Smartboards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbitt, May 2, 2008.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 2, 2008

I was at a math conference in Green Lake WI and was shocked at how many classrooms had smartboards. We have one for the entire elementary. I am jealous and want one.

Do you have one in your classroom?

How long?

How did you get one? Was it your request, grant writing, part of your school tech budget?

Is there something similar yet cheaper?

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 3, 2008

4. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 3, 2008

We always get one of everything and the whole elementary department is supposed to "share." That is a big fat joke. All that moving around is also not good for the equipment.

There are several videos on teacher tube showing smartboards in use in the classroom.

Our math teachers use it a lot at our school.

5. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 3, 2008

Yes, every teacher in my district has one. We got them about 4 years ago. Actually, all science teachers got one...then the next year, math and exploratories...then the next year, social studies...then, language arts. This year, we all got plasma screens connected to our computers, document camera, smart notebook, etc. It is much better than the smartboard and is connected at all times - there is no set-up. We still have our smartboards but I do not think anyone hardly uses them. I have it set-up in the back for group work and student presentations.

We got all this through a technology grant - 21st century classrooms. We are a low socio-economic school with high test scores. We get a lot of free stuff. I am very blessed to have found such a great school.

6. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

May 3, 2008

My entire high school has one. I'm not sure where the money came from. Its my first year at the school and they were already in the works when I got here. We've remodeled the entire school-a basic gutted out the frame and redo. We have them mounted to the walls with a projector from the ceiling aimed at it. We connect our computers (for powerpoint notes/united streaming) or we have a 'entertainment' system so to speak that consists of a vcr/dvd combo and a radio/soon to be cable tv box that also connects. We use it for everything that we before have used a pull down screen, overhead projectors things of that nature. We all got them in January when we moved to our new rooms. I use mine just about every day. All I do to connect to my computer is put a little plug thingie in (about 3 minutes or less tops) If I'm using the vcr/dvd its just a matter of turning the dvd on. I teach in Kentucky, but live in Ohio and my old high school (the one i attended) only has one or two smartboards for the entire school and they fight over them.

I rarely use my dry erase boards all my notes are powerpoint. I mainly use it to write due dates or if we are doing group projects add extra instructions or examples on it. I LOVE the smartboard

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 3, 2008

This is my third year with one. The district purchased one for each school in the district. I agreed to go to the training at a business college in return for letting it stay in my room . . . and agreeing to let others borrow it or trade out rooms with me to use it.

Part way through last year we got 17 more of them through a university partnership. Those were to come with a wall-mounted board, ceiling mounted projector, wireless slate, document camera, audio enhancement system, and student responders. I asked for an upgrade. I got it since I used the board all the time.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 3, 2008

DaTeach, I have never heard of teacher tube. I just signed up for it!
    There is one smartboard at my school. Sadly no one knows how to hook it up or where the installation disk is. It's at least 6 years old and just gathers dust. Does anyone know of a good technology grant I could apply for. I would like to get a projector (school only has one of those, too), document camera (none of these at my school), and smartboard and bring some technology to my class.

9. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

May 3, 2008

Both of the high schools in my town have a Smart Board in every class - both are new constructions and they budgeted for technology when they were built. A large number of teachers in the middle school and elementary schools have them too. I have one on loan from the computer lab right now, but will be getting my own at the completion of a technology course I'm taking through the district (after taking the course we get $ to spend on technology & most of us use it for a Smart Board, but some are getting laptops or document cameras or Quizmos or Digital Microscopes). There've been several purchased this year at my school using $ raised through the BoxTop program and some have been purchased through PTA funds.

10. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

May 3, 2008

I got my first one in the middle of last year. There were two portables. We ecently got more wall-mounted boards. There are two portables, one in the library. The other is outside my room. It hasn't been used since it left my room. The projector is in the office and the laptop went back on the cart with the other laptops.

I use my Smartboard throughout the day and love it!

Our Smartboards were purchased by the district. They are in our technology plan.

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 3, 2008

The school I am in now has one for the entire school..I love it! But like someone else said I bet all that moving around isnt great for the equipment.

Does anyone else have a hard time writing on them though...When I write on the board all the letters are on top of eachother or slanted! Im sure I just need to use the equipment more but its annoying.

12. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

May 4, 2008

deedee, if the letters are on top of each other, it might need reoriented. It is very easy to do. Do you know how?

13. stavb

stavb Rookie

May 5, 2008

How do you use your smartboards?

I'm so excited to see that Smartboards are making their way into classrooms. Do you have any innovative ways to use your smartboards? Do you mostly use it for PowerPoint presentations or do your students go up to the board and do stuff with it too?

Stav

14. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

May 5, 2008

15. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

May 5, 2008

Thank for the link! It looks intesting!

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 6, 2008

I've had mine for 2 years and got it through Title funds. I use it for writing activities, powerpoint presentations, United Streaming, and on-line math games on Friday math game day. Mine isn't mounted and is a pain. Next year, I plan to have it and the projector mounted in my room for daily use.

17. stavb

stavb Rookie

May 7, 2008

Follow up question, when you see activities online that are interactive and your students can do, do they need to be modified in order to work with the smartboard or can you usually use it just as is.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 7, 2008

I have heard of there being a version that came out before the smartboard, where you tack it onto your chalkboard/whiteboard and plug it into your computer to work. I *think* it might need one of those computer overhead projectors to work though.

