SmartBoard tech question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 15, 2012

I moved rooms this year and took my computer since it had all my documents on it. I made notes as to how everything was hooked up and thought I did it right. Apparently not. My SmartBoard comes on, but the green light just blinks. It doesn't show my computer screen, all it shows is a blue screen. Our tech person basically doesn't exist. One of the teachers in my building didn't have a computer for the first two months of school last year. I've looked at other teachers', but they're setup is different from mine. I guess because mine is one of the older ones. The only teacher who got one at the same time I did can't get to the back of her computer, lol. Mine has a little box that three cables hook in the back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Beth

3. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

I can try and help but I don't know what wire and ports are called so I don't know I will be a huge help...... I know what it should look like and can troubleshoot but my tech lingo is lacking. Hopefully someone who is a bit more techy than me can jump in but if not.....

do you have a camera phone? If you could take pics and post them that would help.

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 15, 2012

Yes! That is a great idea, and I will post a pic tomorrow if I can't get it worked out!

ETA: I've hooked, unhooked, and rebooted to no avail.

Beth

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 15, 2012

We have Promethean now, so you can my advice with a grain of salt. The blinking green light is a bit troubling for me, since a blinking light can sometimes mean a burnt-out bulb on the Prometheans.

I'm assuming you tried rebooting your computer if you connected anything after you turned your hardware on.

Another thing to do is to unplug and replug everything. With our Prometheans, if we get a yellow flashing light that blinks seven times, the tech said I am supposed to unplug a certain cable from the projector for 10 seconds and then plug it back in. It could be something like that with yours.

Are you sure it is set to display your computer? When I had a Smartboard, there were buttons that changed it from computer to TV, etc.

When you say yours is one of the "older ones," do you mean your computer or your board? If you were using an older board and changed to a new one, you might try downloading the latest drivers, or uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and Smart Notebook. Making sure everything is up-to-date fixes some problems.

Now that I have typed all of that, I realized that I should have probably first asked if you could call the Smart people. I have found the Promethean people to be pretty helpful with fixing things, though we have been under warranty. It might be different this year now that we are out of warranty.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 15, 2012

Ooops...just saw that you unhooked, hooked, and rebooted!

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2012

The problem must be coming from the output of the computer to the input of the projector because the projector is working.

Or it could be even simpler. The projector has different outputs like a tv. On your tv you can switch HDMI 1, HDMI 2, Video 1, Video 2, Component 1, Component 2, etc. Depending on what you want to watch TV, VCR, DVD, etc. you'd choose a different source. There should be a button on your projector or remote that switches sources.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 15, 2012

Sometimes, the usb cable is not plugged tight into the smartboard itself. That can cause problems. Don't just check the connections at your computer - check them at your projector, Elmo (if you have one), and smartboard as well. I've hooked up all 12 of them at my school - to laptops and desktops both... If you can post pics, that would be a great help.

10. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Aug 15, 2012

Is this a laptop or desktop? I ask because I had the same problem last year and...you are going to laugh...I fixed it by closing the laptop for about ten seconds and then opening it back up. I know, and your problem may not get better this way, but I tell you it worked every time it happened. It even happened to the Principal during an assembly with a completely different computer and projector. No one could get it to work and I ran up, closed the laptop and opened it and everything started to project. Unless I'm magical, you might want to give that a try!

11. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 16, 2012

On the back, right side of my Smartboard there is a "reset" button that needs to be pushed at the beginning of each year. This button basically syncs the Smartboard to the computer. Have you tried pushing that?