Smellys??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newbie0809, Jan 27, 2011.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jan 27, 2011

I was in a school today where students being dismissed were sitting quietly in the hallways. Well a couple of the students were walking around with open scented chapstick i.e lipsmackers and rubbing it in a circular motion on top of students hands. I asked them what they were doing and they explained that if someone is sitting quietly they would get a "smelly"

I made a post a while back about if it was a good idea to give students hand stamps at the end of the day for good behavior or something but was told it wouldn't be a good idea because parents would find it messy and other reasons. Well now I'm thinking of doing this "smelly" thing because chapstick will pretty much absorb into the skin and easy to wash off. What do you think? Anyone do this?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 27, 2011

I've heard of that before, but I haven't done it. I think it's kind of weird.

4. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jan 27, 2011

Really? Why do you think it's weird?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

I think I would avoid it.

You don't want small kids thinking that chapstick is to be used for anything but their lips-- that you can put it on other kids' dirty hands, or their faces. They'll be sure to try it at home, and it raises sanitation issues.

And of course, your room will smell like a fruit salad.

And their hands (and by extension, their papers and their hair and eveything else) will get greasy.

Nope, I would stick to stickers on tests.

6. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jan 27, 2011

Well if I were to do it I would take off the wrappers so maybe they wouldn't know it was chapstick? (probably still would). And just do it once a day or once a week at the end of the day and only on top of their hand. Like I had said in my other post I used to love getting stamps on my hand as a child but many people here are against it.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 27, 2011

I don't think it's bad, and I wouldn't care if someone did it, but I think it's weird to rub chapstick on a kid's hand. :lol: Plus, is sticky. And I could see some kids licking it.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 27, 2011

We use Smellies in kinder. The kids love it. It is a small mark. Only a dot will do.

9. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jan 27, 2011

Mrachelle when do u give them?

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 27, 2011

I would be careful about using anything that is considered medicinal on a child without written permission from a parent.

We are not even allowed to use sunburn screen on a child without written permission.

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 27, 2011

What a waste of somewhat of an expensive health item.....

12. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jan 27, 2011

I don't think it's a waste or expensive. I could get a pack of 5-6 lipsmackers for a few dollars and I'd barely use a dab of it on each child just enough to get a scent. I use chapstick liberally several times A day and it takes me months just to get through one.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 28, 2011

I don't think the lip smackers could really be considered a health item.

You can find packs of them at the dollar store.

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

I use it - I don't use chapstick, its the flavored lip balm. Perfectly fine. Kids don't use them only me. I like it better than stamps because it doesn't stay on their hands. It's better than candy and I have all kinds of flavors.

15. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jan 28, 2011

Skittleroo I would do the flavored lip balm as well. When do you use it? How do you explain it to parents?

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 28, 2011

OMG--you can get 3 for $1 at Dollar Tree. They don't hurt...but if you have concern, send home a note that says you will be doing this in place of stamps. I would rather have my child place a small circle of lip balm on the back of their hand than a stamp that won't come off. We use them anytime you would use a stamp or sticker...good paper, appropriate behavior, for helping...etc.

17. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Jan 28, 2011

I would avoid it. Some people have severe allergies to topical products (I have a long history of awful allergic reactions to seemingly harmless skincare products). The fragrances in products are notorious for causing these allergic reactions. I think it's a liability.

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 28, 2011

This brought back memories of watermelon lip smackers. I loved that stuff:)

I have to say when I first read this I also thought it was odd. I guess because it is sticky and takes awhile to absorb into the skin. But apparently others do it, and it works. What grade are you thinking about doing this in? Also, won't there be some kids who hate the scent?

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 28, 2011

I carry several flavors around...watermelon, strawberry, and blueberry. I teach 6 year olds. I also used it when I taught 2nd grade. My kids loved it and I never had any complaints.

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

Interesting idea...however, it reminded me of the 8th graders I used to teach who would color all over their black sweatshirt cuffs with permanent marker and then sit and sniff it all day.
    I'm with Alice I think. I always discouraged my own children from using any substance in a way for which it wasn't designed. A crazy, harmless type of abuse, yes, but it somehow doesn't feel right anyway. JMHO

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 28, 2011

By the way, it wears off usually in 30 minutes or so. Sometimes less because they rub it trying to spread it around.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

There are so many ways to positively reinforce your kids' behaviors/ achievements ... Stickers, thumbs up, pat on the back... Stay away from ink and chemicals...you don't want to encourage kids smelling in scents as a reinforcer.:dizzy:

23. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

parents love it and I have even had comments that they like that is doesn't stain their hand for days like stamps.