I'll ask my boyfriend about it--- I'm assuming it would be much cheaper than a smartboard and one of his high school teachers uses one.

(Btw, I <3 the SmartBoard, had one for my 7th grade student teaching--- I won't be having one though for this teaching position :()

19. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

May 7, 2008

As long as you're accessing the internet from the computer your projector is hooked up with, I'd just use it as is.

20. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

May 8, 2008

You have your computer plugged into an overhead projector..they board comes with a computer disk that installs the smartboard software. When you pull that up and its 'tools' then you are able to write on the board if needed, the smartboard in our rooms are generally always 'on', just not in working order because the smartboard tools aren't 'on' , on the computer. If you are just wanting to show a movie, no need for the software. When I do Pwrpt pres, i do use the software that will turn the slides for me, so i don't have to stay or keep walking back to my laptop, I can stay at the front of the room if necessary and continue to walk around.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 9, 2008

So are you saying that you use your Smart Board as a regular white board as well? Is that risky for washing and overuse and damage? I am quite new to this.

22. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

May 9, 2008

I think they are referring to the capability of smart board software to create a digital "whiteboard." There is a small Smart Board menu you can pull up on your computer screen, that allows you to switch in between using the Smart Board "pens" as a mouse and as writing tools. Choosing to use the pens as writing tools allows you to digitally "write" on whatever is showing on your computer screen.

23. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 9, 2008

I have a Polyvision board which is very similar to a Smartboard. (cheaper, so I've been told) Basically it is just a different brand. I love it. With the Polyvision board you write with your finger instead of the pens that are used with the Smartboard. I have used both, the Smartboard brand and now my Polyvision board. I can use dry erase markers on mine but I don't. Why bother with the mess when I can write anything with my finger in about any color! The kids just love coming up to it and writing with their fingers.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2008

I'd never seen a Smartboard until about six months ago. Most of the school districts where I have subbed cannot afford this technology. It's a fun novelty for me at the moment!

25. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 9, 2008

It was a fun novelty for me too when I first got it now i can't even imagine teaching without it. I have the only one in my building and it is mounted so I will never leave my classroom for another grade level. I think I'm stuck in first grade, my board has me hostage in my room!:lol:

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 9, 2008

My last school had two-one in my room and one in the adjoining room. I guess they bought one and got the other one thrown in for free, because the company wanted the whole school to eventually get them. You could check into that (Promethian was the brand). No one at my school could hook mine up for months, and then about two weeks after it started working, the projector bulb burned out and the principal never replaced it. Meanwhile, I had no white board, because they had replaced that with the smartboard. So I had nothing to write on for 6 science classes. Just one of the reasons I left. If you're going to have technology, you have to budget for repairs!!

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 9, 2008

I LOVED using our voting eggs-that's what I mostly used it for. The kids were each assigned an egg (they were numbered), and they could buzz in answers to the questions on the board. The software read their answers and would graph them for us, so we could see how many students chose A, B, C, etc. I could instantly see who was understanding and who wasn't, because I could also pull up individual students and see all their answers. That was fantastic. I had forgotten about that...

28. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 10, 2008

Has anyone heard of eBeam? It's a projector that turns any whiteboard into an interactive board. I think this would be great for classes with no room to have a Smartboard mounted and don't have a convenient space for the freestanding one.

29. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

May 10, 2008

A cool trick I've used with a SmartBoard is taking one of the pens from its holder, and then writing with my finger while holding the pen in my other hand. It allows me to write with my finger.

30. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

Yes, I saw an ad for one of those in a technology magazine. My mind started racing with possibilities! Not having to mount a big board that will end up all smudgy.

31. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

Yes I have a smartboard in my room as do all of the other third grade teachers. It started 2 years ago and only fourth grade teachers had them then this past year they were given to third grade teachers and next year the second grade will have them. It will eventually filter all the way down. Also this year we were given elmos and love them both. I am a new teacher and love using new and exciting technology with my kids. As for funding they were included in our technology budget, but our principal was who really pushed for us to get them.

32. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

Oh I forgot to add that one of my favorite things during student teaching was to use the dice on the smartboard. My tables were numbered 1-6 and each student at the table had a number 1-4. I just touched the dice on the board and it would roll. First a table then a student number. It was a fun way to chose a student to answer a question. They enjoy it and it keeps them on their toes.

33. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

I don't have a Smart Board. I have an ACTIVboard (kind of the same though). I've had it for two years. All 3-5 teachers in my building have one along with a lot of other 21st century classroom stuff. We got it through a grant. There has been some talk of putting one in every classroom eventually. Like another poster said, I could not imagine teaching w/o it.

34. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2008

I requested to have mine mounted this year, but we are really tight with the budget and they couldn't do it. Lucky for me, because I ended up having to switch rooms. I think I'll make do with a portable unit.

35. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2008

Most online games fit my need especially with math. I do wish there were more resources because I end up having to create many of my own.

36. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2008

I used a set up like this years ago and really liked it. We had a cart with a laptop and an overhead and it shot it to the screen. I worked pretty well considering it was the early 90's .