Smartboard question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teach2read10, Oct 4, 2009.

1. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 4, 2009

How much did your Smartboard cost? Are there cheaper competitor products available?

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

I don't know how much they cost but we have a Polyvision board which is just about the same thing. I was told we got that one because it was cheaper. You can do everything on it you can do on a Smartboard brand. We even use the Smartboard Notebook software on it.

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 4, 2009

I don't have my SMARTboard yet, but I got a grant to get one. Our district is looking at Promethium (sp) board because they are supposed to be a little cheaper. Tech guru says they are pretty much the same, just mount a little differently.

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

I know a teacher with the Promethium board and she really likes it.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2009

I have a Promethian Activeboard and love it.
    It is about $2K with out installation. With an iBook and everything, the final bill was between $5000-6000.

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

Giraffe can you "write" on it with your finger or do you have to use a stylist?

8. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Oct 4, 2009

You have to use a pen on a Promethean board. The plus for that with elementary students is that the board is very sturdy. Smartboards are much more sensitive. The board also stays clean because it doesn't have little fingerprints all over it :) I've heard from people at technology conferences that elementary teachers tend to prefer the Promethean boards while high school teachers prefer the Smartboards.

I tried out both types of boards at a conference, and I much prefer the Promethean board with the pen. I suppose it is a personal preference if you prefer having a pen to write with versus just using your fingers. I have had one for a few years and absolutely love it!!!! Mine has the projector attached, it is height adjustable, and I have a set of Activotes. I think the total with the votes was over $5000.

9. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Oct 4, 2009

Not sure of the cost...but I have a Smartboard and LOVE it. Every teacher in our elementary school has one (classroom, spec. ed, title 1, music, art, and we all think they're amazing). I teach first grade and my students are fantastic with it. I've never heard of the other boards, but I can speak to how great the Smartboard is! Good luck getting one!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2009

I have a wand, as well as 2 pens. I often misplace one, LOL.

11. MrDuey

MrDuey New Member

Oct 5, 2009

SMART Boards are great for engaging

I would highly suggest a SMART Board. The investment is priceless for the amount of interaction and creativity you can implement in your class. I just did a rap video using my SMART Board to my song called "Long Division". Look at some of the capabilities, search Mr. Duey in Google and click on my videos page. Or just search Mr. Duey on YouTube.

Thanks and good luck,

Mr. Duey
    :)