Smoked Salmon Anyone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 2, 2015

I eat salmon, but not cooked in this way. I finally bought some at the grocery store. Which tastes better? The store had Atlantic, Norwegian, or Scottish smoked salmon. I read the ingredients, which weren't too different really.

I bought the Atlantic salmon. I hope it's good.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

Smoked salmon tends to be more of an appetizer, nibble sort of fish. . Nice with good crackers or on dark bread open faced with a bit of cucumber or tomato as a tartine with a glass of wine.:D Or made into a dip or spread. Here we also eat a lot of cured salmon called lox and is great on a bagel with a schmear of cream cheese,Also good on buttered pumpernickel with a slice of red onion and some capers.

The difference between Atlantic, Norwegian, etc, etc tends to be where the fish was caught or farmed and the type of wood used for smoking. I prefer wild caught over farmed for any fish I eat. The different woods impart different favors and levels of smokiness..a matter of personal taste preferences.

Quality varies among brands. I prefer to get mine at the local deli.

4. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 2, 2015

Smoked salmon is a regular part of my diet. I just love it. I buy it at Costco (great quality and just too expensive otherwise) and usually do it lox-style on a bagel with cream cheese, onions, capers, and a lemon squeezed on top. Some people also do tomatoes on there but I'm lazy. I also just eat it with some thinly sliced onions and lemon, or on top of a simple salad. It's great on various appetizers but I just don't make appetizers in my daily life. :D

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 2, 2015

Thanks guys. I just got 4 oz. of it at Bristol Farms, an upscale, pricey grocery store. Their deli section had it, but I got it packaged in another refrigerated section of the store. I'm going to the grocery store again today, so I may get cream cheese, bagels, & chives to eat it with.

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 2, 2015

I should try to find a deli that makes it locally. I love fish, but I have never liked any smoked salmon bought from the grocery store...

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

Some good fish mongers also have great smoked fish.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 4, 2015

So I tried the Atlantic smoked salmon w/ Philadelphia brand chive & onion cream cheese on a bagel. I'm not really a fan, however, better to have tried & disliked than never to have tried at all! :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

À chacun son goût
    :p

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

This thread reminds me that I have a couple of small packages of smoked salmon in the freezer. I think I'll get one out to add to my salad tomorrow.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

:thumb: