SNACK TIME

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by BASAM, Jun 29, 2007.

1. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

All of the elementary grades at my school do snack time, when I taught 1st and 2nd I had students bring in donations and it worked out fine, for the last few years I have taught 3rd grade but will be going back to 2nd this fall. I want students who choose to bring a snack to do so individually but I am concerned about those who don't have one. I am really not interested in spending time passing out snack but don't want the sad faces.

What are some of the way other people handle snack?

Snacks do have to be healthy, no junk food.

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 29, 2007

When I did my student teaching (in 2nd grade), my mentor teacher started her plan the very first week of school. She asked the parents to provide a snack for the entire class once every couple of months or so. For classroom management purposes, she had numbered her students. The student who was number one brought the first snack to share with the class. From there on, they followed in numberical order. The teacher always provided a snack on Fridays and was sure to remind parents that their turn was coming up (at least a week ahead). She had a calendar in the front of the students' take-home folders that had each student's name written in the date they were supposed to bring a snack. Her system seemed to work really well for that class.
    I'm teaching 5th grade and can't decide whether I want to do a snack time this year. The kids made such a mess last year and acted like I was responsible for cleaning the room no matter how many times we went of responsibilities. Maybe this year will be different! Anyone have thoughts on whether to do a snack with 5th graders? (Keep in mind, I've only taught for one spring semester, so I'm a newbie. :D )

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2007

We always brought enough snacks for the whole class. I seem to remember that we each brought a snack about once per month or so.

I always liked graham crackers, goldfish crackers, trail mix, fresh fruit, apples and celery with peanut butter, veggies with dip, apple sauce, yogurt, pudding, and jell-o.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 29, 2007

mstnteacherlady: Why don't you start the upcoming school year off with a probationary time period, during which you do have a snack time (like on Fridays), limited to healthy foods, of course. If at any time the students disregard the rules (i.e., cleaning up the mess), snack time can be abolished with no discussion. Just a thought.

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 29, 2007

pwhatley: Hey, that's a great idea! I had been trying to think of something to do, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Our lunch is not until 12:15, so it's quite a long period of the day before they eat. I'd hate to leave them hanging out all day without a snack, ya know? Seriously, sometimes I even need a snack. Thanks!

7. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 29, 2007

We type up a monthy snack list with each student's name on it. If a birthday fall in that month, the student is "assigned" for that day because most parents want to bring in bakery cupcakes or something like that. There often are leftover (packaged) snacks (many students prefer to get right to the playing), so if someone doesn't bring one in, we're still covered. On special days or after a break, I'll usually supply the snack. This is great, and we give parents suggestions about "healthy snacks," although they often aren't so healthy. Our only rule is that we're not allowed to serve homemade goods.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 30, 2007

I probably already know the answer to this, srh, but why no homemade items?

9. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

RUM CAKE!!

10. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 30, 2007

Well, the party line says it's because of potential allergy issues (homemade things are not reliably labeled!), and I understand that. Personally, I think people are afraid of other kinds of lawsuits, like having kids eat cupcakes made on a kitchen counter that has other issues going for it!! (And I have to admit, I would be leery of eating some of those treats too!!)

11. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

I send a note home saying that the students should bring a healthy snack. Then I print up "Snack tickets" that give each child a chance to 'forget' snack 3 times per month. After that, oh well, no snack! The "snack tickets" are used to get a small snack from our extra snack supply--I have always had a box of crackers or something donated by a parent.
    I love using the "snack tickets"--before that, I was noticing that the same students kept on forgetting. Once they used all their snack tickets for the month, their memory suddenly improved!

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 30, 2007

My 5th graders last year brought their own snack every day. Many of them were eating breakfast at 6:30 every morning and we ate lunch at noon. That's a long time to go without eating, especially for active 5th graders.

13. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jun 30, 2007

I have decided to only provide my students w/ snack the first week of school. After that, it is up to them to bring a snack. I think a second grader or a second grader parent can pack a snack if they want one before lunch. If not, that is their choice [they are not going to starve].
    I have my parents alternate bringing in a special snack on Friday's called our Friday treat. This is for children that do not lose more than 5 tally marks each week.

14. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

knittingbec, I love the "snack tickets" idea. I think I'll try that this year!

I've always left it up to my kids to bring their own snack unless there was a special occasion where a parent would send snack or I'd bring it (like when we read about mango trees and I brought mango for everyone.) Last year about 20 minutes before time to get on the bus I'd make sure all the kids were packed up and we'd have snack. Usually I'd turn the TV on and I'd let the kids watch Clifford on PBS. That worked out because it was right after their PE time so it's not like they were paying attention to instruction anyway.

Next year I think our PE time will be earlier so it won't work out so well. I saw this at another school I went to on a site visit. The kids keep their snack at their desk and they can eat it whenever they want to if the teacher isn't giving whole group instruction or the child isn't in a small group at the teacher's table. That way they have to be responsible. If they choose to eat their snack at 8:30 in the morning they'll just be hungry later on in the day. I think I'm going to try that this year.

15. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 30, 2007

I love the snack ticket idea... I found myself providing snacks for the same few kids a LOT. Great idea I will be implementing! :D

16. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

I am so glad this thread is here because I have been thinking about this issue. I will be teaching 2nd grade this fall (first-year teacher). We will be eating a very early lunch, and I think the students will need an afternoon snack. I had thought about doing the traditional snack calendar, but I have concerns. I know that, in my school, it is a financial hardship for many families to provide enough snacks for a class once a month. I don't want anyone to feel badly about not being able to provide. I also thought about each student bringing his/her own snack, but, again, those same students would probably be sitting there without a snack watching the others eat.

