Smartboard in 2nd Grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by SaraFirst, Mar 14, 2009.

1. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Mar 14, 2009

I might be getting a smartboard! I have to submit lessons on how I would use it. I've been looking on the internet and found some lessons, but there were tons to look through. Does anyone have any ideas specific to second grade that would wow the selection committee? I don't know all of the possibilities, since I don't have one. That makes it kind of hard to say how I would use it!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2009

4. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Mar 14, 2009

I have a smartboard. To help me get a better idea of what types of lessons to suggest, it would help to understand what equipment you already have. Do you already have a projector and/or document camera in your room? Or is this grant for a smartboard & projector? (I'm so excited for you! I LOVE mine!!)

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Mar 14, 2009

I don't have anything yet. I think a projector will come with it, but I'm not sure.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 14, 2009

Sara,
    To use the SmartBoard you need a projector, the SmartBoard itself, and a computer (usually a laptop, but it could be hooked up to your teacher computer if it is close enough to where you need to put the projector.) You have to think about electrical outlets and cords, because this is a big issue when SmartBoards are put in rooms that weren't designed for them (which is most classrooms in America.)

One activity I like to do on the SmartBoard is a simple "spinning vortex" game. (It is really just sorting.) For example, if you are studying habitats, you would make one vortex say Grasslands and the other say Desert. You would then put ten or so words in to be sorted -- for example camel. lizard, elephant, lion, etc. Once you make the game on the Smartboard software, there will be two spinning vortex circles labeled Grasslands and Deserts. A card will flash up that says elephants. A child goes up and touches the elephant card and drags it into the correct vortex. If it is correct, it disappears into the spinning circle. If it is incorrect, the spinning circle spits it back out for another try.

There are dozens of games like this you can easily make with the software.

If you would like to see what you can do with it, you can download a free trial of the software to your home computer at http://smarttech.com/ If you go to the download page, you want to select Smartboard Notebook (the one on the top) and then choose your operating system. It will work for a certain number of days (30 I think) unless your division purchases it, and then you will get a key to keep it working.

If you download the software and then send me your email addy in a pm, I'll be glad to email you an example of what I just described so you can see it for yourself.

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Mar 14, 2009

Thanks for the tips. I do have a laptop, but nothing else yet. I like your habitat game idea. I know they are looking for lessons with a lot of student interaction.

8. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Mar 14, 2009

I agree w/ RainStorm . . . download the Notebook software for the 30 day trial period & test it out. If you're familiar with powerpoint, it's VERY similar.

Every morning I do my daily calendar activities on the smartboard. I have 2 calendar helpers each week that call up students to do the different activities & so it's all interactive for them.

Some examples of these calendar activities are: # days in school (place value chart), counting coins, fact families, greater/less than, one more/less and ten more/less, time, so on & so on. I have several different calendar slides that I do & each month I change it up so it doesn't get too boring. I'll also try to connect some of these slides to the math concepts that we're studying in our math book that month. Another thing I like to do is set up a link w/in the slides to an actual website that has some an interactive game they can practice the skill on.

I don't know the specifics on what you're supposed to write in your application, but another thing I might suggest is to give a sample unit or series of lessons that you would do that incorporates the the smartboard & student interaction. If you want more details, PM me w/ your email and I can give you more info/examples. Good luck!

9. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 24, 2009

I do calendar on the SMARTboard too. I love my calendar lessons and they took me HOURS to create! If you google smartboard lessons usd259 my district has tons of lessons by grade. Check them out.

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

I think we might be getting some, too, for K-2! The 3-5 classes already have them and I've been jealous all year.