Snack Time

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsVanillawafer, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I teach 2nd grade. Last year in my school K, 1, 3, and 4 had snack time but my grade partners and I decided we didn't want to have it. I hate the fact that it takes important learning time away, I hate crumbs and food in my classroom, and then I have kids wanting drinks and the water fountain is so far away! Not to mention the unhealthy things that are brought in. On Wednesdays we have soft pretzel day (loveeee living in Philly during this day ;) ). Its not such a huge deal to have the kids eat their pretzels at the end of the day because there arent wrappers, smells, etc.

Our day starts at 8:30 and the kids have lunch at 12. Then we go from 12:30-3 and they leave. Thats a pretty equal time. In the other classes I can understand why they have morning snack (4th grade doesnt eat lunch until 1:30).

I think my question to everyone is, do you have snack time? Do you think its important to have that break? Is there any way I can have a "working snack" and how do you manage that? My students get PLENTY of bathroom breaks during the day too so they dont need the break for that.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2010

Our school day starts at 8:05 and lunch is at 11:55. We do have a 30 minutes recess halfway through the morning. Many of the primary classes to have their students eat their snack before going outside for recess to cut down on the amount of litter and the number of bees and wasps. Some teachers stop everything at snack time, although most just have the kids eat their snack while they continue with their work. Although our day officially begins at 8:05, many children are in daycare before school, so it may have been some time since they had breakfast.

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 13, 2010

Our day starts at 8:25 and lunch is at 11:30. My students can have a snack at morning recess (9:45) if they have brought something from home. The only class at our school that has snack time scheduled is kindergarten, but only for the first part of the year. The K teacher transitions them to recess snack by January.

If I had to have snack in my classroom it would definitely be a working snack period and I would probably rethink my schedule so something like silent reading was happening then.

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 13, 2010

I think it depends on your school population and your personal preference.

I do snack at my school, but I also have kids that go home and don't get much for supper. The only meals they get are at school-breakfast, lunch and snack. We also eat lunch at 10:45, so the kids are hungry by 2:00. Our 1st grade teachers don't do snack, but have to offer milk to those that qualify.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

I never know what to do about snack, either. My team members have morning and afternoon snack. I eliminated the afternoon snack this past year. School starts at 8:45, but some kids are on the bus for over an hour in the morning. We have lunch at 12:00. I have snack at 9:20, just in case some kids didn't eat breakfast. It only takes about 10 minutes and I feel that it's important for my students. I know how crabby I get when I'm hungry!

7. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

If my schedule permits, I do snack during recess. If that doesn't work, it is always a working snack.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

We officially start school at 8:00 and release at 3:00. Our lunches range from 11:00-12:40 (my class has lunch at 12:10).

In our state we do not give snacks unless for medical reasons or late lunches (as 1:00 or after). That being said, we are allowed to use food if we can tie it to a framework and it is on the approved list. We are allowed 9 times per year to have a snack, and the date has to be scheduled for the whole school.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2010

I should add--our kids all bring their own snacks. We are, however, part of a Healthy Schools initiative. Through this initiative, we are able to provide a bin of fresh seasonal fruit and applesauce to all of the classrooms every week.

10. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

No snack at our school. Though sometimes I see teachers pass out a small handful of cereal or animal crackers during writer's workshop.

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 13, 2010

If a child brings a snack from home, he or she may eat it during morning recess. That's really it for us.

12. diana

diana Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Wow, I didn't know some elementary classrooms don't have snack time; it seems so commonplace now where in live. So many young children are such jitterbugs, burning mad calories throughout the day, that it seems almost cruel to make them wait until lunchtime to eat. Although, I can certainly see the reasoning on the teacher's end for not having snack time--I know I dislike food crumbs in the classroom (and the bugs that follow).

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

I'm giving up snack this year for the same reasons as the OP. It takes forever for the children to eat; some bring a buffet; parents think pop tarts and sugar cereal are healthy snacks; crumbs left everywhere; and absolutely no instruction going on during our "working snack". We have about 3 hours from coming to school until we have lunch and then they go home two hours later. During the summer, I'm sure the children go longer than that before eating.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

I always have snack in my classroom. Part of the reason is because I need it myself (stomach issues- need to eat snacks and several small meals a day) and part of it is because I often want the small break in the schedule. I will usually give 15 minutes for snack...if we don't have the time, then its a working snack.

I also have a dust buster in the room. It helps to cut down on the crumbs. However, our classrooms are carpeted and are also vaccuumed daily.

But my kids must bring their own snack...I only provide it for special occassions.

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

We start at 8:05 and end at 3:05, and have our lunches split into 3 shifts - 4 and 5 have lunch at 11:30, they have no snack; K,1 has lunch at 12:10 and they have snack; 2-3 has lunch at 12:50, and they have snack.

16. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

Our students have breakfast in the room first thing in the morning(all are low income and qualify), so we don't do a morning snack. The state provides a 1/2pint of milk for the early grades each day, and they have that in the afternoon. The children are there from 7:45 to 3:00, with lunch at 11:15 or 11:45. The classes that eat early(kindergarten) have a snack with their milk in the afternoon. Otherwise, the only time we have snacks are on birthdays or holidays.

17. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I may try it this year. I think I may cut my morning routine a bit, start earlier, and use some of that time later for snack (maybe even do it during writing?). Last year I also had a student with severe peanut allergies and I was afraid at what the kids would bring. Snack may depend on the allergies in my class this year.

I know I like the thought of getting that break in the morning and I suppose I forgot that I'm usually starving by the time the kids go to their special class (which is right before their lunch). I can eat my lunch early, they cant.

Thanks for your input. We dont have a morning recess in my school. I think they see it as a waste of instruction time but I guess starving children who are antsy to get to lunch are also a waste of instruction time.

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

I don't know how useful this answer is because I have older children, but the upper grades allow their kids to bring a snack to eat around 10:30. They eat it while they are working. We don't take time out to snack, but they seem to be able to eat and work at the same time. They carry water bottles around with them. Water is good for the brain, not so good for ADHD students who use it as a toy. :)

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

They had snack time in my grade level before I got there, but I didn't feel they needed it. The longest they go in the day without eating is 3 hours. We don't have time during that three hours to stop for a snack. And I figure as they get older, they can handle not eating for three hours. I never have anyone complain that they're hungry.

I did have a child with ADHD last year who had a snack because he was very small and his medication made him not want to eat. It was hard to fit in time for him to eat the snack, so I can only imagine if I had to find time for the whole class. Our school day is not that long and we have a lot to fit in!

20. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Aug 15, 2010

Healthy Snack Only

When I have had snack time in my room in years prior I would enforce the healthy snack only such as a fresh fruit or vegetable only! If you start saying crackers are acceptable they start to bring chips and can get out of control. I also have a designated working snack time say from 11:00-11:15 and as soon as 11:15 comes they must put everything away.

21. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I have snack time everyday regardless of our lunch schedule. I turned mine into "Snack Math" and we use that time for sorting, word problems, graphing, etc. Even if all I have them do is count their snack, I never just hand it to them to eat.

As far as unhealthy foods...we sent home a list of what we wanted them to bring and if someone didn't sent in appropriate food, I sent it home with a note. I also allowed the parents to send in a few dollars each six weeks and I would purchase the snacks.