Snack time...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Sep 28, 2010.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

What kinds of foods do you offer during snack time? If a child doesn't eat what is given do you provide a different snack?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 28, 2010

My parents supply the snack, and I do it on a rotation. The district has a wellness policy, and we're asked to abide by that (healthy snacks... no cupcakes, cookies, candy, etc). I typically have a bunch of picky eaters, but one of the reasons I have them rotate snack is it provides encouragement to kids to try something new. I try to get them to try a bite... I don't figure they'll starve in a 2 1/2 hr period of time if they DON'T eat, but do let their parents know if they didn't eat (or ate more than normal). If it's something that I KNOW particular kids don't like (and they've tried it for me before, and really legitimately don't like it), I may offer something else as an laternative... we're having crackers today. Do you want round crackers or square crackers? EVERYONE generally gets the choice, though, not just the one kid who doen't like something. Barring food allergies, though, we eat what's served. Most of my parents stick with animal crackers, pudding, goldfish, tedy grahams, ritz bits, raisins... the kids always like those.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 28, 2010

Ours bring their own. Some parents will send a ton of stuff and tell us if a kid doesn't have a snack to share what their child has. Our also like to trade snacks.

We've had some that wouldn't eat what they bring nor would they eat other things that were offered... oh well. I'm not a quick stop with all kinds of snacks to pick from.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 28, 2010

Sheeeeeesh ;)

If you don't come to the table, you don't eat. If you don't eat, it's not my fault.

When I was little, dinner was dinner. You can eat what's offered, or you can be hungry. :dizzy:

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 28, 2010

Our kids bring their own snacks. Healthy snacks are encouraged, if someone brings candy, etc., we have an alternative and send it back home. We do have children with allergies so we have to monitor what is brought in.

7. kejadair

kejadair New Member

Sep 28, 2010

We provide snacks - morning is fruit, grain, and milk. Afternoon is grain and juice. They get one serving, and if they don't eat it, that's their choice. For lunch, they get a grain, fruit, vegetable, meat, and milk. They can get seconds on lunch, but only if they eat 2 bites of everything on their plate and if the one thing they want is all gone. We have some kids that don't eat much. We encourage them to try one bite.

8. yenny

yenny Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

Parents bring in 2 pieces of fruit a week for our fruit bowl. We prepare a selection of 3 or 4 diferent kinds of fruits, and offer with milk or water. We also provide a more substantial snack in the afternoon, offering breadsticks, crackers, half a piece of toast, or half a crumpet, with some more fruit. Also we have made our own snack and eaten it warm from the oven. So things like apple cakes, scones, cheese straws. Last week i made an avocado dip with the children, and they loved it, they ate it with pepper, carrot, cucumber sticks, yummy!

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 10, 2010

When I taught preschool if they didn't like the snack the alternative was graham crackers. If they didn't like those then they just went without.

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2010

OUr snack is the same every morning pretty much. Children bring in fruit for our fruit basket every day so we have a selection of fruit and we have bread and peanut butter and milk and water.

Being a montessori school the children prepare their own snacks and can use a sharp knife to cut their fruit into little pieces if they want. They are also welcome to have as much as they want, provided they eat everything they take. When they're finished, they clean up after themselves and make it ready for the next person.

We have snack out all morning long and some kids eat first thing when they get to school and some wait until later in the morning. OUr snack space only provides room for 4 children at a time, so it makes it for a nice comfy space for children to have snack.

11. skerns

skerns Companion

Oct 10, 2010

Snack

Our state requires us to provide a healthy snack each am. Some ex. are:

low fat popcorn
    goldfish crackers
    cheese sticks
    gogurt tubes
    apples slices
    grapes
    trail mix (no nuts, we have nut allergies)
    chips and salsa
    beef jerky
    cheese and crackers
    bagel chips and cream cheese
    rice cakes and cream cheese
    yogurt and berries
    animal crackers
    bananas

we used to do peanut butter, but can not because of allergies now

We do not give alternate snack options,,

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit" :lol:

12. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Oct 11, 2010

We try and do a variety of healthy snacks. A lot of our parents are super concerned with nutrition so we have to be careful and stay away from processed, sugary treats.

We do not offer the children an alternative to what we are serving for snack. We have in the past and then it becomes a mess because everybody wants what the alternative is. They are only with us for 2 hours so I figure if they dont eat snack they will not be to hungry. We try and use snack as a time to introduce the kids to foods they may have not tried before.