SmartBoard Pointer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by corunnermom, Oct 21, 2018.

1. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Oct 21, 2018

I teach first grade and my students have a hard time reaching the SmartBoard! I'd like to MAKE pointers for them to use, as I'm on a budget. Any ideas of what I could attach to the end of dowel rod or PVC pipe that would be safe for the SmartBoard? Thanks so much!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 22, 2018

Stilts? J/K!
    [​IMG]

I like that pointer idea but I wonder if it would work to drag pictures on the board.

mathmagic likes this.
  5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 22, 2018

Small nerf balls (the foam kind). These work amazing (and the basketball that is about the size of a softball works better than the football).

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Oct 22, 2018

I've used a magician's wand made of plastic nylon that worked perfectly with the SmartBoard - images could be dragged around like magic. Worked great for writing and drawing too. The tip of the pointer should be round and smooth. Perhaps you can use a cooking utensil with a long handle made of nylon. Look around in your kitchen or pick one up at the Dollar Tree. Be sure to train your students to use the pointer properly so that they don't dent or damage the board.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 22, 2018

Is your SmartBoard the kind use touch with your finger, or the kind you need a special pen for?

For the ones with the special pen, can you replace it with these types of items? I've never considered that.

8. Been There

Been There Habitué

Oct 24, 2018

SmartBoards seem to work best with their dedicated pens. You can experiment with various pointers made of different materials, but most will probably not work. My nylon wand helped young students to reach up high on the board and kept sticky fingers off the board. Fingers don't seem to slide very well on the board whether they're sticky or not. Of course, you can also easily change colors with the wand by removing the desired colored pen from the tray.

Keep in mind that any long-handled pointer will require the user to apply a consistent amount of pressure for the board to respond appropriately - not always easy to accomplish regardless of one's age. SmartBoards are inherently not precision instruments and any alternative pointer will present some additional challenges. To help students who may be having difficulty manipulating images on the board, I would sometimes provide unobtrusive assistance via my laptop. Students were usually so engaged that they didn't seem to notice any difference!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2018

Our K teachers got the custodians to build a long box/step for the kids to stand on at SmartBoard.

otterpop likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 25, 2018

That's a great idea.