smelly classroom rug

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 22, 2012

I have a large classroom rug that smells like dirty feet. I got the rug 2 years ago from our district storage. My school custodians shampoo it each summer but by October it smells again. I have even shampooed it myself with my steam cleaner. I have also tried putting baking soda on it and letting it sit for a few day, yet the odor comes back. Any suggestions on what else I can do? I don't want to give up my large rug b/c we have morning circle on it and my kids use it for centers. Also, there is no $ to buy a new one:(

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2012

Sounds like a mold issue. I'd scrap it...especially since it originally came from storage...eek. You could have some major health issues if it is a mold issue...see if you could get some carpet squares donated from a carpet shop...:unsure:

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2012

I'd try dousing it with vinegar or a combination of vinegar and baking soda. Spray the whole rug, top and bottom, until the whole thing is very damp. Wipe it down with a clean cloth and let it dry. If it still smells bad after it dries, throw it out.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 22, 2012

I would try vinegar too, even better if you can get some help taking it outside to let the sun help clean and dry it too.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2012

As a parent, I would not want my child sitting on it. I agree that is sounds like a mold issue. Try contacting Home Depot, Lowes or local carpet stores. I've always been given very large remnants for free. Home Depot is especially great about it if you talk directly to the general manager and explain your situation. You could also try donorschoose. But, I would not keep that rug in my room especially not knowing the history of it.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2012

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

I would first shampoo the rug again.
    After you have dampened it with the vinegar/baking soda, I would hang it outside.

Some rugs just smell even when it's clean and not mold.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

Throw it over a fence on the hottest day of the summer...let it stay in the sun as long as possible. Then spray with a solution of water (one quart) and bleach (one tablespoon). This will evaporate along with the oder and if it is mold it will help.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2012

Outside in the sun is the key after using vinegar. The sun and acid should kill the mold if hung outside and allowed to completely dry.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2012

Ewwwww. I'd just toss it and get a new one.