SmartBoards

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by darzie, Jan 20, 2008.

1. darzie

darzie Companion

Jan 20, 2008

Hi! I got a new smartboard in my class this year, and I'm so excited. I've been learning to use it, but I still have much to learn. If anyone has any ideas, sites, or any other info to help, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!:help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2008

Is a smartboard the same as a Promethean Activboard? I just got one of those a few weeks ago and I'm still learning it. I love that you can watch TV on it!

4. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jan 21, 2008

I want a Smart Board so badly!!! I'm so jealous! In my credential program we got to observe a teacher using one and it looks like it has endless teaching possibilities! Have fun learning with that awesome tool!:up:

5. darzie

darzie Companion

Jan 21, 2008

I don't know what a Promethean Activboard is, but a Smartboard is a large interactive white board that hooks up to your computer. Whatever you're showing on your computer is on the board, and you (or the kids) are able to come to the board, write on it, work on it, save it, print it, etc., just like a computer (but better). There are interactive activities for it, and I've found some online, but I was wondering if anyone else had found some. It has way too many features to mention here, but if anyone has a few grand lying around, this would be a great place to spend it!

6. tgrlily

tgrlily New Member

Jan 22, 2008

If you have a smart board, you must learn to create PowerPoint presentations. I don't have a smart board but do have a projector which connects to my computer and allows me to present material using PowerPoint. It is great! The kids feel like they are at the movies! I also have student responders which allows me to quiz the students about the presentation. They can respond anonymously without fear of getting the wrong answer and having the entire class know. This gives me instant feedback about whether the students have grasped the concept I was trying to teach.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

We just got one this year and are still figuring out what to do with it. Here are 3 activities we currently use it for.

We've gone to interactive websites such as www.starfall.com.

We had an intern scan our entire math book. Everyday we use the smartboard to teach "problem of the day" and to demonstrate understanding of whatever lesson that was taught by having the students write answers to some of the problems.

We scan our weekly journal entries and some students are selected to read their journals to the class. We give specific praise, ask questions and then give feedback (so the student can edit their work). Their original is in their journal and their edited work goes in another folder after we print it.

8. darzie

darzie Companion

Jan 22, 2008

I have found many websites with powerpoint presentations that are interactive for the smartboard. They're awesome. The kids love using them, and so do I! I also can show student writing samples found online or ones that I've scanned, and they can become interactive as well. The kids can write on the board, I can save it to my computer, then print out as many copies as I may need. Wonderful!

9. Mrs. W.

Mrs. W. Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

SmartBoard Resources

There are so many activities you can use with the SmartBoard! Just do a simple search online, and you will find millions. My students respond really well to this large timer/stopwatch that counts up and down. It has made transition times so easy! (online-stopwatch.com)

*On a side note, I have been without my SmartBoard since November. The bulb burned out, and it is over $250 to replace it. I'm still waiting. Unfortunately, my school district didn't take maintenance into consideration. I hope your district is better prepared...once you start using the SmartBoard, you won't want to give it up!

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 22, 2008

Can you tell me more about the student responders?

11. tgrlily

tgrlily New Member

Jan 23, 2008

The responders I use come from Classroom Performance System. You can find information about them by googling them. (Sorry, I tried to post a link to their site, but I apparently haven't been a member of these forums long enough.) They are like little remote controls. I ask a multiple choice question, the students enter what they think the answer is, then we get a graph showing how many students picked each answer. The responders can fully integrate powerpoint presentations which makes it easy.

I hear Accelerated Math from Renaissance Learning has responders available now also, but I don't know whether they can be integrated with other programs.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2008

I want to start using the Smartboard so bad!!!! There are two of them in the media center collecting dust. I asked the atttendant about it and she said she could only find the software for Macs. I'm gonna have to request have the software transfered from another school.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2008

Do you need a projector when you use a smartboard?

14. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jan 25, 2008

We have smartboards in our new rooms and they are SO wonderful.
    All you need is a projector (ours is attached to the ceiling) and a computer. We also have a dvd/vcr wired in so we can show movies, we are getting cable tv to run through all of it around March.

I use PowerPoint for note taking and the students need a current events component so I do a game using PowerPoint and I am able to touch the topic, point value and question (jeopardy-ish) The students like "Play Vanna" with it.

There is SO MUCH you can do with this thing! I'm still learning. I'm going to go 'google' some websites as well.

15. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jan 25, 2008

You do need a projector to use the board.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2008

Thanks.

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2008

18. darzie

darzie Companion

Jan 26, 2008

How do you use GoogleEarth in your lessons? I have never used it before, and it sounds fascinating! Can you do historical places?

19. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2008

I have used it when I have done mapping skills. I have had the kids look up places we were studying.

20. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2008

If you google Powerpoint Games you will get a ton of hits. I just did a Password game that I will be using with my kids on Monday.

21. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 27, 2008

I just got one about three weeks ago and LOVE IT!!!!! Have you tried United Streaming? Wonderful! You can also create flipcharts or powerpoints and convert. Students can drag, underline, write, or type items on screen - so it can be interactive. I have used it almost everyday since I got it!:haha:

22. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jan 29, 2008

I, however, can post links! :)
    http://www.einstruction.com/
    Let me state that these things are bloody cool. My friend in another county has them, and when I went to visit her I wanted to nick 'em!