut butter.

16. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 9, 2010

My guess is that the OP works in a private preschool. And in my experience the rules are different in private preschools ;). Or at least, they get to make their own rules. Private schools are often completely tuiton funded and parents are asked to help out and bring in certain supplies. At the school I worked at, the snack was school provided for the most part. But there was also a snack calendar so several times a month it was a different child's 'turn' to bring in snack for the whole class. And again, because my school was a private school, we got to make our own rules regarding peanuts. My director didn't want a peanut free school, so we didn't have one. We had kids with peanut allergies attend, and we just made accommodations for them. Maybe this is similiar to the OP's situation, I'm not sure.....but just giving an example :)

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 9, 2010

I have a small class, so I assign kids each a week to bring in snack. Works out to once a month or so, they bring snack for the whole class for a week. Works well. :)

The blended room next door has 15 kids AM and 15 kids PM, so they each get a calendar with one day or so out of the month to supply snack. They provide it for teh whole 15 kids on their assigned day.

And when people forget, or are absent, we ALWAYS have the leftover snacks, so there's plenty of options. Towards the end of the year, i'm just going to call it 'pantry snacks" and eat what's left over. Everything is always individually wrapped, so it's easy to put back what we don't use.

We're in public school. At this level, it's SO much easier to have everyone eating the same thing than to have everyone bring their own snacks. I'm trying to curb the picky eating one way or another :)

18. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Mar 10, 2010

Ok. I work in a private school too, but we get all of our meals and snacks from the kitchen. I had never heard of that before, b ut it sounds like it works.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 10, 2010

Our preschoolers at church love: animal crackers,cheese its, goldfish crackers, any kind of cookie, etc. Most of the time they usually get goldfish or animal crackers.

20. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Mar 10, 2010

We do a lot of make your own snack activities. Our kids love to cook. We have taken vanilla yogurt in two cups and added food coloring to it, then we have the children mix the two colors to make a new color like purple or orange. There are a lot of great non-cook snack making projects. "The Mailbox" is a great place to look.