SMARTboard

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by wcormode, Aug 17, 2010.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I am a new teacher and will be teaching high school math. Our first inservice is next Monday and it will focus almost completely on the use of SMARTboards. They had a few boards last year on rollers and they rotated rooms depending on need. This year they have three new ones in boxes as yet to be decided on their permanent location.

If I had a one I know for a fact I would use it every day. I would use it for Warm-Up problems and notes. Plus I would use it for example problems in lieu of a dry erase board.

Since they have not decided on location yet I am assuming there was desire but no specific person clamoring for them. What grounds do I have as a first year teacher to ask for one to be installed in my room? It may be no problem but I dont want to sound needy in asking for one. I am sure it will be cleared up that day if their location is open to debate.

Also, are there any good websites for Math activities on the SMARTboard. Having specific things in mind may solidify my case.

Thanks

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

We had a similar situation and the boards all went to new teachers who were anxious to put them into use. They have all gotten permanently installed boards because they proved that the technology would be used. Hope your school does the same.

4. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 17, 2010

Last year I was a second year teacher at my school and I got a interactive whiteboard, while very few older teachers did.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 17, 2010

6. quesoqueen

quesoqueen Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

7. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

That is what I was hoping. I would assume that the older teachers have everything like they want it and would be adverse to starting a whole new method. If I go without it this year I should be set up for next year and am not sure I would want to switch.

I will put some feelers out then or I may not get anything because they thought I wasnt interested.

Thank you

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

Definitely let the admin know that you would be interested in a SmartBoard in your room. However, if you don't get one keep requesting to use the mobile ones...that way next year, you would be first up!
    Many older teachers don't want one because it does mean change some of how they teach. However, if you do get one as a first year teacher, it might cause some frustration from the older teachers and lead to potential riffs between you and other members on your team.

9. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Well I was asking the principal about when the tech person would be here to fix the printers and I asked if they were going to be installing the SMARTboards soon and he said yes they should be doing that today. I assume that means I am a no. Maybe I can borrow the mobile version to start the year. :(

edit: Talked to him again about the portable SMARTboards and he said they would be very available because the 3 new boards are going to the teachers who used the portables the most last year.

Now I guess I need to figure out a sensible way to move the projector around so that I can use it easily.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

Sorry. If you utilize the mobile version, you could be a go for next year. Keep your spirits up!

11. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

I have heard a rumor that our school might be getting a smartboard. I would love to try it out - I think it would be great for teaching science!