Snack Time Materials Management

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Titwillow, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Nov 9, 2010

What does your preschool do for breakfast and snack time? We have a sea of plastic bowls with their names floating on the table that are always in a huge mess. It helps with their name recognition but takes so long for them to find their name (amongst 30 other bowls) plus getting in line for the food. The same with cups with their names. A sea of cups getting knocked over five or six kids waiting to try and read their name amongst 30 other cups. Help! THanks!!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 9, 2010

Hmmmm I will think about that. I personally love the "recognition" aspect of snack set up....but I can see that 30 is toooooo much.

What are your rules regarding the bowls and cups. Are you mandated either by your program or your state to label both? Are you always eating bowl items? Tell me more?

My initial thought is to divide the groups up since I imagine your table doesn't seat all 30 side by side. So that you have only say 8 knocking into each other rather than all 30 wandering.

I have some other partial ideas as well.......fill me in on some more details.

4. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Nov 9, 2010

I don't know the health rules behind the bowls and cups. We wash them and dry them and put them back out unless they are creepy.

We use the bowl as the carrier to carry snacks that need bowls like cereal and for other items like bananas that don't need bowls. We were using small paper throw away plates but the cost was too much for the provider.

There are 20 or so kids who eat breakfast. Since we don't have the man power to find those exact 20 out of the 30-all 30 are laid out. We have roughly 10-15 kids in one group for snack...the kids change from day to day so instead of grouping them (which changes daily) we just lay all of them out. It's such a head ache.

I would rather just use napkins and forget plates and bowls!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 9, 2010

Take the names off the bowls and cups.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2010

When I taught preK, I used all disposible cups, napkins and plates.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 9, 2010

ok.......the names on bowls and cups here are to combat germs but if you aren't sanitizing then the point is moot.

I would say have a placemat or a name plate that is the name and take that to your seat. Come back for drink and bowl. Two steps.....or find name plate and sit and get the rest delivered by staff?

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 9, 2010

I guess I need more information. Why do the cups and bowls have names on them? Is this a day care or preschool? Are you USDA or licensed? And, you say the children line up--to get food?

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 10, 2010

I agree paper can be expensive. We have gone to all plastic as well in order to combat the wastefulness and the expense of paper.

We are dishwashing everything in the middle...so that it is just a plate. Our state mandates that if they are not all washed and sanitized that a dish be assigned to a person for the duration of their attendance. When I said that without sanitizing the issue was moot.....i was multitasking. I apologize op. I didn't mean to offend. I meant if the rules were making you do one thing....sanitizing would be high on your list of priorities (authorities like sanitizing). So yes....I agree with blue and am still waiting for more info.

If you washing were to include sanitizing (spraying with a bleach bottle of the proper mix and then air drying) then you could take the names off and just use the dishes as dishes and move to my other post.

However, if that doesn't work.....then I need to have the other info.

10. aeger908

aeger908 Rookie

Nov 11, 2010

snack

In my classroom we use place-mats. Each student sits at a place-mat with an empty plastic cup. The snack is in the middle of the table. We work on letting the students serve themselves. I let them know how much they can have and they take it. I have a measuring cup for when they can have for example "a 1/3 of a cup of goldfish." I also have a liquid measuring cup full of juice. At the beginning of the year I help them pour the juice. Eventually they learn to do it themselves.

Hope this helps!

11. skerns

skerns Companion

Nov 11, 2010

Our preschool uses coffee filters and plastic dishwasher safe cups. They do not have their names on them. They have many other opportunities for name recognition. The coffee filters are cheap and work great for most snack items. We put vegetables, crackers, popcorn, cheese, fruit, just about anything in them to serve. The students do not serve themselves, but they do clean up for themselves.

Hope this makes sense :)

12. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 15, 2010

How many tables and how many teachers do you have? Why are your kids getting in a line?

When I worked at head start, for snack we:

-Washed and sanitized bowls and cups daily- no names on them.

-Had 3 tables with a teacher or aide at each

-Had a snack helper who would help lay out spoons/bowls/napkins at each place and large bowls and serving spoons with snacks at the center of each table.

-One teacher called kids one-at-a-time to go find a seat, the other two teachers were waiting at the tables to assist kids in serving themselves.

This worked well.

13. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Nov 15, 2010

I've changed things with the help of you awesome teachers!!! We are now doing family style serving for snack time with brown paper towels for a place mat. We will probably get coffee filters for bowls soon. We have rid ourselves of the 30+ bowls and cups with names on them and now just wash and reuse daily. On each table we have extra napkins, utensils, etc. It seemed to work today (even though it was the first day)!!! THank you!!

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 15, 2010

Glad we could help.....your plan sounds like our snack service......good luck!

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 15, 2010

Good for you to find a solution that fits your needs.