SmartBoards

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Pigger, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Mar 15, 2007

Are any of you using SmartBoards in your classrooms?

If so....
    What grade? How? Are you pleased?
    What do you think?
    What are your feelings/opinions?

Thanks.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 15, 2007

I've had a SmartBoard for over a year. I teach 7th grade language arts. I do pretty much everything on my board. In addition to being hooked to the computer, mine is also hooked to the television (cable), the VCR/DVD player, the audio enhancement system, and a document camera. I've also got "clickers" which are student responders.

I got my board last year, and we just got 17 more this past month.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 15, 2007

I have one and have never used it. I have no clue how. Ima want to fly out to Scaryville and teach me how to use it?:D

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2007

I teach first grade and have one, actually I have everything Ima has except the clickers. I use it everyday for everything!!!!! I really don't know what I would do without it!!!!!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 15, 2007

I'd absolutely love a Smartboard.
    I just haven't figured out how to get one!

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2007

Miss Kirby is there any local grants available?

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 15, 2007

Not that I know of.

9. blessed2teach

blessed2teach Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

I teach first grade. I have only had my Smartboard since January. I do everything on it - from lunch count in the morning to using it as a literacy center during guided reading. It is great! I would hate to be without it!

10. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 15, 2007

What is a smartboard??

11. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Mar 16, 2007

blessed2teach,

could you give specific examples?
    how do you use it for lunch count?
    do you organize your literacy centers with it?
    i'm still learning about them....any specifics would help me gain a better understanding.

thanks.

12. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Mar 16, 2007

i found the definition below on the internet....i'm still learning too.

What is a SMARTboard? It is an interactive whiteboard that is connected to a computer and a data projector. Once the computer image is projected on the board, the SMARTboard can be used as a computer. By just using your finger you can control the computer.

13. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 16, 2007

Do ACTIVBoards count? I have a Promethean ACTIVBoard that is essentially the same thing as a SMART board, just a different brand name. I got my board in January and now I couldn't live without it. I also do everything on it just like another poster said. I have my word wall on it, I do interactive writing (morning message), absolutely everything! I also have the voting system (ie clickers) and they're wonderful learning tools as well. Here's a link to the technology page on my website: ~vanna's technology page~

14. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 16, 2007

OOPS! I realized I didn't respond to the OP's original questions:
    What grade? Pre-K
    Are you pleased? Absolutely, 100%
    What are your feelings/opinions? Couldn't live without it, if you don't have one you have to get one. They're revolutionizing the way we teach forever!

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2007

I use it in 2nd Grade
    Pleased? Well, I would say 90% pleased. It's not mounted so finding a spot to wheel it to to store in my room is a pain and the cords are not long enough. Would LOVE to have it mounted. Maybe next year I will.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 16, 2007

Do your districts order them for you?

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2007

My district ordered and had it installed for me. I am only one of three classrooms that have it in our district. I feel very fortunate. I too, also use it every morning to take attendance and lunch count. I use it all day long.

Vanna I see you have the Promethean ACTIVBoard. I have the Polyvision board, same concept, different brand. I was at a conference today and saw your type being used. Do you always have to use the stylist? Mine you can use either way, with the stylist or with your finger. I never use the stylist, I always use my finger.

18. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 17, 2007

Yes, you always use the stylus with Promethean ACTIVboards. Since I don't know any different it doesn't bother me :) In answer to the poster who asked where we get our boards...my district is piloting the boards in select classrooms, every grade. They selected our campus to pilot the boards for PK and we were the lucky ones. They will probably have them for everybody soon. Ours are mounted on the wall, I wouldn't like it at all if they were not mounted, the stands are enormous and take up a lot of room. Plus, if they are not mounted every time they move even a fraction of an inch you have to recalibrate them, which is a big pain imo.

19. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2007

Same here Vanna, I piloted it for my district too. Mine is also mounted. One on a stand would be a pain.

20. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Mar 17, 2007

My district passed a 41 million dollar technology bond the other year. At the end of this year all secondary math/science rooms will have a smartboard and all elementary classrooms

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 17, 2007

Do those of you with the SmartBoards also have the tablet PC's? I didn't with my original setup, but when they installed my new one--which is wall-mounted instead of on a stand, I got several new items with it, including a document camera and a tablet PC. The PC's aren't in yet, so I'm still waiting. I'm excited. I'm geeky enough to love gadgets. LOL

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2007

I am getting one of the small ones that is connected to my computer through a grant with my district this summer. I have to go to several trainings and create 2 lesson plans to use with it. It is to go with my projector & document imager I got in January.

23. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2007

Ima I just went to a technology conference and saw the tablets. You are so lucky, I wish I had one. The document camera are awesome! I'm with you...gotta love those gadgets!