I've used it for 7 years (so over 200 kids) and never a problem....

I always ask if the child wants it. They know to put their hand down if they don't want it. But that is rare.

24. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jan 28, 2011

I don't think it's as serious as some of you are making it out to be. I remember in elem when we had the scratch and sniff stickers, scented markers, scented stamps. Yes sometimes we would just sit there and smell them but it didn't make us want to sniff harmful things. I think it's innocent and the child always has the option to say no. I just like to have a variety of reinforcers.

25. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 28, 2011

I haven't used it, but I don't think it's a serious issue, either.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

Parents love it?:dizzy:

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

My kids, especially my youngest, have always enjoyed playing school. Kira's teachers would probably die if they heard all the things we've heard her repeat to her "students" and all the actions she's immitated.

I would not be thrilled to see her put some chapstick on someone's dirty hand, then use it later herself. (And, yes, she would use it later, or the next day. I promise.)

Is it a big deal? Nope. Life's too short to make a big deal out of something this trivial.

But you asked opinions. Mine is that it's not the best idea. I would rather see my daughter's teacher use stickers or something else on paper.

28. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

yep - think it's cute and the kids love it. I sure am glad that as teachers we can all make some decisions for ourselves. I would hate if one person chose for all of us.

I hate when my kid comes home with stamps and stickers (stamps are hard to wash off, usually take 2 or 3 nights) and (stickers come home and get stuck everywhere). But I don't make it an issue. I just deal with it. Their teachers decided to use stamps or stickers as a small reward and my children like it, so.....

I like using the invisible smelly - my choice, my classroom.

Of course if I ever had a parent specifically say they wish for their child not to have, I would respect that. Never has happened. It's really just not an issue.

29. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

My teaching partner and I used smellies. The kids love it. You can buy the 3/1.00 at the dollar store! I take off the wrapper and it is just a white tube. When someone is following procedure, I just say I like the way you are following procedure, you just earned a smellie (something like that)anyway, just swipe a small dot on their hand. I have never noticed it being greasy and they have never licked it. They love it!!! In fact, one mother asked where we got our smellie and what it was bcs her daughter loved it. She wanted to use it at home!! One child asked me where I got it and I just replied "At the Smellie Place"

30. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2011

Dr Jean uses it and calls it a happy chappy. I would also take off the label. I hate stickers on the kids' shirts (my own kids have had SOOOOO many shirts ruined by stickers I missed in the wash) and stamps stain their skin. I actually had to ask one teacher to not stamp my kids' hands for a week because they were in a wedding and it regularly took more than 4 days for the stamp to wash off.....

31. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 30, 2011

I've never heard of this. I don't believe it is something I would do nor something that my own personal children would like.

What about passing germs from one kid's hand to another? I do use blueberry scented stamp pads to stamp their papers. They love this and it doesn't cause any issues for anyone. :)

32. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2011

again - to each his/her own:whistle::whistle:

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2011

The OP asked for thoughts. Not everyone is going to agree on any classroom practice and of course people will have questions and differing opinions. Someone saying that they wouldn't use an idea or questioning its implications is simply adding to the discourse...it's not an indictment of a practice to question, or even to choose not to implement, that practice.

34. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2011

Everyone's thoughts amuse me.
    Thoughts will vary from person to person about those smelly things. Just like thoughts on the way you run every other aspect of your classroom. People will always have thoughts. Some will make you chuckle.
    Perhaps at Parent Night at the beginning of the year, you can explain it as an incentive and if the parents have a problem, they can notify you.
    If someone has allergies, a parent or the school nurse should be able to notify you...

35. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jan 30, 2011

I LOVED doing Smelly's with my Kinders!!! They got more excited about those than stickers or stamps, etc. And it was so much less of a mess than stamps. I did them for 3 years with not a single complaint from anyone. Go for it!

36. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

I don't really see an issue with passing germs. Elementary children play on the playground holding hands, monkey bars, swings, etc... and I don't see a "smellie" passing as many germs as these things. I guess it is just a personal preference..

37. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 30, 2011

Hmmmm, I do like this idea.

Blue you are right, in our enviornments it would totally be considered "medicine". Believe me, many of your couldn't imagine the amount of things that some programs consider a "health item" and require it to be LOCKED up and away from the children. Good Grief!

But, I do like this idea....and I agree there is already so much touching going on that one more time for germs to get passed is maybe not an issue? hmmmmmmmmm.......