I would love to be able to bring them all snacks everyday but know that is not feasible. Anyone with similar issues?

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 30, 2007

This past school year I was subbing in a second grade classroom. The students were required to bring their own mid-morning snack. Just as we were cleaning up, one little boy came to me and said, "I wish I had a snack. I haven't eaten all weekend."

The other teachers at this school that I subbed for had parents donate snacks for the entire class. That was a much better situation for this school that had many children from low-income homes.

18. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 30, 2007

I have the kids bring their own snacks everyday. I teach first and second grades and they learn pretty quickly that they need to be responsible for their own snacks. I tell the parents at the beginning of the year at the open house about this (I also have a handout for those parent unable to attend) and it goes on from there. The first week or so (until open house) I might buy a big bag of pretzels from Costco or something but after that...they are on their own. I just can't afford to feed everyone else's kids...I have 4 of my own. ;)

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

Our kids all bring their own snacks to eat at recess. We are also part of a funded program which provides fresh fruit to our school for student snacks. Each week a bin of fresh fruit in season is delivered to each classroom for the students.

20. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

In my classroom, students are responsible for bringing in a healthy snack if s/he wants one for the day. If they don't, too bad. I am constantly reminding them to bring some "brain food" and promote it in my monthly newsletter. This year though (if food allergies are NOT a problem), I am thinking of having students donate a bag of "stuff" to turn into gorp or a Chex Mix-type concoction. I would store the hodge-podge of foods in an 18gal Rubbermaid container. If a child forgets snack, s/he can have a cup. For those students who eat their snack and are still hungry, they too can have an extra "pick-me-up". As far as items for the mixture, I am thinking about: crackers, Chex mix, nuts (again depends on food allergies), choc. chips, raisens/other dried berries, popcorn, Goldfish crackers, Cheetos, and well, you get the point. This way everyone can participate in our "working snack break" and won't "die" until our 12:15 lunch. :) Oh, yeah, if I notice certain kiddos eating the mix all the time but not bringing snack, I might be inclined to talk to their parents. I have found that as more and more of my parents are working, their kids are left alone in the am to get ready. Several of my students did not eat breakfast at home before coming to school.. what?!?!!???!?? I can not even imagine!

On the plus side of this arrangement, if I need to dip into the "pot" for a snackie, it'll be there and my desk drawer can be used for folders and such and not a "stash" of candy, snacks, and such. ;)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

OK, this is coming from the working mom of 3 small kids.

Can you guys give me any ideas for easy (as in pre-packaged) healthy snacks? Making those lunches/snacks is one of the biggest chores each morning. (Brian, who eats anything buys his lunch :) But Julia, my picky eater, buys only on chicken nugget days.)

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

I hate making lunches too, Alice!

Some ideas for snacks--granola bars, single-pack applesauce or pudding, goldfish crackers and a cheese string, baby carrots and dip, grapes (prepack into mini ziploc bags on the weekend when you have time), rice cakes...

23. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

I like the ideas that I've read so far. My concerns are:

I teach in a very low income school. The kids are supposed to bring their own snacks, but at least half the class doesn't ever bring one. They are staring at the kids who are eating because they are HUNGRY!

How do you all enforce healthy snacks? Do you make the kids put it away if they take out Doritos or something like that? Our school sells very unhealthy snacks before school and at lunch. The parents all send money so their kids can buy the junk. Am I supposed to tell the kids they can't eat what they just bought in the cafeteria? (I've tried having the junk outlawed, but it has fallen on deaf ears. :()

A teacher I know has each parent send in 2 boxes of pretzels/crackers/graham crackers a month. That is what the kids get for snack. Those types of items can be stored without going bad and they can be purchased at a dollar store. Does $2 a month sound okay to everyone here? I think I might adopt this plan.

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

grapes, go gurt( yougurt in a pouch), cheese strings, baby carrots,

25. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 1, 2007

Alice,

My daughter's favorite for snack or lunch are Uncrustables. They are frozen PB&J sandwiches. They stay in the freezer till you pack them and they thaw out by snack or lunchtime.

26. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 1, 2007

Animal Cookies.
    Small Pretzels.
    Gold Fish Crackers.
    TRAIL MIX
    tiny marshmallows, (buy the big bags of generic cereals) Honey Nut Cheerios, Chex cereal, Fruit Loops and lots of popcorn. Popcorn is cheap. Buy a bowl that you put in the microwave to pop the popcorn in. Buy the bags of corn. Don't add salt or butter. The students will never notice, it isn't messy, less calories. I have used popcorn like this for several years and I have never yet had a student remark about the popcorn. Only yeppie popcorn. Use this on days students forget.

Often times our bodies say we are hungry and we are thirsty. We don't drink enough liquids. Our students are encouraged to bring a bottle of water with a pop up lid and leave it by their desk. Water is to our minds as oil is to a car. We need water.

27. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

I enforce the healthy snack rule from day 1, at BTSN I let parents know that there are certain things that are not allowed in the class at all HOT CHEETOS, soda, candy, cotton candy, cake, doughnuts, etc. The first time I see a student with something that is not allowed they have to put it away, if I have to talk to them more than once I take it and throw it in the trash. I also throw food directly away if they have been warned and they try to bring something in on a different day. I have never had any problems with parents when I have had to throw stuff away.

Our school also doesn't let them take food from the cafeteria, if they buy it there then they eat it there.

28. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2007

My kids bring in a snack each day and have time to eat during "free choice" if they want. I don't have a scheduled snack time. They can eat if they want to. I have some that do and most don't. When choice time is over and someone says "I'm hungry" I tell them they had the choice to eat snack earlier. The only problem with this, is I know kids don't have much awareness of their bodies, which we all know. They don't realize they are hungry b/c they would rather play.